IGNORED

Need help to move

I am trying to launch iTunes on my new MacBook using the iTunes music library that I have created on a PC. The library exists on an external hard drive. I connected the drive to the MacBook and while holding the option key down tried to start the iTunes. I get the Choose Library option. From the external drive I find the proper "iTunes Library.itl" library, to open but I get an error:

The iTunes Library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.

I think I should be able to do this but probably missing a step. Please advice. I am able to double click any of the music files and play it in iTunes.

Thank you,

digipix.

Are there any options? Can I reformat this drive (1TB Western digital Black) to FAT32? then I should be able to get another copy of my iTunes library on it.

I was really planning to have my main library once and use the same library for both systems, is that a possibility?

Thanks,

digipix

You will lose all your data if you re-format. Also FAT32 is a legacy format which is compatible with both, but isn't very quick on a mac (not sure about pc).

If both computers are networked you can certainly set things up so that both can see the drive. It will probably be easier to enable file sharing on the pc, (with the external drive connected to the pc) and connect via SMB on the mac. I think it will be easier just to share the music files themselves but have each computer create its own itunes library file. In this case there will be no need to reformat.

If you absolutely need or want to be able to physically move the drive from the pc usb port to the mac usb port and back again, then I'd recommend doing some googling on MacFUSE and NTFS-3g (or just 'ntfs on mac'). It is quite possible but a bit techie to enable OSX to read and write to NTFS. It may come as standard on the upcoming Snow Leopard, but don't hold your breath.

I am building a copy of my library an the external drive formatted as FAT32. This is good enough for now so I can test the itunes sound quality on MAC vs PC for myself. But I want better solution going forward. I like the idea of sharing the music files between PC and MAC and have each computer create its own itl. I will try that next.

I am planning on some kind of NAS and that should make it easier (so I hope). I just can't decide on which one. I have been dilly dallying between Thecus and DROBO.

Thanks,

digipix

Now that I have a copy of my music library on a FAT32 formatted disk, after I select the library everything shows up in itunes in mac. But when I select any of the tracks to play I get a message that "the song...could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

I click locate and after I find and select the file iTunes will play it.

Is that how it works? my library is 1400 albums so far, its gonna take a while. I like to know if there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks,

digipix

I think you'll get the same problem in reverse if you now put the usb drive back on the pc - I'm betting the 'fixed' songs will get the very same error message.

To confirm, select a track and choose File/Get Info. Take a note of the "Where" line at the bottom of the summary tab - it will say "YourDriveName:MusicLibrary:Artist..." wheras on the pc it will say something like "D:MusicLibrary:Artist..."

I have no idea if there's a quick way to fix this, sorry. If you have your mac itunes create its own library instead of using the pc created one, you won't get this problem. Make sure that you uncheck "Keep itunes music folder organised" and "Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library" options under the advanced tab in itunes prefs.

Just in case you haven't done this before, 'adding' to the library isn't the same as ripping all your cds again, it's a lot quicker. However if some of your album artwork was automatically retrieved by itunes then your mac itunes will have to do the same again, and you may get slightly different results. I suspect it depends on how obscure your taste in music is, and whether it's just recently been added to apple's music store.

I created a library on the mac and that worked well. I think even if I get a NAS, I still would need to create separate library on each machine to make it work. How would it work when I add a new cd, would I have to add it each library separately?

Take a look at this http://www.macworld.com/article/133881/2008/07/syncitunes.html article for help letting multiple itunes access the same files.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris said "I'm guessing HE drive is formatted in NTFS which OS X can't write to :~("

I just want to know what a "he" drive is.

It would definately be superior to a "she" drive obviously.

M.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

The HE drive -

HE drives offer a basic but functional control system - a simple on/off switch and a status light, although some users have reported that the light is often on when there is no disk activity. The HE drive has very limited multi-tasking capability, but offers superb access speeds for data such as sports statistics and technological trivia, however the total disk capacity can be rather small. Personal data is kept secure using military-grade encryption algorithms codenamed "keeping-it-all-bottled-up-inside", but can be easily hacked using Jack_Daniels code breaking software. Not recommended for storing time sensitive information such as birthday and anniversary dates.

The SHE drive -

Offers far superior aesthetics to the HE drive but some people consider the user interface to be extremely difficult to understand. Has outstanding connectivity - every SHE drive will automatically connect to your telephony system and backup your personal data through a worldwide network of other SHE drives. For this reason it may be unwise to entrust your SHE drive with potentially embarrassing details of medical conditions. SHE drives have the (sometimes disputed) reputation of being high maintenance. Red Wine Audio offer a range of modifications, but caution is advised because too much red wine will cause the SHE drive to burst into tears and decalre that "all HE drives are b*st*rds!"

Needless to say, getting bit perfect audio out of either of these drives can be somewhat challenging.

Hope this clarifies things. Happy to have been of assistance :)