IGNORED

Re-Ripping my CD collection! Please help me make it the last!

khaos_dj

Hi everyone

Quick story short. First time I ripped my 50 CD's, it was to ALAC using iTunes.

Didnt like that I was using a compressed format so I re-ripped everything to AIFF, again using iTunes.

Yesterday, I came back from the CD store with two CDs I had just purchased. I started ripping the first CD and when it was about to finish ripping, the last song completely slowed down (the ripping stopped for a few secs, then continued). I was left curious as to why would this happen with a brand new disc.

Then I decided to listen to the last track to see if anything had happened to the song during the rip. To my surprise, the song had skip/jumps/scratchy sounds! I could not believe this has happened! I thought by having check marked the "use error correction when ripping..." it would take care of any error!

That's when I realized that ripping was more than just picking a format, iTunes was doing a pretty bad job at ripping my CDs and I knew I had to take it to the next level (because ripping again my whole collection was gonna take me a whole day for the third time and I definitely dont want to rip a fourth time). After all, the whole reason of buying CDs is to have maximum quality and iTunes was not been helpful on this!

So then I remembered about a website I visited which had a tutorial using EAC:

Installing, configuring, and ripping with Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

Now, I have a few questions before I start my ripping

1) Is EAC the best program to rip using Windows 7? I see a lot of EAC vs dbpoweramp, but EAC seems to get a 60% of the votes.

2) Is there any better program than EAC? If so, which?

3) Is that guide good, great, excellent or horrible? Would you recommend me to (if I opt for EAC) to rip using that tutorial?

4) The tutorial is made to rip in the FLAC format, but I prefer uncompressed formats since HDD space is NOT an issue. Does any of you guys know what would I have to change/modify in that tutorial to make the best AIFF rips?

Thanks all for your help, this is definitely one of the best audio forums I have found and Im glad I found this place!

Hi everyone

Quick story short. First time I ripped my 50 CD's, it was to ALAC using iTunes.

Didnt like that I was using a compressed format so I re-ripped everything to AIFF, again using iTunes.

You were using a lossless compressed format, so simply converting those files to AIFF would have done the exact same thing as re-ripping them.

I don't have any experience ripping on windows, but dbpoweramp seems to be a favorite.

You were using a lossless compressed format, so simply converting those files to AIFF would have done the exact same thing as re-ripping them.

I don't have any experience ripping on windows, but dbpoweramp seems to be a favorite.

Back then I was not informed as I am right now, that's why I felt better re-ripping everything.

dbpoweramp seems to be the best option for Windows right now. Im very tempted to buy a license and start ripping.

EAC completely disappointed me, I believe it does not support native AIFF ripping?

How would you compare XLD (I know is mac only) to dbpoweramp & EAC?

Hi khaos_dj,

I have been an EAC user since I started ripping my CDs in fall of 2009. I also bought the Dbpoweramp licence and each of them have their plus and minus. EAC can look complicated at first, but the tutorial that you linked to looks very fine to me :)

Either one or the other, they have fundamentally the same aim: to have the most perfect rip, with the Accurip database to confirm the checksum and confidence (with others).

I heard that some prefer Dbpoweramp, maybe because it looks more easy. I am used to EAC for ripping tasks and Dbpoweramp to convert from a format to another. But I could use Dbpoweramp with the same confidence for ripping.

I can't compare with XLD, but I believe that they are of the same breed :)

Regards,

Alain

Hi khaos_dj,

I have been an EAC user since I started ripping my CDs in fall of 2009. I also bought the Dbpoweramp licence and each of them have their plus and minus. EAC can look complicated at first, but the tutorial that you linked to looks very fine to me :)

Either one or the other, they have fundamentally the same aim: to have the most perfect rip, with the Accurip database to confirm the checksum and confidence (with others).

I heard that some prefer Dbpoweramp, maybe because it looks more easy. I am used to EAC for ripping tasks and Dbpoweramp to convert from a format to another. But I could use Dbpoweramp with the same confidence for ripping.

Regards,

I checked quickly and it seems that EAC does not rip to aiff... So Dbpoweramp should be your preferred choice...

Hey AlainGr

That was a very helpful response, I appreciate your answer!

After reading it, I have one question remaining. As you can see, I could start ripping my CDs right now using EAC (since that tutorial has everything to set up EAC properly).

What if I decided to use dbpoweramp? Does it come pre-configured already or should I first set it up? If so, do you happen to have a tutorial page I can take a look at or a how-to-set-up link?

