IGNORED

High Grade SATA cables Sound

Has anybody used any of these SATA cables? They are too expensive to buy just for testing and I can’t find any info on the net. Can you describe how they sound compared to say an Intel 6 gig or an ASUS 6gig SATA cable? I am especially interested in WireDream SATA cable since it is almost pure silver vs Paul Pangs plated SATA cables. Do these high end SATA cables have as good of dynamics as an ASUS 6 gig SATA cable? How is the sound stage depth? I believe the WireDream is smooth but does it lack dynamics?

I have heard the Jcat SATA cable compared to the Paul Pang Red SATA cable is the Jcat has a little better midrange.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Has anybody used any of these SATA cables? They are too expensive to buy just for testing and I can’t find any info on the net. Can you describe how they sound compared to say an Intel 6 gig or an ASUS 6gig SATA cable? I am especially interested in WireDream SATA cable since it is almost pure silver vs Paul Pangs plated SATA cables. Do these high end SATA cables have as good of dynamics as an ASUS 6 gig SATA cable? How is the sound stage depth? I believe the WireDream is smooth but does it lack dynamics?

I have heard the Jcat SATA cable compared to the Paul Pang Red SATA cable is the Jcat has a little better midrange.

I had a thread very similar to this recently called "Is There a Better Sounding SATA Cable". There is some good info in there. I personally ended up choosing to go MSATA and avoid any possibilty of there being a difference in SATA cables.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the big font. I don’t know how that happened.

I don’t mind paying for one of these high priced SATA cables if it was a lot better sounding in my system. I don’t want to try one and then ship it back across the ocean.

I guess nobody is buying these things.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Just you and Sandy Alex. :)

kumakuma

Was that called for ?

I have already clearly stated that I use as short as possible , normal SATA 3 6 GBs cables, that are bought off ebay (a Nth. Queensland PC components supplier) for well under $10 including P&P. I use 25cm SATA 3 cables so that there is none of the lead draped over the motherboard, and they can also be placed against the metalwork of the PC for further improved screening and airflow.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

kumakuma

Was that called for ?

I have already clearly stated that I use as short as possible , normal SATA 3 6 GBs cables, that are bought off ebay (a Nth. Queensland PC components supplier) for well under $10 including P&P. I use 25cm SATA 3 cables so that there is none of the lead draped over the motherboard, and they can also be placed against the metalwork of the PC for further improved screening and airflow.

My apologies. I didn't not know this.

I assumed that you would be interested in owning better quality SATA cable because you kept hounding Paul to go see if he could hear the difference between different SATA cables at Lee's place.

So what you are saying is that it isn't the quality of the cable that's important but it's length and how it is arranged inside the computer?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

My apologies. I didn't not know this.

I assumed that you would be interested in owning better quality SATA cable because you kept hounding Paul to go see if he could hear the difference between different SATA cables at Lee's place.

So what you are saying is that it isn't the quality of the cable that's important but it's length and how it is arranged inside the computer?

kumakuma

Lee has invited Paul to hear these at either his or Paul's place, and Paul has indicated that he was interested in visiting Lee.

As Lee has already heard the differences between the files that I uploaded, after he said that he would be interested to hear one of my rips, it would also be an opportunity to see if Paul could hear the same differences as Lee hears from these files.

If Paul was able to , and also able to verify that at least on this occasion the checksums were still in fact identical, that would have given some common ground for further co-operation in finding the reasons why.

That thread was never intended to be a discussion thread, especially as the OP said that he heard benefits from using Safe Mode. It's up to the OP to decide if any of my suggestions were worthwhile or not.

No, I am saying that this type of cable is better due to having 2 separate screened cables in it's construction instead of 7 wires side by side in the typical rather long generic SATA cables supplied with many PCs that may, or may not, be as reliable at the wider bandwidths involved. It's normally better to use shorter cables as the earth reference resistances will be lower.

I would love to try Lee's suggestion of an Asus SATA 3 cable if I could find one 25cm long instead of the typical 50cm Asus cable .

