IGNORED

Anyone using Wadia 171i transport? Is it still working with iPhone 5 & new iPad that running iOS 7?

Hi I'm looking for a good transport for iPhone/iPad that doesn't have a internal DAC, any recommendation on Wadia 171i and Cambridge iD100? Are they both work great?

I know Wadia is discontinued, is it still working with todays iOS 7? (I don't need to charge the battery and control the volume via the transport, just deliver data bypass i devices internal DAC is fine)

Seeking for advices on Coaxial cable (from transport to DAC), and digital to audio cable as well, any recommendation?

Thank you very much!

Hi I'm looking for a good transport for iPhone/iPad that doesn't have a internal DAC, any recommendation on Wadia 171i and Cambridge iD100? Are they both work great?

I know Wadia is discontinued, is it still working with todays iOS 7? (I don't need to charge the battery and control the volume via the transport, just deliver data bypass i devices internal DAC is fine)

Seeking for advices on Coaxial cable (from transport to DAC), and digital to audio cable as well, any recommendation?

Thank you very much!

Both the Cambridge and 171i will not act as a digital transport when connected to an iPhone 5 or new iPad. Both of those devices use the Lightning connector, while the Cambridge and 171i use the older "30 pin" connector. There is a Lightning-to-30 pin adapter sold by Apple, but that adapter has its own built-in DAC, so you would not be transporting an unaltered digital stream.

I think a common recommendation now is to get the Apple Camera Connector Kit (CCK) connected to a USB-to-SPDIF converter of some sort. The problem there then becomes if the USB-to-SPDIF converter works correctly with the iPhone/iPad or if it will complain of the converter using "too much power". Devices like the Resonessence Labs Concero may work as a USB to SPDIF converter with this sort of connection.

Good luck with your search!

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Arcam have announced a Lightning compatible dock - update: this is the rDock-Uni which should be available now.

I think (contrary to the opinion above) that lightning adaptor will work with the CA dock and offer digital from the iPad; not sure about the Wadia.

Alternatively the NuForce and others sold DACs which took the digital via a 30pin to USB or lightning to USB cable and also offered digital output via SPDIF.

Finally you could use AirPlay to Apple TV, Airport Express or other devices such as Arcam AirDAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you very much thrand1 and Eloise!

I'm very surprised and never know that there is a built-in-DAC inside the lighting connector as it's so tiny!

So I have 3 options now:

A) iDevice --> dock/transport (Wadia/CA/drDAC, etc) --> S/PDIF Cable (Coax/Toslink) --> External DAC --> Amp

B) iDevice + Camera Connection Kit/Computer --> USB Cable --> DAC (such as Concero) --> Amp

C) iDevice/Computer --> Wifi/Airplay --> Apple TV+External DAC / airDAC --> Amp

I'm quit hesitate and don't know how to choose :(

May I ask:

1 - Is there any sonic different on data transfer between S/PDIF Cable and USB Cable?

2 - Is there any limitation or big concern on using Airplay to transfer data? I mean compare to option A & B~~

3 - Should I use Coaxial Cable rather than Toslink Cable?

Thanks a lot!

Pros and cons...

A) The simplest option but is limited to 16/44.1 and 16/48. Guaranteed to work with devices that the manufacturer has certified them with; but longer term there may be changes which render the device inoperable. Neat solution (if you like the appearance) of just being able to plug the device in.

B) Potentially the best sounding option (depending on the DAC) but results can be hit and mix and what works now may not work if Apple change things in the iOS operating system. You maybe have more confidence in something like the iFi Nano DSD which specifically advertises that it works with iOS using Camera Connection Kit rather than other DACs which have just been found to work. You are limited to the DAC as purchased unless (like the Nano DSD) there is an SPDIF output.

C) The most user friendly as you can hold the iOS device in your hand. Limited to CDRB quality which is likely to get resampled to 48khz. The lower quality option as jitter can be high from Airport Express. Third party devices such as Marantz can give a decent sounding output.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm still using the 170i, the predecessor of the 171i, since the very first day it was available and I'm totally happy with it. It's the most enduring and reliable device in my chain while being fed by an iPod Classic full of ALAC files or by an iPhone 4 for streaming WIMP Hifi (comparable to Spotify but lossless) via digital out into my DAC. Outstanding performance when it needs to be quick and dirty. Besides that I hardly believe that using an adapter or adapter cable to connect an iPhone 5 would alter the stream as these connectors include an internal DAC chip. If so, why would connecting an iPhone 5 using an adapter transfer audio via it's digital out to my DAC, even if true, sound is still outstanding. BTW, I just upgraded my 170i with a new PSU and could improve sound quality to the next level. If you get one used or for an attractive price ... highly recommended. All my devices use iOS 7.

