IGNORED

Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard DSD on Acoustic Sounds

Anybody try this? I've got the recent Japanese SHM-SACD (and DSD rip) of this album which I like a lot so I won't be purchasing it most likely.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

The concert was actually at a jazz club, not a newspaper ;)

The AP SACD mastering (the source of this DSD release) sounds very good. However with "Waltz for Debby" (recorded at the same concert), the new mastering for the HDtracks download (24/96 and 24/192) is better than the AP SACD of the same album. Less distant, more dynamic.

So the DSD download of "Vanguard" is probably not definitive in terms of quality. Unfortunately, the did not do a new transfer for that album.

Waltz For Debby 192/24 | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/what-does-waltz-debby-24-192-sound-14139/

Claude

The concert was actually at a jazz club, not a newspaper ;)

Ugh…I hate being THAT idiot! Oh well…if the shoe fits.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

The AP SACD mastering (the source of this DSD release) sounds very good. However with "Waltz for Debby" (recorded at the same concert), the new mastering for the HDtracks download (24/96 and 24/192) is better than the AP SACD of the same album. Less distant, more dynamic.

So the DSD download of "Vanguard" is probably not definitive in terms of quality. Unfortunately, the did not do a new transfer for that album.

Waltz For Debby 192/24 | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/what-does-waltz-debby-24-192-sound-14139/

Thanks for the info, Claude. I will stick with my Japanese SHM-SACD copy since I like it very much…no need to go backwards!

John

Have three CD set. Happened to listen to disc 1 tonight and saw this thread, a coincidence.

Given the amazing sonics of the CD reissue with all sets at the Vanguard (3 CDs), why care about some hirez version that is incomplete, short of two discs worth of amazing playing by masters???

Particularly since it was recorded in 1961 on magnetic tape.

Scott LaFaro, he was Jaco 15 years earlier!

Still waiting for some music that begs to be heard on DSD.

Tone with Soul

With these vintage recordings, it's not so much about DSD or even hi-rez, but about the transfer and mastering quality.

The in-house masterings by the (ex-)Fantasy studios - where the 3CD set was made - have always been decent, but remasterings by audiophile labels (DCC, XRCD, etc) have usually been better, sometimes spectacularly better.

That's why with every new reissue, on any format, the question comes up if it sounds better than the previous ones.

When I bought the "Waltz for Debby" SACD, I thought it could not sound better, but then the HDtracks download again came closer to "being there".

Claude

+1

It doesn't matter that the original is old and on tape. Especially in digital conversion from analog, techniques and HW today are much better than even a decade ago, and the results can be spectacular when the remaster is done the right way.

With these vintage recordings, it's not so much about DSD or even hi-rez, but about the transfer and mastering quality.

The in-house masterings by the (ex-)Fantasy studios - where the 3CD set was made - have always been decent, but remasterings by audiophile labels (DCC, XRCD, etc) have usually been better, sometimes spectacularly better.

That's why with every new reissue, on any format, the question comes up if it sounds better than the previous ones.

When I bought the "Waltz for Debby" SACD, I thought it could not sound better, but then the HDtracks download again came closer to "being there".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

+1

It doesn't matter that the original is old and on tape. Especially in digital conversion from analog, techniques and HW today are much better than even a decade ago, and the results can be spectacular when the remaster is done the right way.

Was listening to 3 CD set rip on dedicated Mini > Audirvana + SRC x2 >FW to Mytek > McCormack DNA 500 > Aerial 10Ts last evening, sounds like time travel to the Vanguard, I place I frequented when living in NYC, AND sat in for all sets.

Maybe for $25 one hears the cocktail glasses clink with more accuracy during the edited down version???

Tone with Soul

Hey 57, I didn't say the CD doesn't sound good. It does. My quote above wasn't referring to the Bill Evans at the Vanguard. But the HDT is a little better sounding than the CD.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

90% of 1950's and 60's jazz is recorded like that, and even many contemporary jazz albums

Until the late 60's, the piano was usually recorded with one microphone. Having the piano spread over a larger part of the soundstage is quite recent.

Claude

90% of 1950's and 60's jazz is recorded like that, and even many contemporary jazz albums

Until the late 60's, the piano was usually recorded with one microphone. Having the piano spread over a larger part of the soundstage is quite recent.

Good to know CatManDo, I'm just getting into some of the older jazz material and wasn't familiar with this style of mixing.