I do have a longer Asus SATA 3 cable, but I don't wish to have it draped over other components.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

kumakuma

Lee has invited Paul to hear these at either his or Paul's place, and Paul has indicated that he was interested in visiting Lee.

As Lee has already heard the differences between the files that I uploaded, after he said that he would be interested to hear one of my rips, it would also be an opportunity to see if Paul could hear the same differences as Lee hears from these files.

If Paul was able to , and also able to verify that at least on this occasion the checksums were still in fact identical, that would have given some common ground for further co-operation in finding the reasons why.

That thread was never intended to be a discussion thread, especially as the OP said that he heard benefits from using Safe Mode. It's up to the OP to decide if any of my suggestions were worthwhile or not.

No, I am saying that this type of cable is better due to having 2 separate screened cables in it's construction instead of 7 wires side by side in the typical rather long generic SATA cables supplied with many PCs that may, or may not, be as reliable at the wider bandwidths involved. It's normally better to use shorter cables as the earth reference resistances will be lower.

I would love to try Lee's suggestion of an Asus SATA 3 cable if I could find one 25cm long instead of the typical 50cm Asus cable .

I do have a longer Asus SATA 3 cable, but I don't wish to have it draped over other components.

Alex

Thanks for sharing this, Alex. Your approach to selecting SATA cables makes a lot of sense.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If it were simply a matter of only being zeros and pluses? 

USB cords would all sound the same to the DAC.  Do they? No.

Its not the case....   Something is piggy backing on top of those +'s  and 0's that better cables eliminate.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

I've got $2000 to anyone's $200 (and loser pays travel expenses) that if I put together a system using one OS drive, two data drives (all the same) and we use 1 normal for data a and one 'special' for data b that you can't hit 18 out of 20 flips of the coin when you use Foobar ABX comparitor tool all on your own setup from the DAC back. 

40 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

If it were simply a matter of only being zeros and pluses? 

USB cords would all sound the same to the DAC.  Do they? No.

Its not the case....   Something is piggy backing on top of those +'s  and 0's that better cables eliminate.

More likely they reduce, not eliminate.

15 minutes ago, plissken said:

when you use Foobar ABX comparitor tool all on your own setup from the DAC back. 

Since when was the Poobar software regarded as Audiophile quality by C.A. members , let alone using it with it's comparator?

Many members prefer the use of HQ Player, XXHE , cPlay, Audirvana  etc. over Foobar which was designed by a committee, and more likely to reveal differences where there are differences !

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Since when was the Poobar software regarded as Audiophile quality by C.A. members , let alone using it with it's comparator?

Many members prefer the use of HQ Player, XXHE , cPlay, Audirvana  etc. over Foobar which was designed by a committee, and more likely to reveal differences where there are differences !

You let me know when you want to put those products in bit perfect mode and compare to FooBar blinded. 

Just now, plissken said:

You let me know when you want to put those products in bit perfect mode and compare to FooBar blinded. 

Dream on.

Unlike you, I prefer a level playing field.

Just now, sandyk said:

Dream on.

Unlike you, I prefer a level playing field.

I like people that have no idea how clueless they sound. 

Again, let me know when you want to line up two products, turn off all pre-processing and go bit perfect to the DAC. We can setup a system that I can remote control and we'll just turn off the monitor while you evaluate. 

Just now, plissken said:

We can setup a system that I can remote control and we'll just turn off the monitor while you evaluate. 

You really are stupid if you think that anybody would trust you, with or without a remote control,  to arrange any kind of definitive tests.

As I replied recently to Ralf11, 6 separate DBTs, performed  M.C.  on different dates, each session with 8 repeats, and all of them POSITIVE, is FAR from the toss of a stupid coin !

BYE!

1 hour ago, plissken said:

I've got $2000 to anyone's $200 (and loser pays travel expenses) that if I put together a system using one OS drive, two data drives (all the same) and we use 1 normal for data a and one 'special' for data b that you can't hit 18 out of 20 flips of the coin when you use Foobar ABX comparitor tool all on your own setup from the DAC back. 

Is this offer still good in Australia?