Im completely new to these programs and I definitely want to make sure I make zero mistakes before I proceed with such a long process.

The one thing I do remember from using dbpoweramp is that it has a very generous free trial. I used it to rip an HDCD (or whatever they are called) which I don't think can be done on a mac. I knew nothing about the software and don't know my way around windows (even less so then), and was able to get it to work fairly painlessly.

I did my first steps on the Digital Audio stairs in 2005 when I bought my first iPod. I ripped my CD’s to ALAC in iTunes and the world was fine. It made my music available at Hifi quality when travelling. When the iPod Touch 64 came available I Bought and the “old” iPod was assigned to “in car” entertainment.

In 2010 I decided that I wanted to have all my CD’s digitally available on a NAS.

I discovered that most people used either EAC or DBpoweramp. As EAC is free, I used it for some time but then the need arose the convert already ripped CD’s to another format I decided to purchase DBpoweramp. Having used both I prefer DBpoweramp because of the possibility to rip to FLAC lossless, for the excellent batch converter and for the Accurate Rip Database.

I re-ripped my CD collection to AIFF (WAV was not considered because of Tagging (in)capability). I was happy with that until I started comparing the sounds of AIFF with FLAC uncompressed. FLAC sounded superior in my system for which I do not have an explanation. Uncompressed formats should sound the same.

For above reason I decided to ditch iTunes as the music management system and I obtained JRiver18 as iTunes cannot handle FLAC files. It gave me the opportunity to ditch also the iTunes filing system. The underlying logic I could never understand and I replaced it with my own (Classical music on composer and pop music on performer).

I consider DBpoweramp superior to EAC in performance and it is easy to use. Before ripping I would do careful tests to make sure you rip to the format that sound best in your system.

Regards, Arno

What if I decided to use dbpoweramp? Does it come pre-configured already or should I first set it up? If so, do you happen to have a tutorial page I can take a look at or a how-to-set-up link?

Im completely new to these programs and I definitely want to make sure I make zero mistakes before I proceed with such a long process.

Hi khaos_dj,

I think that most of the functionnalities are already there when you install Dbpoweramp, but I haven't installed it in a very long time. As others mentions around, there is the link that Kumakuma gives.

Like Wgscott, I used Dbpoweramp at the time because I wanted to rip some HDCD (thanks Bill, I had forgotten the reason why I finally tried it).

Some prefer DBPoweramp, some prefer EAC. I am using EAC because I got used to it before I knew about Dbpoweramp, but it could have been the other way around.

I am sure there are many other questions and it is fine :) Don't hesitate to ask. Someone will answer, but it can take a little time :)

Regards,

Alain

Whichever software you use make sure it uses Accurate Rip.

And definitely do not use iTunes. A few years back I tested a few options, and iTunes loses bits and does not tell you.

Translating between FLAC, WAV and AIFF using e.g. Max or DBP is another option, no bits will be lost. Try it to calm any fears, going back and forth a few times between the formats.

I rip using EAC and keep both FLAC and WAV, move it to the Mac, and translate/import FLAC to iTunes using Max into AIFF. FLAC is handy since it keeps Metadata whilst ripping.

I have both and I prefer XLD, but dbPowerAmp is just fine. Choose the one that you are most comfortable with. :)

iTunes does (or at least, can) tell you when it has trouble ripping a disk, though XLD for instance, will tell you in a much more insistent manner.

-Paul

Hi khaos_dj,

Regards,

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Chris wrote this tutorial a few years. It might answer some of your questions:

Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy and Methodology

Excellent tutorial! I quickly went through it and read a few parts here and there. I must admit this is one fully detailed & complete written, error-proof work!

The usual question though (haha), I can see this was written in 2009. We are now 2014. Has anything changed? If so, dramatically? (Im referring to settings, steps, program versions and/or plugins that make the tutorial different using today's versions.

The one thing I do remember from using dbpoweramp is that it has a very generous free trial. I used it to rip an HDCD (or whatever they are called) which I don't think can be done on a mac. I knew nothing about the software and don't know my way around windows (even less so then), and was able to get it to work fairly painlessly.

You are right. I have read multiple users stating that dbpoweramp has a very friendly user interface. Im starting to lean towards dbpoweramp. Might end up buying a license by the end of the week.

I did my first steps on the Digital Audio stairs in 2005 when I bought my first iPod. I ripped my CD’s to ALAC in iTunes and the world was fine. It made my music available at Hifi quality when travelling. When the iPod Touch 64 came available I Bought and the “old” iPod was assigned to “in car” entertainment.

