You can spend less with a custom build.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Thanks dminches,

I see that you have invested in a very nice system. I am looking at my system the same way; and looking at the investment that I have made in equipment that I already own. We all realize that a source componet is the limiting factor in the system, garbage in; garbage out. Over the years my source has changed from vinyl to mostly digital files being streamed to my system. I have never heard a caps system or a dedicated server, just the computer system that I have now, a fairly decent laptop with an I5 chip and 4 gigs of ram (this is my personal laptop and not dedicated to my system, using in a pinch until I solve this delima). The sound is pretty good at a $700.00 outlay. How does one progress from here with limited resources of getting hands on hearing? How much better can it be and making a stab in the dark with a choice?

Just a thought, have you tried Fidelizer on your existing pc?

Fidelizer - Instantly computer audiophile workstationWindows X's Live

Or even CAD optimizer:

Computer Audio Design » Computer setup

I have tried fidelizer but not CAD yet, I find it makes a nice difference.

I went from a day to day XP pc serving my music to currently a dedicated old PentiumD with 4Gig and Win8 pro, and disabling everything that is not used by the music server software, still some services to find out about.

From my little experience the next £ software step for me would be server 2012.

TBO I have not experimented with different hardware, but from what I have read it is worth while.

(EDIT: Oh saying that I was surprised to like the sound of a WD RE4 better than a Seagate, I was not expecting a change in sound when changing a hdd...)

Plenty of software / OS tweeks have kept me amazed, busy and happy.... ;-)

Sorry, if I missed it but you didn't mention about the rest of your system. Are you using the computer to output audio directly or are you using an external DAC of some sort. An external DAC is a huge improvement without having to even touch the computer if you haven't already made this step.

Personally I'd build a decent cheap PC... less than $400 and grab a copy of windows 2012 r2 and use AudiophileOptimizer... you won't get better sound... then save up for things like Audiophile USB card, low noise PSU, fanless case, etc to take it even to the next level.

There's a couple threads on Windows 2012 and the Phil's AudiophileOptimizer, might be one of the best things out there to date.

Anyone try using Windows 2012 Home Server or Windows 2012 Server essentials?

Standard 2012 R2 costs about $670 USD... Whew!

From what I've read, no need to buy it initially. You can get a 6 month trial version for free.

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.