IGNORED

Paul Pang pico psu 12v issue – pls help

Hello,

I have ordered Paul Pang pico PSU 12V and I have an issue with it.

The pb is that it is not able to supply HDD's, I have tried several models (2.5" and 3.5") – FYI it works fine with SDD.

I've checked the DC voltage output to 5V.

Q : Have you experienced same issue ? How to solve it ?

Thank you very much

Rgds

P.

It sounds like your 2.5 and 3.5 HDDs need a 12v feed (some 2.5s only need a 5v) and the psu isn't providing one, you need to contact Paul Pang.

Indeed this is the rootcause.

I have contacted Paul Pang but no reply for the moment.

Fact is that I'm a bit disapointed has this is something I was not aware about this PPA psu's and even after having exchanged via mails he did not warn me about this specificity.

Btw do you know why PPA do not wire the 12v on the molex ?

I've had a look on the PPA site after seeing a post on the same thread you have posted on Jplay and it clearly says on the PPA site a 40cm length +5v for ssd and a usb card:

SHOPPING AREA: DC to ATX 160W PSU

I agree.

Now in my mind it would be more relevant and useful for buyers to say what your stuff is NOT able to provide VS "standard" pico.

My proposal to prevent any buyer mistake would be something more like this :

Ex : "40cm length +5v for ssd and a usb card, NO +12v for hdd"

My 2cents

Rgds

PS : BTW no answer from PPA at this time ...

I'll mention it to him as well. English isn't his native language and I have re-written some of his product descriptions (sata cables etc.) for him.

I think by posting the picture along with the description he assumes that people will know that it is just 5v.

I received this from PPA (I've amended it slightly):

My pico is a regular pico but with my audio grade power cables.

To maximise the performance of the pico I recommend you don't power the HD or DVD-ROM from the pico.

That is because the HD and DVD-ROM needs +12V for the motor.

If you powered the motor from the pico then the noise from the motor will downgrade the sound quality.

That is why I don't offer +12V to the sata power cable.

Although my pico offers maximum 200W output, I recommend to use the pico under 100W output.

According to my testing, the sound quality will downgrade if the pico is run over 100W output.

You could use 2 rails PSU to power the CPU and the pico and it will bring good sound quality.

Finally, a linear PSU for the pico is important.

If you don't use the LPSU to power the pico then the pico will generate more noise than a regular ATX psu.

A linear PSU will make more smooth and analog like.