IGNORED

USB to Ethernet Adapters

Hi,

Has anyone tried using one of the USB to Ethernet adapters. The reason I ask, is I'd like to place my DAC near my preamp and amps. But I want my computer close to me so I can fiddle with settings, restart it, tag files etc. it would take about a 20 foot USB cable to do this and I know that's bad.

I would need two of these, one to convert USB 3.0 out to Ethernet and another from Ethernet back to USB. I'd also need an USB 3.0 female to female adapter to attach my Lampizator USB cable to, and then into the USB port on my DAC.

It seems like a good solution but I do worry about SQ. Below are the links to a couple of these items on Amazon.

Amazon.com : Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter in Black : Usb Network Adapters : Computers & Accessories

USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter | Aluratek

Just looking for opinions,

Thanks,

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Why don't you just control the computer remotely with a laptop (free VNC software available, if there's no supplied remote control software available for your music playback application) or get a cheap second hand laptop, if you don't have one to spare?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

A USB extender is a better option, since the way it works is the USB to "ethernet" is a media conversion only, not a protocol conversion, which is what you want to do with the proposed USB ethernet adapters. I don't think that would work anyway.

USB extenders can run to max. 100m with plain Cat5 cable, or several km with fibre optic cabling. To comply with USB Class 2.0 audio speeds, the availability of the extenders starts to shrink but they are about.

Icron have compliant USB2.0 extenders, four or two USB ports, ethernet or Fibre. I have the 2224 four USB extender, works very well, as if the computer is in the same room, no losses. No drivers required. What still does matter is USB cabling, thankfully, these can be kept short. You need two USB cables, one at the computer end into a box, then the other end from another box to the DAC.

I send DSD128 down the wire, no issues at all.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi,

I would need two of these, one to convert USB 3.0 out to Ethernet and another from Ethernet back to USB. I'd also need an USB 3.0 female to female adapter to attach my Lampizator USB cable to, and then into the USB port on my DAC.

Steven:

Those will NOT work for what you want, unless you have a PC at the end with you DAC. Those items are just adapters for Ethernet (for PCs that don't have an Ethernet port or where you want and second network line). They will not allow you to stream audio through as if the adapter at your desk was a USB sound card.

"One and a half" is right, you can try one of the Icron USB Extenters (be sure to get a one supporting USB 2.0), but they are about $300 and I am skeptical about the sonic implications--especially given that you have a high-end DAC.

Regards,

Alex C.

If there is interference in the transmission, like noise on lines, what usually happens is that the sound stage collapses, and you don't get to hear that trailing piano note, the note just cuts off abruptly.

Have used the icron for about 12 months or more, and I always hear the fine details on good recordings anyway. Can certainly vouch for the methods used.

About 2011 something Charles Hansen tested various lengths of USB cables and at the time, even 5m cable was beyond marginal. He found the Icron not to produce any more losses than shorter runs of standard USB cables.

While Mr. Hansen often mangles audio history and I disagree with his perceptions at times, I tend to agree with him on the Icron. The main use of the Icron is for instruments in medical applications and monitoring where data is critical and corruption of data is not an option, so I took this to be a fairly tough application, enough for hi quality audio to survive.

I use the Cat 5 design for the last 12 months. Maybe I got the model number wrong..Have thought about the FO connections, but it means crawling in the roof again to drag through the cable. The spirit is willing you see, but battling the dirt and heat is the impedance!

The Icron uses a 24V DC wall wart, and produces the 5V from within the transmitter part. The DAC doesn't use the 5V other than annunciation, so haven't bothered with changing the PSU just yet. The primary power is derived from a symmetrical 120-0-120 supply, so any AC noise is pretty much knocked on the head already.

I have been using a version of the Icron Ranger 2201 trouble free for a couple of years now.

I have performed comparisons between my Mac Mini (Mavericks) -> Icron -> AQ Diamond -> QB9 and my MacBook Pro (Mavericks) -> AQ Diamond -> QB9. I would have thought the Icron might have had some effect on the sound quality, but if there was a difference between the two systems, it was too subtle for me to notice.

For perspective. When I made the same comparison before I upgraded the Mini from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, there was a very noticeable difference in sound quality between the two sources.

YMMV.

Paul

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

You might manage to use these Monoprice USB extenders. USB 2.0 only however. Reading your description USB 2.0 Should do what you one.

Available in several lengths in up to 82 ft. I have used them and can confirm they work fine even at 192/24. Cheap too.

32ft 10M USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable (Kinect & PS3 Move Compatible Extension) - Monoprice.com

This one is 32 feet, they also have them in 49ft, 65 ft, and 82 ft. The 32 ft one is less than $10. They have active circuitry in them which runs off the USB bus to buffer the USB signal.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You might manage to use these Monoprice USB extenders. USB 2.0 only however. Reading your description USB 2.0 Should do what you one.

Oh dear no. Those are essentially just single-port, bus powered hubs. I have tried a couple of them before (in just a 15 foot length), and the sound is dreadful! Far worse than a 10 foot USB extension cable connected to a 6 foot A/B cable.

Like you say, they are cheap, so go ahead and try one. But you might as well just convert your whole library to MP3 if you use one of these.