Pros and cons...

A) The simplest option but is limited to 16/44.1 and 16/48. Guaranteed to work with devices that the manufacturer has certified them with; but longer term there may be changes which render the device inoperable. Neat solution (if you like the appearance) of just being able to plug the device in.

B) Potentially the best sounding option (depending on the DAC) but results can be hit and mix and what works now may not work if Apple change things in the iOS operating system. You maybe have more confidence in something like the iFi Nano DSD which specifically advertises that it works with iOS using Camera Connection Kit rather than other DACs which have just been found to work. You are limited to the DAC as purchased unless (like the Nano DSD) there is an SPDIF output.

C) The most user friendly as you can hold the iOS device in your hand. Limited to CDRB quality which is likely to get resampled to 48khz. The lower quality option as jitter can be high from Airport Express. Third party devices such as Marantz can give a decent sounding output.

Eloise

Thank you very much for your advise!

I'm searching for DAC past few days and found that choices are very limited for iPhone and iPad, mostly they are so called portable DAC... I'm still thinking about it.

Would like to ask a question please forgive my naive, you mentioned "You are limited to the DAC as purchased unless (like the Nano DSD) there is an SPDIF output.", I don't quit understand this point as I only know to connect RCA from DAC to Amp, may I ask why would I need a S/PDIF output from a DAC and how important it is?

P.S.: I haven't get any DAC yet but bought a iUSB Power! This product is really interesting :D

I'm still using the 170i, the predecessor of the 171i, since the very first day it was available and I'm totally happy with it. It's the most enduring and reliable device in my chain while being fed by an iPod Classic full of ALAC files or by an iPhone 4 for streaming WIMP Hifi (comparable to Spotify but lossless) via digital out into my DAC. Outstanding performance when it needs to be quick and dirty. Besides that I hardly believe that using an adapter or adapter cable to connect an iPhone 5 would alter the stream as these connectors include an internal DAC chip. If so, why would connecting an iPhone 5 using an adapter transfer audio via it's digital out to my DAC, even if true, sound is still outstanding. BTW, I just upgraded my 170i with a new PSU and could improve sound quality to the next level. If you get one used or for an attractive price ... highly recommended. All my devices use iOS 7.

Thank you very much haujobb!

Very happy to hear that your Wadia is fine and healthy, I have more confidence to step forward to the Wadia transport now after read your sharing.

If I buy a transport, I need to pay extra but have a freedom to select any DAC; If I use USB cable, the DAC are limited; That's a very hard decision to make ^^"

May I ask what is PSU you mentioned above?

Thank again

My NuForce iDo has an RCA coax output and and works with the USB output from 4S and all 5 iPhones and Pads, so it'll do exactly what you want - and it's now only $149. I paid original list price ($279, I think) from Amazon when they first came out. Yes, you'll be using the NuForce DAC, but it's definitely better than the ones in iStuff (yes, it sounds better to me too).

NuForce makes excellent stuff that's well designed, well built and works great.

• 6 years later...

If someone could reinvent that i170, with lightning and USB C interface, I think it may be a hit. 

That product was ahead of its time. Just like Squeezebox. 

Not only as a Roon endpoint, but you could probably cast music from almost any app to such a device.

If the new Apple TV has digital out, it may not be a good idea for such a product. 

On 2/28/2014 at 6:55 PM, Audio_ELF said:

Alternatively the NuForce and others sold DACs which took the digital via a 30pin to USB or lightning to USB cable and also offered digital output via SPDIF.

The question is what you want to do with it.  As I said above, I have a NuForce iCanDo, which was designed for iStuff.  The lightning connector was introduced shortly after this device, and it works fine too.  I’ve played my iPhone 7 and a few of our iPads through it with no problems at all - and SQ is excellent.

The iCanDo has a good DAC and a solid headphone amp that drives my AKG701Qs with headroom to spare. But it also has a coax digital output. So you can use it to drive most headphones, to drive line level inputs through its RCA jacks, or as a simple converter to give you a digital output.

I bought it so I could listen to music on ‘phones while my wife watched TV in bed before we went to sleep.  I haven’t used it since I got good BT headphones so I’m not tethered to the bed to listen.  PM me if you want more info.  I can recommend NuForce very highly - I love their approaches to both design & execution.