IGNORED

Anybody else have a problem with volume control on the Dirac driver?

I am using this on a 64 bit W7 PC. The problem is that when windows sends sounds to the driver, the output is (sometimes) REALLY loud, and I have to quickly go to the windows volume control to crank the slider down. Then it gets really quiet. When I move the slider back to the original position, it is back to the "normal" volume level. The Dirac volume slider in this case is usually the bottom 1/4. This usually happens when listening to streaming music thru Firefox, so it might be Adobe flash, or some other plugin that actually makes the sound.

I also have Foobar to listen to my music collection. For that, I use WASPI to the Dirac driver. The Dirac volume is all the way up, and Foobar controls the volume. Don't seem to have any problems here.

• 4 years later...

It is 2018 and I have this issue as well :)

Using HDMI to my pre/pro (UMC-200), to add a bit of information. 

@flak  - Perhaps there is a chance that the upcoming Dirac for PC version would solve this? :P

As a sidenote - It does wake me up when Netflix starts the next episode automatically so I find it useful to not falling asleep through an entire season.:P Talking about "it's not a bug, it's a feature". The only problem is with my neighbors and sometimes ears. 

On 19/3/2014 at 8:21 PM, beanbag said:

I am using this on a 64 bit W7 PC. The problem is that when windows sends sounds to the driver, the output is (sometimes) REALLY loud, and I have to quickly go to the windows volume control to crank the slider down. Then it gets really quiet. When I move the slider back to the original position, it is back to the "normal" volume level. The Dirac volume slider in this case is usually the bottom 1/4. This usually happens when listening to streaming music thru Firefox, so it might be Adobe flash, or some other plugin that actually makes the sound.

I also have Foobar to listen to my music collection. For that, I use WASPI to the Dirac driver. The Dirac volume is all the way up, and Foobar controls the volume. Don't seem to have any problems here.

Happy Easter beanbag and ronkuper!

What are you referring to when you mention "the dirac volume slider"?

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hi Flavio and very happy Easter to you as well! (Here in Israel it is actually Passover, still a holiday is a holiday :))

To your query - I didn't wrote "Dirac volume slider". 

For me it is actually the windows volume control, when that Dirac is used either as default device (through the "OS Mixer") or directly with an app like JRiver or Roon that opens it "Exclusively". 

In both cases the windows volume slider is functional and in both cases new playback is sometimes (haven't investigated deeply) playing at maximum volume regardless of were the windows volume is set and is resolved with a single touch of the volume (I use a keyboard with dedicated volume buttons but anything will do), regardless of if it was the volume up button or volume down button. 

Definitely the feel of a bug around this issue (I work in IT and software R&D). 

So to reiterate - with Dirac (connected to an HDMI avr, not sure if related) sometimes a new content (new episode in Netflix, new song in Roon, etc) is played at maximum volume even if the windows volume (affecting Dirac virtual sound card) is set to half the volume. 

A single "touch" of the windows volume (i.e. one step, either up or down) immediately sync the playing volume to the windows volume. 

I'll be happy to perfom more tests if you would like. 

hag sameah ronkuper... I was born in Israel as well :)

now developers are working on the new 2.0 version that is around the corner so no troubleshooting of 1.x version is currently done, I think that Dirac Live 2.0 is the version we should focus on because supposedly all users will migrate to it (being the upgrade free of charge)

And thanks for your offer of testing, we will be pleased to let you have a beta version as soon as available.

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)