IGNORED

If you had (only) 5k to spend

I have a small office that I spend way too much time in, and am looking for a desktop setup. I and am really only concerned about listening through a new set of headphones also not yet purchased. I'll be using my MacBook Pro with Amarra or JRiver as the source. Chris has given a really strong review to the Meridian Prime. If you add in the Prime power supply and a sennheiser 650, by example you are just under 4 grand. But of course there are so many other possibilities. For instance maybe the primary investment should be a pair of LCD 3s....I am lucky that I have a clean slate to start.

So here's the million dollar question, what combinations would you recommend?

Much appreciate your suggestions!

Brad

As you know, there are numerous potential "correct" answers to your question. Added to that, you haven't stated what kind of music files you have or anticipate having(redbook only? 24/192 hi res? DSD?). You hint that LCD-3's interest you but headphone choices are very personal on a number of levels.

So with that out of the way, what would I do if I were you? I'd get an Auralic Gemini 2000 combination amp and DAC that plays all of the file types listed above and then some, plus it comes with a Klutz design headphone stand built in that would look elegant and take up very little real estate on your desktop. Next, I would probably opt for a pair of Sennheiser HD800's because they match up well soundwise with Auralic products, plus they're lightweight so they can be worn comfortably all day long. The LCD-3 and LCD-X are great phones but they're quite heavy weight wise. Either way, it's up to your own preferences and taste. That puts you at 4k with the Gemini, and the Sennheisers or the Audezes, leaving you 1k for music and esoteric cables(if cables matter to you and are to be part of your initial expenses).

Esau

As you know, there are numerous potential "correct" answers to your question. Added to that, you haven't stated what kind of music files you have or anticipate having(redbook only? 24/192 hi res? DSD?). You hint that LCD-3's interest you but headphone choices are very personal on a number of levels.

Esau

This is exactly the type of feedback I am hoping for. Yes I would like to take advantage of HD file types to include 24/192 and DSD. I recognize that choosing headphones or any components certainly includes a subjective element. I have been very interested in the HD 800s but cautious as I've read that they can be quite unforgiving with some content unless matched really well with an amp. So I really appreciate the suggestion of the Auralic as being well matched.

I would spend $150 on a Dragonfly 2.0, $350 on any decent set of headphones, and $4.5K on a nice trip to Tahiti.

Either that or go all in for quality and surround:

Smyth Realiser A8 with a pair of Stax. *

Alternatively with a pair of Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs if you for some reason prefer closed cans.

Luxury challenge - enjoy how ever you roll!

I'm on wgscott's recipe, so I'm cheering for a virtual Mac Realizer for surround:

Out of your head software.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I have a small office that I spend way too much time in, and am looking for a desktop setup. I and am really only concerned about listening through a new set of headphones also not yet purchased. I'll be using my MacBook Pro with Amarra or JRiver as the source. Chris has given a really strong review to the Meridian Prime. If you add in the Prime power supply and a sennheiser 650, by example you are just under 4 grand. But of course there are so many other possibilities. For instance maybe the primary investment should be a pair of LCD 3s....I am lucky that I have a clean slate to start. So here's the million dollar question, what combinations would you recommend?

Much appreciate your suggestions!Brad

Your mention of the LCD-3 is a definite pointer in the right direction. A few weeks ago I had my first listen to a couple of planars (Mad Dog and ZMF), having had the Senn HD800 and 100 others, and certain planars are the way to go I think. The greater musicality from the planar drivers is unmistakeable. The Mad Dog is excellent (or better), and my Alpha Dog hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how it compares to the Mad Dog. Headfonia has done a thorough review on the LCD-X, and if I were buying Audeze, that's the one I would get.

I would spend $150 on a Dragonfly 2.0, $350 on any decent set of headphones, and $4.5K on a nice trip to Tahiti.

Well that would get me out of the small office I spend too much time in.....

The Auralic looks very cool though and would last longer than my fading memory of Tahiti. Although I don't see many reviews...Does any one else have a favorite combo to throw into the mix?

