IGNORED

Which Headphone to buy? $300-$400 Budget

Hello,

I am no audiophile, I do not know what people are on about when they talk about the treble, bass, high and lows etc etc But I do appreciate listening to good music through good headphones. So which Headphones, with a budget of $300-$400 should I get, what is the best headphone to get in that price range. Quality of sound is my priority as well as a comfort as I will be using these headphones to video edit (so I'll be wearing them for long periods at a time) My old headphones were the Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones. Does the best headphone for that price range depend on the music I listen to? Well I'll be simply plugging it into my Mac or iPhone an listening to stuff like M83- OUTRO or the occasional song on the iTunes chart etc..

Here are a couple of models that seem great when I research for a decent pair of headphones.

All help is highly appreciated.

NEW Sennheiser Momentum Black ON EAR Headphones FOR Apple Ipod Iphone Ipad | eBay

Amazon.com: Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones - Black: Electronics

The Sennheiser Momentum has a marvelous sound from the bass through midrange to lower treble, but the upper treble is recessed making details hard to hear when listening at home where it's quiet, when you want the best sound. The Ultrasone models are typically the opposite, and many users report that the upper treble can set their teeth on edge.

So maybe at that price point you would want to get more specific or read some more reviews. And be careful where you buy - those headphones you mentioned, more of them are fakes than real these days, and the fakes are high enough in quality most people can't tell the difference. But even if they look the same, they won't sound the same.

Senneheiser Amperiour were in that price range but is currently available for USD 170.

Great sound, easily driven by iPhone and with mic + remote.

My favourite, may be too tight if you have a large head.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Hello there

Two more that have not been mention yet are Sony MDR-1R, Audio Technica ATH-M50

Here is a video on you tube that may help you, 10 great portable headphones compared.

Is there anywhere you can try them on near you as with headphones comfort is an important factor.

I have a pair of V-moda M80, and if I was going to changed these I would be looking at the Sony MDR-1R, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser Momentum or maybe the V-moda M100 ( these may be a bit bass heavy)

Have you also thought about a dac for your Mac. Something like AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY

My recommendation would be Audio Technica ATH-M50SV and AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY £210, hopefully this will keep you in budget.

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1

I wasn't too impressed with the Sennheiser Momentum (partially because I own the 650s).

I was blown away by the Mad Dog headphones from the below company (admittedly, the accompanying gear was of very high quality: Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir). They're in your price range and are probably the most comfortable 'phones I've ever tried.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=common/home

Oh, and they have a 15 day return policy.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

For plugging into an iPhone I would say you are on the right track with the Sennheiser Momentum. I would lean towards the over-ear instead of the on-ear. I have the Sennheiser Amperior which is now discontinued but is very good. I think the Momentum is probably a little better general headphone though. The Momentum over-ear version is more expensive but should be more comfortable and provide better isolation.

If you are willing to look at open headphones (which provide no isolation) look at the Grado's as they do pretty well plugged into an iphone. The 225 is $200 and a nice sounding headphone.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open