In 2010 I decided that I wanted to have all my CD’s digitally available on a NAS.

I discovered that most people used either EAC or DBpoweramp. As EAC is free, I used it for some time but then the need arose the convert already ripped CD’s to another format I decided to purchase DBpoweramp. Having used both I prefer DBpoweramp because of the possibility to rip to FLAC lossless, for the excellent batch converter and for the Accurate Rip Database.

I re-ripped my CD collection to AIFF (WAV was not considered because of Tagging (in)capability). I was happy with that until I started comparing the sounds of AIFF with FLAC uncompressed. FLAC sounded superior in my system for which I do not have an explanation. Uncompressed formats should sound the same.

For above reason I decided to ditch iTunes as the music management system and I obtained JRiver18 as iTunes cannot handle FLAC files. It gave me the opportunity to ditch also the iTunes filing system. The underlying logic I could never understand and I replaced it with my own (Classical music on composer and pop music on performer).

I consider DBpoweramp superior to EAC in performance and it is easy to use. Before ripping I would do careful tests to make sure you rip to the format that sound best in your system.

Regards, Arno

Hey

Thanks for taking your time in writing your experience, very helpful indeed!

I have a question, you stated "I re-ripped my CD collection to AIFF..." after saying "As EAC is free, I used it for some time..."

Why did you re-rip your CD collection? Was something wrong with your first EAC rips?

Hi khaos_dj,

I think that most of the functionnalities are already there when you install Dbpoweramp, but I haven't installed it in a very long time. As others mentions around, there is the link that Kumakuma gives.

Like Wgscott, I used Dbpoweramp at the time because I wanted to rip some HDCD (thanks Bill, I had forgotten the reason why I finally tried it).

Some prefer DBPoweramp, some prefer EAC. I am using EAC because I got used to it before I knew about Dbpoweramp, but it could have been the other way around.

I am sure there are many other questions and it is fine :) Don't hesitate to ask. Someone will answer, but it can take a little time :)

Regards,

Hey AlainGr

It definitely feels great to know that I can use EAC with ca_aok's tutorial or use dbpoweramp with the tutorial kumakuma linked.

I just want to make sure that the procedure used in kumakumas link (which is from 2009), can be applied to the current version of dbpoweramp. As you know, in EAC at least, the procedures to make a proper rip changed from version to version. I might be a little too paranoid right now, but trust me, I want this to be my last time ripping my CD collection!

Whichever software you use make sure it uses Accurate Rip.

And definitely do not use iTunes. A few years back I tested a few options, and iTunes loses bits and does not tell you.

Translating between FLAC, WAV and AIFF using e.g. Max or DBP is another option, no bits will be lost. Try it to calm any fears, going back and forth a few times between the formats.

I rip using EAC and keep both FLAC and WAV, move it to the Mac, and translate/import FLAC to iTunes using Max into AIFF. FLAC is handy since it keeps Metadata whilst ripping.

After my last failed rip using iTunes, I definitely want to stay away from it.

I have both and I prefer XLD, but dbPowerAmp is just fine. Choose the one that you are most comfortable with. :)

iTunes does (or at least, can) tell you when it has trouble ripping a disk, though XLD for instance, tell you in a much more insistent manner.

-Paul

I must admit the procedure that looks more appealing to me is the following:

Buy, download & install dbpoweramp

Properly setup dbpoweramp (waiting for confirm if kumakuma's link from 2009 is still good to go)

Start ripping (FLAC & AIFF copies)

Add to iTunes the properly ripped AIFF files

Enjoy error-free, bit-to-bit music

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Hey AlainGr

It definitely feels great to know that I can use EAC with ca_aok's tutorial or use dbpoweramp with the tutorial kumakuma linked.

I just want to make sure that the procedure used in kumakumas link (which is from 2009), can be applied to the current version of dbpoweramp. As you know, in EAC at least, the procedures to make a proper rip changed from version to version. I might be a little too paranoid right now, but trust me, I want this to be my last time ripping my CD collection!

If DBpoweramp has evolved through time, I am reasonably sure that nothing major has changed since... Apart maybe from FLAC that can now be "uncompressed"...

I understand the concern about having to rip all again for the x time, but at least for the 2-3 most problematic CDs with which you did not like the results, maybe listen to them right after having them ripped ? So if there is a problem, you can ask for support early...

