IGNORED

Does the cable matter

So I got this headphones and the audio quality is changes when I use them with a amazon basics 3.5mm male to male vs the one they came with. It feels that it become kind of flat when using the amazon basics cable.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does my analysis seem to be biased or is it a possibility

2. If I am right, can someone suggest a decent 3.5 male to male coiled cable?

I know that the shielding etc matters but I am new to this subject.

Thanks in advance..

Hi Prateekc, welcome to the forum! Believe it or not, that is a very "loaded" question. Some members will answer that cables, as long as they are solidly constructed, will all sound the same--so either the amazon cable was made poorly, or you are just imagining that you heard a difference! Other forum members will challenge: no, if a difference was heard, than it exists, and what's more, each variable in a cable (conductors, insulation, wire configuration, connector metallurgy, etc.) all contribute, or detract, to the sound of the cable.

i can't suggest a good upgrade cable to you, but there are members here who I'm sure can. They'll probably want to know what model and make headphones you have, what you are plugging them into, maybe what type of files your listening too, and what your budget is.

And report back back what your impressions are.

Hi Pooger,

Thanks for the quick response and the welcome.

I have Yamaha 500 pros. I am plugging them directly into my macbook pro (No DAC here). I have been using them to listen to youtube audio files, spotify and some high quality FLAC files that I have. In all cases the vocals seem to get lost in the background music as soon as I start using the amazon basics cable.

The link to the coiled cable is below:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics 3.5 mm Coiled Stereo Audio Cable Stretched Length 6.5 feet/2.0 Meters: MP3 Players & Accessories

My budget extends to about 60$ for the cable.

Thanks again.

Update:

I am using the cable with the remote (two cable came with the headphones one with the remote and one without it).

My gut feeling would be to never use a coiled cable like that, which reminds me of those old telephone handset cords, and use a straight cable of the required length, no matter how inconvenient that may be. (You could always use a shorter non coiled type)

It could be an interesting exercise to measure the inductance and capacitance of this curly cord against a normal one of the same ultimate length. In fact, I believe that all headphone cables should be 4 wires not 3, with individual instead of shared "earth return" wires, and no electrical connection whatsoever between either earpiece.

(flame suit is on!)

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

So I got this headphones and the audio quality is changes when I use them with a amazon basics 3.5mm male to male vs the one they came with. It feels that it become kind of flat when using the amazon basics cable.

I have 2 questions:

Thanks in advance..

Yes Prateekc. The cable does matter. The cable should be constructed of high quality materials and manufactured to the best standards possible. You do not have to spend a lot of money for such cables.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I have 2 questions:

Thanks in advance..

What you heard is probably right. The Amazon Basics 3.5mm cable probably sounded flat and muddy because it's not burned in. This is right out of the box, brand new right? Give it some time for it to thaw out. It should sound better after a few days of use.

bunny

• Windows PC + Creative EMU0404 USB DAC w/ stock USB cable
  • Focal CMS 65 speakers
  • Very hyper-end Power cables for all components

What you heard is probably right. The Amazon Basics 3.5mm cable probably sounded flat and muddy because it's not burned in. This is right out of the box, brand new right? Give it some time for it to thaw out. It should sound better after a few days of use.

bunny

bunny is my favorite poster on any internet forum anywhere, ever.