IGNORED

Mytek: is there such a thing as Firewire to USB 2.0 cable?

I can use both mac mini and a laptop but I still prefer the laptop as jriver for Windows is ripe with all features.

I have been reading that Mytek sounds better in Firewire than USB so I want to try.

Does a Firewire to USB 2.0 cable exist and have anyone made it to work for a Mytek, laptop and Jriver 19?

Thank you for the input. That saved me time and money.

What are my option then so that I can use firewire?

I am thinking of installing windows on my mac so that i can use the fully featured Jriver 19 windows version.

If your laptop has an Expresscard slot then you could try a Firewire adapter in it. Windows on your Mac mini is another option to try if you don't want to make do with the OS X version of JRiver. I think you should contact Mytek to find out whether there could be driver incompatibilities with these options before spending money.

I have been reading that Mytek sounds better in Firewire than USB so I want to try.

Yes I read that too. But did you notice that folks stating a preference never mention that they kept the cables the same when comparing interfaces to eliminate the cable as a variable? My opinion is that the cable used matters FAR more than the interface.

The Mytek can sound fantastic with USB - and there are far more USB cables to choose from. It would be a mistake to limit yourself to FW. I regret that I did so for so long.

I have heard my Mytek with a generic FW cable, an Oyaide NEO FW cable, a Nordost Blue Heaven USB, and a Wireworld Platinum Starlight. I listed these in order of price - and in sound quality. The cable really matters more here than the interface.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Yes I read that too. But did you notice that folks stating a preference never mention that they kept the cables the same when comparing interfaces to eliminate the cable as a variable? My opinion is that the cable used matters FAR more than the interface.

The Mytek can sound fantastic with USB - and there are far more USB cables to choose from. It would be a mistake to limit yourself to FW. I regret that I did so for so long.

I have heard my Mytek with a generic FW cable, an Oyaide NEO FW cable, a Nordost Blue Heaven USB, and a Wireworld Platinum Starlight. I listed these in order of price - and in sound quality. The cable really matters more here than the interface.

I agree with you. I used a DIY silver USB before and it was way ahead than the USB used in printers.

I understood that the effects of USB cables is staggering that I eventually used an Oyaide USB Continental then got a iFi gemini which sounded best to my ears.