Your mention of the LCD-3 is a definite pointer in the right direction. A few weeks ago I had my first listen to a couple of planars (Mad Dog and ZMF), having had the Senn HD800 and 100 others, and certain planars are the way to go I think. The greater musicality from the planar drivers is unmistakeable. The Mad Dog is excellent (or better), and my Alpha Dog hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how it compares to the Mad Dog. Headfonia has done a thorough review on the LCD-X, and if I were buying Audeze, that's the one I would get.

Great suggestions but what would I plug them into? ;-)

If I were to go with a separate DAC and amp, the amp I would choose would be the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. The built in DAC is okay and it doesn't do DSD but the amp section is to die for. It also plays nice with both the Senn HD800 and the LCD-3(I know cuz I own all 3). It's also a thing of physical beauty and would look great on your desktop connected to your MacBook Pro.

Esau

wa7-feature.jpg

fireflies.jpg

Tough to argue with Bill on this, :).

One choice is whether you go with active or passive monitors. The former make it easier to keep the clutter down on your desk but you typically lose some ability to tinker with your set up. I use a set up like that at work and I like it a lot.

I went with passive monitors for my home set up. It's tough to keep the number of boxes down at that point so I ended up using an equipment rack. I picked up a refurbished idecco and a pair of PSB imagine minis. They're really sweet speakers and I recommend them highly.

Personally I don't like large monitors for near field as I find they don't image that well. But if you go with smaller speakers, you may want to add a subwoofer to your system.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Actually I will disagree with Bill on this, :). I'd go dragonfly 2.0 to asgard schiit 2 to a set of cans that float your boat. That will still leave well over $3k for a nice trip depending on how much you want to spend on headphones.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Are you the only one in the office? I asked because the decision of open or closed headphones depends on how much isolation you will need. For example In my case I would love to have open backed headphones for my bedroom desktop but my wife would not appreciate the noise coming out of my head while she watches TV. LOL

Are you the only one in the office? I asked because the decision of open or closed headphones depends on how much isolation you will need. For example In my case I would love to have open backed headphones for my bedroom desktop but my wife would not appreciate the noise coming out of my head while she watches TV. LOL

Well said. I believe I may go for the LCD XC. And possibly an Auralic Gemini. It would be great to read a thorough review but I've yet to find one. A combo vega and Taurus would be awesome but dear considering this is my office. The meridian still tempts me too... Easy and well reviewed, there are so many possibilities I am obsessing a bit reading about all the choices, woo, burson and on and on....

Depending on your needs for it being compact I would highly suggest separating the DAC from the amp. Just my opinion but it seems like DACs are improving very rapidly. Even the sub $1k DACs are very good sounding units and do things very well, next year who knows what improvements you will see. A great amp will still be a great amp in 5 years. So if I were trying to build a really fancy system I would go that route.

However, if I were spending my money I actually may consider a combination amp:

CEntrance Hifi M8 ($700) + Mr Speakers Alpha Dog ($600) - for $1300 you get VERY good sound with a desktop/portable setup and you could even take it on that flight to Tahiti.

But, if it were someone else's $5k I would consider the LCD-XC or Fostex TH-900. I haven't used either of those extensively so can't really comment on amp combinations. But either of those headphones are best in class type products for a closed headphone. Before committing to the Audeze I would really check out the Fostex if possible. It should be SIGNIFICANTlY lighter weight than the Audeze.

Well said. I believe I may go for the LCD XC. And possibly an Auralic Gemini. It would be great to read a thorough review but I've yet to find one. A combo vega and Taurus would be awesome but dear considering this is my office. The meridian still tempts me too... Easy and well reviewed, there are so many possibilities I am obsessing a bit reading about all the choices, woo, burson and on and on....

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Depending on your needs for it being compact I would highly suggest separating the DAC from the amp. Just my opinion but it seems like DACs are improving very rapidly. Even the sub $1k DACs are very good sounding units and do things very well, next year who knows what improvements you will see. A great amp will still be a great amp in 5 years. So if I were trying to build a really fancy system I would go that route.

