IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

14 hours ago, waltoly said:

You can play favorites in random order. There's a hard-to-see button right next to the skip track forward button. It cycles through playing tracks in random order, or playing albums in random order. The button to the right of the random button is the track repeat button.

Never noticed these buttons, excellent tip!

14 hours ago, waltoly said:

Not aware of any way to access a file that contains favorites.  Or playlists. So you cannot import, export, or edit such a list. It all has to be done one at a time through the interface.

I really love the HAP-Z1ES, so many cool features. Fun to play music. Nothing is perfect though, and I would love to see:

1 - playlist editor and save/restore function

2 - “bookshelf” function where I can put my favorite CD’s (I do the same in the real world for my latest CD’s)

On ‎20‎-‎4‎-‎2016 at 1:37 PM, ognianfotev said:

HAP_Z1.jpg

With Seagate 4 TB 2,5" HDD. First remove old and connect temp new 4TB HDD.

Then reset HAP-Z1. Sony format HDD with MBR like 2TB and you see 1,7 TB free. Second remove new 4TB HDD from Sony and connect to PC with Windows. Use internal s-ata or USB case. Then with software Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite convert 4TB to GPT disc. Sony make two HDD volume. One 3GB for maser.db and second for storage (1,7TB) You must add rest of your 4TB HDD to second volume. On second volume right mouse button to Move/Resize volume and then pull right till maximum. So you make second volume from 1,7TB to 3,6TB. Free space before and after must set to 0. Then Yes button and APPLY top button. Wait ca.30 min. Your new HDD is ready. Connect to Sony again this is all. With Paragon_ExtFS_for_Windows_2.1.440 you can read and write music direct to Sony Linux HDD Ext4 on your Windows PC. After then rescan HDD in Sony.

I have also connect another external USB HDD 4 TB Seagate. Work great.

Hello,

Can anyone confirm that installing a 4TB HDD as discribed above is realy working?

greetings Berk

I got problem sync my music that I have around 11k song when sync the unit only 859songs .  It's say completed but the rest is not transfer.

Before that I able to transfer 11k after I deleted because I have to fix the album now it won't sync all my music.  

I am hook up my desktop wired to network.  Any ideas?

Thanks

There is an easy way to format the HDD.  Of course you will lose all your music on the HDD.  Just look at the quick reference guide or user manual or go to settings.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

13 hours ago, jvinhj240 said:

I pick the whole folder and deleted.   I did not pick each album.  
Can you show me how to edit the sycn text file or is there a way to format HDD?

Thanks

There is a file called "TransferHistory.txt" which contains all the sync data and is used by the HAP Music Transfer software to check which files should be synched. If you edit this file (it is a simple text file, you can use Notepad for it) and delete all the entries you would like to have copied again for example a Leo Kottke Disc stored on drive S:\...\..., then delete these lines:

S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\05 - Bill Cheatham.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:34) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:18
S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\14 - Monkey Lust.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:35) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:21
S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\08 - Bean Time.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:34) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:24
S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\10 - Short Stories.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:34) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:28
S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\06 - The Song Of The Swamp.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:34) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:31
S:\Acoustic Guitar\Leo Kottke\1995 - The Best\Disc 1\09 - The Spanish Entomologist.flac(2015-05-07 15:13:34) | DeviceName:HAP-Z1ES HAP_Internal | Result: OK | Time:2015-05-10 12:46:34
...etc

Just remove those line from the sync file, then start the Transfer utility and it will start copying these tracks again, independent from whether these tracks are present on the Sony or not.

This should work, because I once in a while delete some tracks from the Sony and also move them from my sync folder. If I want to have them back on my Sony I can either copy them manually or edit the sync file. Both methods work.

1 hour ago, jvinhj240 said:

I think my unit is failing.  It keeps on shut down while sync music.   I check there is no sleeping mode or stanby.    Do you guy think there is a problem of unit or settings.

A simple solution (which I use) is starting a playlist. It won’t shut down then.

You can also set Auto Standby to Off (under System Settings).

Hi everyone,
I received a few days ago my HAP-S1, which I am very happy with.
On the other hand, I noticed that when using it with my USB DAC (an old one I had) the normalisation, fade and DSEE (HX) options don't work. At least I'm not sure about the last one. I wanted to know if you also encounter this "problem" with your own DAC, or if it is the unit that simply does not manage this possibility.

Thank you :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

On ‎4‎-‎2‎-‎2018 at 5:57 PM, likearollingstone said:

no it doesn't work

YES, you can get it to display like the picture, but when you start to copy to the drive it gets corrupt

Hello Likearollingstone,

Sorry for my late reaction (vacation). Thank you for confirming that the 4TB won't work. I'm gonna buy a 2TB.

greetings Berk

• 3 weeks later...

Tidal... why no Tidal?

Great player, in all seriousness has anyone every been able to contact someone at Sony with a clue?

A few years at Axpona there was someone from Sony there and I keep kicking myself for not chasing them down.  I don't want to sell off this player as it's so damn good for the money, but man I want to be able to stream Tidal.

1 hour ago, dep14 said:

Tidal... why no Tidal?

Great player, in all seriousness has anyone every been able to contact someone at Sony with a clue?

A few years at Axpona there was someone from Sony there and I keep kicking myself for not chasing them down.  I don't want to sell off this player as it's so damn good for the money, but man I want to be able to stream Tidal.

I sold mine only because I got tired of waiting for Tidal. And I think Sony sold way less of HAP-Z1ES because of this. To bad because it is a great digital player.

@HiFiInsider - the argument for Tidal is access to higher resolution files than most other services provide, and access to millions of tracks that you wouldn't have on your local server(s).  If listening to the same music over and over appeals to you, so be it.  Many of us want access to music services and most of Tidal's HQ and MQA files sound very good.

That said, in my office system I have an Auralic Aries Mini in addition to my Sony HAP-Z1 so if I want to listen to Tidal I can.  To me it makes no sense to sell a Sony HAP-Z1 if it doesn't have Tidal since there are many cheap streaming systems that can provide access to Tidal and still let you keep your HAP.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

I'm guessing Tidal has a licensing fee that's beyond what Sony was willing to pass on to customers. Perhaps they can add that extra cost into the next model's price tag.

I'm another who doesn't care about Tidal or streaming... and I'm glad Sony didn't put much emphasis into that technology. For me, it's hi-res or nothing. I value quality over quantity.

5 hours ago, HiFiInsider said:

I don't care for TIDAL. My local .WAV files on the server sounds far better than TIDAL. Also, even with "Hi-Fi" subscription, it is not 100% that you will get a "CD quality" album from TIDAL. Some are mp3! 

Have no idea what you are listening to and how you setup your  streaming quality.When I set it  to Hi-fi or Master everything  I plays shows as 44.1 or 48 on my DAC. You do not have to care for Tidal,  just stick to the facts.