IGNORED

How to rip dsd disc to hard drive?

Hi All,

My current DAC is almost six years old and it is time for an upgrade. I want to get a DSD DAC. I am not sure how to get DSD content onto my music storage hard drive to play with my CAPS 2 computer. I have a basic Samsung external DVD/CD connected to the CAPS via USB and I am thinking this would not be sufficient to rip a DSD disk. The last post I saw discussing this was several years old. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

And....I had pretty much decided on the Mytek 192 DSD, but my Scottish blood wants to cheap out for some Schiit. Comments welcome here too.

Duncan

My System: CAPS 2+; Sever 2012 R2; Audiophile Optimizer 1.23; MF VDAC; Audio Research CD1; Alexandria Oracle vinyl forever!); Audio Research SP9 MIII preamp; Counterpoint NP100 amp; Golden Ear Trident 2 speakers; Nordost Blue Heaven cables & interconnects.

Hi All,

My current DAC is almost six years old and it is time for an upgrade. I want to get a DSD DAC. I am not sure how to get DSD content onto my music storage hard drive to play with my CAPS 2 computer. I have a basic Samsung external DVD/CD connected to the CAPS via USB and I am thinking this would not be sufficient to rip a DSD disk. The last post I saw discussing this was several years old. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

And....I had pretty much decided on the Mytek 192 DSD, but my Scottish blood wants to cheap out for some Schiit. Comments welcome here too.

Duncan

My System: CAPS 2+; Sever 2012 R2; Audiophile Optimizer 1.23; MF VDAC; Audio Research CD1; Alexandria Oracle vinyl forever!); Audio Research SP9 MIII preamp; Counterpoint NP100 amp; Golden Ear Trident 2 speakers; Nordost Blue Heaven cables & interconnects.

You can't rip SACDs.... Unless you have a specific hacked Playstation 3. See the the huge thread on this site. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

You can buy DSD downloads. Acoustic Sounds and others offer them.

If you are set on getting a DSD capable DAC, look at the TEAC UD-501. Good price/performance ratio, good measurements. PCM sounds good too. Good headphone amp included.

You can't rip SACDs.... Unless you have a specific hacked Playstation 3. See the the huge thread on this site. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

You can buy DSD downloads. Acoustic Sounds and others offer them.

If you are set on getting a DSD capable DAC, look at the TEAC UD-501. Good price/performance ratio, good measurements. PCM sounds good too. Good headphone amp included.

Thank you for your response. I did not connect to this thread by how I was searching so this will be very helpful. Thanks also for the recommendation for Acoustic Sounds and the Teac. I will check them out.

Alternatively, use an SACD player like the EMM Labs CDSD or Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD.

Both of them seem capable of outputing the DSD stream on ST-optical.

Then all you need is a audio workstation (Sonoma/Pyramix/...) to record the DSD stream.

That's not exactly ripping, but you get a bit-perfect copy of the DSD contents.

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

Alternatively, use an SACD player like the EMM Labs CDSD or Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD.

Both of them seem capable of outputing the DSD stream on ST-optical.

Then all you need is a audio workstation (Sonoma/Pyramix/...) to record the DSD stream.

That's not exactly ripping, but you get a bit-perfect copy of the DSD contents.

Once the Scottish OP finds out the price of the recommended setup, we may need to send in the resuscitation unit...

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Once the Scottish OP finds out the price of the recommended setup, we may need to send in the resuscitation unit...

Great to see someone got the Scottish part of the joke :)

More seriously, knowing someone from the professional studio world could help to avoid having to buy these babies - I know guys with pretty advanced audio workstations, but I doubt any of those have a player that can output DSD from SACD over ST-optical. Luckily, I don't own neither a DSD-able DAC nor any SACDs ;-)

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A