However, if I were spending my money I actually may consider a combination amp:

CEntrance Hifi M8 ($700) + Mr Speakers Alpha Dog ($600) - for $1300 you get VERY good sound with a desktop/portable setup and you could even take it on that flight to Tahiti.

But, if it were someone else's $5k I would consider the LCD-XC or Fostex TH-900. I haven't used either of those extensively so can't really comment on amp combinations. But either of those headphones are best in class type products for a closed headphone. Before committing to the Audeze I would really check out the Fostex if possible. It should be SIGNIFICANTlY lighter weight than the Audeze.

Great advice! I am looking at the Alpha Dogs which have a ton of buzz right now and will look at the TH-900 for sure. Separating amp and dac makes great sense but it increases the possible choices even more! Can you name some separates you would consider? This is great stuff......

I know this is a bit OT, but I am compelled to show my friends office system.

He is in the renovated Clark building where they used to make Clark Bars (the candy bars, for those millenniums too young to know of such things).

It is systems like this that prove full, rich, clean, seamless, non-fatiguing & involving properly executed single-driver, flea-watt systems can provide jaw-dropping sound that have always compelled me to try one for myself. Maybe when I am relegated to the 'waiting to die home' & forced into major downsizing i'll assemble one for myself. No one would believe the extended & tight bottom-end reach this system achieves without actually hearing it in person.

EM.jpg

spkr.jpg

desk1.jpg

sign.jpg

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

He is in the renovated Clark building where they used to make Clark Bars (the candy bars, for those millenniums too young to know of such things).

It is systems like this that prove full, rich, clean, seamless, non-fatiguing & involving properly executed single-driver, flea-watt systems can provide jaw-dropping sound that have always compelled me to try one for myself. Maybe when I am relegated to the 'waiting to die home' & forced into major downsizing i'll assemble one for myself. No one would believe the extended & tight bottom-end reach this system achieves without actually hearing it in person.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11647[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11648[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11649[/ATTACH]

So cool. Can you mention the components? Also the brand of whiskey on the desk? ;-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11647[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11648[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11649[/ATTACH]

Nice pipe resonances on those bad boys!......yeah. Gotta love this hobby!

@sspiper-

Please forgive me for sidetracking your thread.

If you wish I can create a separate thread.

Most importantly, the 'bottle' pictured is Zaya 'sipping' rum.

Belonging to one of my V close friends who is quite an aficionado of such spirits, he considers it 'third tier'.

I found it quite smooth & refined.

Obviously, my pallet is far less cultivated regarding such delicacies.

The speakers are a DIY design called the Zigmahornets, with information available HERE

The drivers are Merrill's own design, but alas they are no longer available.

Other options include Ted Jordan drivers.

You can find a lot of other full range drivers cheaper than the Jordans but not many better.

Here are the plans for the cabinets: LINK

The receiver/amp is from a 14 brute-watt console unit from the 1960's that has been totally refurbished with some V good quality, precisely match NOS tubes. Total cost around $500 with all the work performed by its current owner.

At the time the photos were taken [last week] we were comparing two Schiit DACs, the Modi & original Schiit Bifrost (no USB card / no Uber DAC card) using the original Music Fidelity V-Link USB-S/PDIF converter.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Aside from type of music and bit rates , what type of home system do you have.

Also how much detail are you looking for. Not clarity but detail . As analytical extreme or laid back ?

HD800 extreme , lcd3 or X laid back. Also the hd800 Re much more picky with amps

as opposed to many other headphones not mattering nearly as much.

Al

Also if you go with the HD800. I would recommend the HDVD800. But get an AP1/PP

Any of the below 10k DACS need a USB converter to sound there best . An off ramp would be best but it would put you way over budget. Headphones about 1400 , ap1/pp 1300

hdvd800 2k . Usd

al