As for the rest, it looks ok, but do not forget about backups !! This too would imply ripping all again if you neglect this aspect of things ;)

Regards,

Alain

Personally, I prefer dBpoweramp. You should be able to get the same results with EAC, but I find dBpoweramp's interface a lot easier to set up, and there are some really good metadata, encoding, and conversion tools.

I have also found dBpoweramp to be better at handling really problematic discs.

There is a good setup guide here: dBpoweramp CD Ripper - Setup Guide

I would suggest ripping to a lossless format. Generally ALAC if you use Apple hardware, or FLAC otherwise. You can easily convert between them at any time.

AIFF is uncompressed lossless and is simply a waste of disk space. (and bandwidth, if streaming) There are no benefits to using this format whatsoever.

Sounds like different people use different rippers for different reasons. I used to use EAC and ripped over 700 CDs with it. I still bought dbPoweramp and ripped another 200 CDs with it. These are the reasons why I think dbPoweramp is worth it.

1. Easier to use

2. Feels faster (but I might have some EAC settings wrong)

3. Easy conversion between formats. Takes advantage of multi-core CPU = fast, fast, fast. e.g. I rip everything into FLAC for JRiver and then I convert music I actively listen to on my iPod to ALAC for iTunes.

4. Easy conversion of sample rates and bit rates. e.g. I buy 24/192 FLACs but I convert them to 24/48 ALAC to listen to on the iPhone/iPad

5. HDCD decoding capabilities. I don't have an HDCD-capable DAC. But dbPoweramp has a setting where you can convert your 16/44 HDCD rips into a proper HDCD decode so the file is in 24/44 with proper HDCD decoding. The best part is that if you ripped an HDCD as a CD in 16/44 FLAC, you can still access the files and convert them to 24/44 with HDCD portion decoded afterwards. No need to re-rip the entire CD all over again.

6. Seems to have more metadata database access for more accurate tags.

Hi khaos_dj,

There was nothing wrong with the EAC rips. At that time I assumed that all lossless music would sound the same as they are the same bits. That’s not the case in my set-up. Comparison between ALAC and AIFF gave a clear edge to AIFF in detail and resolution. Unfortunately I did not add FLAC to the equation as I was still using iTunes as the management system.

There is also an important step to consider and that is having proper back-up. I keep one copy on my PC (2x 1Tb in RAID 0), The NAS (2 x 2 Tb in RAID 1) and I keep a separate copy on a USB3 HDD at a safe place. This copy is manually updated on a fortnightly basis.

Regards Arno

There was nothing wrong with the EAC rips. At that time I assumed that all lossless music would sound the same as they are the same bits. That’s not the case in my set-up. Comparison between ALAC and AIFF gave a clear edge to AIFF in detail and resolution. Unfortunately I did not add FLAC to the equation as I was still using iTunes as the management system.
Something is flawed in your testing if you are getting different results from identical data.
Something is flawed in your testing if you are getting different results from identical data.

This is an old old argument. The data is not identical until the different container formats have been processed. The equivalent, in the case of ALAC and FLAC, to unzipping a file.

Some people can and do reliably hear a difference between the different formats.

Robert A. Heinlein

This is an old old argument. The data is not identical until the different container formats have been processed. The equivalent, in the case of ALAC and FLAC, to unzipping a file.

Some people can and do reliably hear a difference between the different formats.

Then it is a problem in your player. JRiver will expand losslessly compressed formats into uncompressed audio in memory during playback for example, so the data is identical whether your are listening to WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC etc.

No- it is a real phenomena. And it will remain so no matter how many times you try to declare it otherwise - or make unthinking or provocative remarks to the contrary. I believe we can all deduce your thinking from the name you choose to use on the system.

Skepticism is great - but ignoring real evidence because it does not fit your ideas. No good scientist does that.

Paul

Then it is a problem in your player. JRiver will expand losslessly compressed formats into uncompressed audio in memory during playback for example, so the data is identical whether your are listening to WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC etc.

Robert A. Heinlein

If DBpoweramp has evolved through time, I am reasonably sure that nothing major has changed since... Apart maybe from FLAC that can now be "uncompressed"...

I understand the concern about having to rip all again for the x time, but at least for the 2-3 most problematic CDs with which you did not like the results, maybe listen to them right after having them ripped ? So if there is a problem, you can ask for support early...

As for the rest, it looks ok, but do not forget about backups !! This too would imply ripping all again if you neglect this aspect of things ;)

Regards,

Yes! Definitely a good idea to start on the last CD that gave me issues. Once Im done setting up dbpoweramp and finish ripping it, will definitely listen to the one song that ripped improperly in iTunes.

