IGNORED

DIY Linear Power Supply for CAT

I just finished this PSU for my CAT. Some figures measured from the AC receptacle (with +/-5% error I suppose)

-when PC is off (in standby mode): 20W

-when PC just starts (where the peak comes): 90W

-when PC running smooth after boot up: 70W

The circuit design refers to this:

Linear ATX power supply - diyAudio

with some change of regulators (I use LT1083 for every voltages, and dual 12V rails), basically they are the same thing just more capacity.

IMG_1215.JPG

Player for PCM44.1: Squeezebox receiver (modified)

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

DAC: Lampizator Lv7

Tube Amp: YS-Audio Pre+Power

My DIY: http://obeediy.blogspot.com

There are 6 rails:

12V 9A - CPU

12V 9A - The 12V for MB and HDD/CDROM

5V 6A - The 5V for MB and standby

3.3V 6A - The 3.3V for MB

5V 1.5A - The SSD

5V 1.5A - AdnacoS3B fiber-to-USB converter

More internal photos.

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

Well done. Did you use the same method for managing the power good delay?

BTW you have allowed for rather massive current needs. I have a single 12V rail with super regulator and low ESR caps feeding a Pico PSU. I have measured the current on this rail when running JRiver etc. For audio playback, whether playing stereo out of my ESI Juli@ XTe card with upgraded clocks or multichannel ISO via HDMI, it draws just 1.1A. Playing DVD ISO it draws about 2.1A. (ASRock Z87E-ITX mobo with Haswell i5-4570T processor.)

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Very nice!!! How do you like it's performance?

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Kenneth, really basic question - can you supply me with the part numbers for the 12V2 connector (and the related pins for it)? (the 2x2 connector for +12V to the processor)

An easy next step for me given my current setup would be to run this connection for the processor 12V directly from my 12V rail rather than from the PicoPSU.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Really great. How much it costed you to build, if that's not too intrusive?:)

That's the next step I want to tackle with my pc audio, since it's a streacom FC7 evo, external PSU sound logical.

It cost me about 400 USD to build, it could be lower because I over ordered some parts and didn't used some other parts.

I didn't do anything on the power good delay, can you explain this to me a bit more? Thanks

It is explained in post 6 of the diy link you posted. Some boards will not boot and some will, it seems that you used one that will. You can read about what the power good role is in the ATX specification but if yours works that is fine.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/241533-linear-atx-power-supply.html

Your understanding of the circuit is correct. The "power good" signal is tied to the +5v rail. Such delay - the ramp of the regulator output, slightly delayed by the cap on the adjust pin - may not be sufficient for all boards, but it works perfectly with mine.

It is explained in post 6 of the diy link you posted. Some boards will not boot and some will, it seems that you used one that will. You can read about what the power good role is in the ATX specification but if yours works that is fine.

Linear ATX power supply - diyAudio

[/font][/color]

Thanks.

That might be why sometimes when I switch on the PSU and power on the PC, the Q-code flashes and enters CMOS, but if I power on the PSU and wait for 10 seconds before pressing power on in PC, it boot up smoothly.

... just the bass is more textured.

I love comments like this. Just what do you mean by "textured"?

I didn't do anything on the power good delay, can you explain this to me a bit more? Thanks

You built a circuit you didn't understand?

Another way to manage the power on etc for an ATX supply is with one of these:

TPS3510PE4 Texas Instruments | Mouser

Hello JJJ,

I think that you need this: Molex 170001-0104 (170001-0104 - MOLEX 170001-0104 - CONNECTOR, HOUSING, RCPT, 4POS | Newark element14 US)

Actually, according to this document on pg 38 http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf the required connector is MOLEX 39-01-2040 or equivalent

39-01-2040 Molex | Mouser