IGNORED

I require a new PC audio setup: Headphones and Soundcard.

Hi there Audiophile users.

I am looking into purchasing a new audio setup for my gaming PC, for both music and games. I am not great with what is available on the market today and so I could use some help. I have been lurking around different review sites, but I can't for the love of my life, figure out what I should chose and so I really would like your help. I have some few requirements:

I would like it to be wireless. I know wireless often mean a decrease sound quality, but I have so far lost so many headphones due to wires getting tangled in my office chair. Optionally I wouldn't mind if it also had an integrated microphone, though I might purchase a separate microphone. So far I have heard that headphones using USB provide with the best audio, though I might be wrong in this assumption.

Along with this headphone I am also planning on purchasing a sound card that can perform binaural reproduction (No 7.1 headphones).

My budget is around 300$-750$ (270€-530€)

These are my requirements. Feel free to bring your own experiences and subjective opinions of headphones and soundcards. I am eager to hear what you guys might suggest. Pleas ask if I should provide additional information.

For your wireless binaural headphone with integrated mic query, I think you'd be better served on a gaming forum with real, end user reports of sound quality.

If that's the route you choose, I don't think a soundcard will be of major importance and the benefits lost to the wireless headset. Intel iCore processors and Realtek audio can handle most audio needs with aplomb.

If we're talking critical listening use as a secondary feature, you will need to drop the wireless convenience. In that case, I would suggest an external DAC/headphone amplifier. There's quite a few on the market and the members over at HeadFi can direct you to thier favorites.

For desktop space savings ( space saving has become important in just about everything these days) I just received a Gigabyte Brix pro on loan to check out. Amazing little machine with Intel IRIs graphics and core i3/5 and 7 models available. VESA mounts right to the back of a monitor, VERY fast and silent! Power supply is external brick type and has built in gigabit wireless and provisions for both a 2.5" HDD/SSD, mSata drive and 16gb ram. Not as inexpensive as a Mac mini, but smaller and easier to work on and customize.

For your wireless binaural headphone with integrated mic query, I think you'd be better served on a gaming forum with real, end user reports of sound quality.

Okay, I was sure this was the correct forum for such a question. I'll try to see other communities.

If that's the route you choose, I don't think a soundcard will be of major importance and the benefits lost to the wireless headset. Intel iCore processors and Realtek audio can handle most audio needs with aplomb.

I am looking for a sound card that can apply binaural reproduction to a signal. Synthesis of real-life listening (Applying HRTFs to the audio signal). From what I know, Realtek or Intel iCore is not capable of doing this.

If we're talking critical listening use as a secondary feature, you will need to drop the wireless convenience. In that case, I would suggest an external DAC/headphone amplifier. There's quite a few on the market and the members over at HeadFi can direct you to thier favorites.

Just to make sure. When you say "critical listening" do you mean, the best sound possible? I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for more convenience in this case.

Edit:

Just found this post: It pretty much covers what I am trying to achieve of a soundcard. http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Okay, I was sure this was the correct forum for such a question. I'll try to see other communities.

I am looking for a sound card that can apply binaural reproduction to a signal. Synthesis of real-life listening (Applying HRTFs to the audio signal). From what I know, Realtek or Intel iCore is not capable of doing this.

Just to make sure. When you say "critical listening" do you mean, the best sound possible? I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for more convenience in this case.

Edit:

Just found this post: It pretty much covers what I am trying to achieve of a soundcard. The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)

See...I knew you'd find an excellent resource over there. Please excuse my earlier error on the use of binaural headphones. I 'assume' that the use is primarily for gaming and as such I'm not qualified to be of much help.