About the backups, I'll definitely do that as well. According to kumakumas link, I should do a FLAC for storage and an AIFF rip for use so that is going to be the procedure to follow.

Personally, I prefer dBpoweramp. You should be able to get the same results with EAC, but I find dBpoweramp's interface a lot easier to set up, and there are some really good metadata, encoding, and conversion tools.

I have also found dBpoweramp to be better at handling really problematic discs.

There is a good setup guide here: dBpoweramp CD Ripper - Setup Guide

I would suggest ripping to a lossless format. Generally ALAC if you use Apple hardware, or FLAC otherwise. You can easily convert between them at any time.

AIFF is uncompressed lossless and is simply a waste of disk space. (and bandwidth, if streaming) There are no benefits to using this format whatsoever.

The better metadata support, easier UI and AIFF support is what leans me to dbpoweramp. Definitely makes it my choice over EAC.

Sounds like different people use different rippers for different reasons. I used to use EAC and ripped over 700 CDs with it. I still bought dbPoweramp and ripped another 200 CDs with it. These are the reasons why I think dbPoweramp is worth it.

1. Easier to use

2. Feels faster (but I might have some EAC settings wrong)

3. Easy conversion between formats. Takes advantage of multi-core CPU = fast, fast, fast. e.g. I rip everything into FLAC for JRiver and then I convert music I actively listen to on my iPod to ALAC for iTunes.

4. Easy conversion of sample rates and bit rates. e.g. I buy 24/192 FLACs but I convert them to 24/48 ALAC to listen to on the iPhone/iPad

5. HDCD decoding capabilities. I don't have an HDCD-capable DAC. But dbPoweramp has a setting where you can convert your 16/44 HDCD rips into a proper HDCD decode so the file is in 24/44 with proper HDCD decoding. The best part is that if you ripped an HDCD as a CD in 16/44 FLAC, you can still access the files and convert them to 24/44 with HDCD portion decoded afterwards. No need to re-rip the entire CD all over again.

6. Seems to have more metadata database access for more accurate tags.

Multi-core CPU support is definitely a plus (I have a Core 2 Quad) :)

Conversion between formats is also a major plus.

Metadata as mentioned before a mega major plus!

Hi khaos_dj,

There is also an important step to consider and that is having proper back-up. I keep one copy on my PC (2x 1Tb in RAID 0), The NAS (2 x 2 Tb in RAID 1) and I keep a separate copy on a USB3 HDD at a safe place. This copy is manually updated on a fortnightly basis.

Regards Arno

Yep, as mentioned before a FLAC copy of all my discs will be ripped as well for storage purposes. The reason why I will use AIFF for playback is because storage is not an issue so why not take advantage (if any) of uncompressed audio? Whether or not there is a diference, with an error-free, bit-to-bit rip it should sounds just as good (or similar) to FLAC, WAV & ALAC.

After all, my system is an above average computer one, but definitely not an AAA grade audiophile system. My sound card only goes up to 24-bit, 96Khz for music. Hopefully I can get a new sound card (192khz support) soon and studio monitors!

I have lately leaned towards the argument that is the player (software) that at the end makes up the difference when comparing the loseless formats. Well, then again this is coming from someone who hasnt had the time to make an exact copy of my favorite CD in all four (wav, aiff, alac, flac) formats and compared them.

I think we can keep that out of this thread though, I would appreciate if we dont go off-topic. Once I make my proper rips and upgrade my sound card/speakers, I would love to bring that topic back to the table :)

Guys I forgot to ask one small thing

Should I purchase dbpoweramp + perfectTUNES?

I dont understand the purpose of perfectTUNES, if dbpoweramp has the metadata support (for tags and album art) & secure ripping, how exactly would perfectTUNES help? Sounds like a duplicate purchase to me, but of course I might be wrong and would like some input on this. What exactly would I miss/gain by buying perfectTUNES?

I have lately leaned towards the argument that is the player (software) that at the end makes up the difference when comparing the loseless formats. Well, then again this is coming from someone who hasnt had the time to make an exact copy of my favorite CD in all four (wav, aiff, alac, flac) formats and compared them.

I think we can keep that out of this thread though, I would appreciate if we dont go off-topic. Once I make my proper rips and upgrade my sound card/speakers, I would love to bring that topic back to the table :)

No problem from me - I am outta here...

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein