Is it possible tu use the iFi iUSB power unit with the PUC 2 or PUC Lite models ?

The PUC 2 has a special USB cable with two A connectors on the PC side and one B connector on the PUC 2.

I presume that the same cable is used with the PUC Lite.

Any experience with the PUC and a top grade USB cable ? How did you connect it ?

Im using PUC2.

It is not a must to use the original double USB connector cable to feed PUC2 with current and signal.

Im Using Entreq Konstntin USB with much better result then original cable:

http://h24-resize.s3.amazonaws.com/143646/31960963-G2ceX.jpg

From my understanding the PUC2 and PUC2 Lite consume/require 800mA of current and that is the reason the double USB is included. A typical USB port, on a desktop or laptop, will typically supply only 500mA of current which is not sufficient, therefore the double cable is supplying the necessary current from both (two = 500mA + 500mA = 1000mA available) USB ports.

Another possible solution, which is what I use, is to get a split cable where one side of the split feeds data from the PC and the other supplies power from a Linear Power Supply, with at least 800mA of current, to the feed the PUC. There are a number of cables of this type available.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

From my understanding the PUC2 and PUC2 Lite consume/require 800mA of current and that is the reason the double USB is included. A typical USB port, on a desktop or laptop, will typically supply only 500mA of current which is not sufficient, therefore the double cable is supplying the necessary current from both (two = 500mA + 500mA = 1000mA available) USB ports.

Another possible solution, which is what I use, is to get a split cable where one side of the split feeds data from the PC and the other supplies power from a Linear Power Supply, with at least 800mA of current, to the feed the PUC. There are a number of cables of this type available.

You can also use a battery, 5V 1000mA (1A or higher), in place of the Linear Power Supply.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

Thank you germay for your answer.

From the description of your installation, i think the Teradak LPS you are using is the Teralink U9VA. Can you confirm that is right ?

How do you connect the split USB cable : Power connector on the LPS, data connector on the PC ?

The Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable is very costly, more than twice the price of the PUC Lite in Europ.

Do you try, or do you know, some other split USB cable that can be used in place ?

This is exactly the configuration I use. The iUSB is capable of 1A current output and I don't think it matters if you connect two heads or not. The iUSB actually has two USB ports, one of which is Data and Power, the other of which is power only. I have used it both with a fancy aftermarket single headed usb cable into the iUSB and also with the dual headed into the two separate ports. It works fine either way.

Is it possible tu use the iFi iUSB power unit with the PUC 2 or PUC Lite models ?

The PUC 2 has a special USB cable with two A connectors on the PC side and one B connector on the PUC 2.

I presume that the same cable is used with the PUC Lite.

Any experience with the PUC and a top grade USB cable ? How did you connect it ?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Thank you germay for your answer.

From the description of your installation, i think the Teradak LPS you are using is the Teralink U9VA. Can you confirm that is right ?

How do you connect the split USB cable : Power connector on the LPS, data connector on the PC ?

The Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable is very costly, more than twice the price of the PUC Lite in Europ.

Do you try, or do you know, some other split USB cable that can be used in place ?

Yes, the LPS is the U9VA.

Yes, power leg is from the LPS and data is from the PC.

Yes, the Lightspeed is expensive however it is an excellent cable if you can afford the cost.

Here is a graphic of my setup and some links to companies that produce split cables.

*http://www.artisansilvercables.com

*http://www.elijahaudio.com (ISOLAATE BL)

*http://www.acoustic-revive.com

*http://www.ifi-audio.com (Gemini)

System.jpg

Germay,

Do you have the Puc2 non-lite version? How does it sound when used as a D/A converter out of the balanced outs?

Hi Kelly,

Since I don't have any equipment, preamp or amp, that has balanced inputs I've never tried the regular PUC2 (I don't have the Lite version) in that configuration. I could get adapters (balanced XLR to SE RCA's) to try it but I never have although I'm curious how it would sound.

Gery

Gery : Thanks for the detailed graphic and the links provided.

I suppose you get the PUC as an improvement over the internal DAC of the Burson conductor ?

Kelly : Did you find a better sound quality using a third party USB cable in place of the original Yellowtec cable ?

Some months ago I had on loan a PUC2 (not Lite) that i used as a USB to AES converter with very good results.

I listened to it also as a complete DAC on its analogue outputs that were equally impressive.

As an USB interface I found it preferable to the Wyred4Sound uLink or the Sotm DX-USB.

I suppose you get the PUC as an improvement over the internal DAC of the Burson conductor ?

Kelly : Did you find a better sound quality using a third party USB cable in place of the original Yellowtec cable ?

Some months ago I had on loan a PUC2 (not Lite) that i used as a USB to AES converter with very good results.

I listened to it also as a complete DAC on its analogue outputs that were equally impressive.

As an USB interface I found it preferable to the Wyred4Sound uLink or the Sotm DX-USB.

The upgraded cable is better, but not by a tremendous margin. It is a single headed cable that predated my iUSB power. If I were buying one now I would be tempted to use a split head cable with the iUSBPower, perhaps even ifi's own Gemini.

It is curious all the noise I have heard about the Puc2 was purely as a USB interface for other DACs. If the D/A section is as well designed as the rest of the unit I'm sure it's cracking good. It's amazing the Puc2 is still good by current standards considering it's been around as long as it has.

Francis, I got the PUC2 as an alternative to the Burson's USB input only, not not as a replacement for it's DAC. The DAC boards for the Burson, there are two available and I have both, are very high performance and I like them both. I haven't used the DAC in the PUC2 so I can't compare it to the Conductor.

Using the PUC2 as a USB replacement for the Burson USB, I find it provides more detail, better tone color (timbre) and the soundstage is more three dimensional.

• 1 month later...
PUC 2 Lite is a great converter!

Used with an Aqvox USB Power Supply it improves considerably my Mytek 192 DAC over FW and USB2!

I have much more detail, soundstage very deep and high...!

I don't understand why it is unknown on internet...!

It's made for a pro-audio market, no marketing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I too have purchased a PUC 2 Lite to use with Aurality PK90-USB. The Yellowtec PUC 2 Lite is connected to my DEQX HPD-3 with an Analysis Plus Digital Crystal AES/EBU cable.

Has any of you experienced very long burn in period on the PUC 2? I have now been playing in a loop for about a week, but the high frequencies are still very "noisy" and "s" and "tss" are very marked.

Hi,

I too have purchased a PUC 2 Lite to use with Aurality PK90-USB. The Yellowtec PUC 2 Lite is connected to my DEQX HPD-3 with an Analysis Plus Digital Crystal AES/EBU cable.

Has any of you experienced very long burn in period on the PUC 2? I have now been playing in a loop for about a week, but the high frequencies are still very "noisy" and "s" and "tss" are very marked.

Hi Brain,

I never experienced what you're describing with the PUC whatsoever. It was smooth, detailed and organic from day one with the Burson Conductor's DACs (ESS Sabre32 9018 and Burr-Brown PCM 1793) as I have both.

BrianC,

I didn't really notice much of a break-in period. Are you using an external power source for the Puc2? Something like a Teradak 5V USB supply or an ifi iUSB Power? The external power can make a huge difference. My Puc2 sounds perfectly good when driven off of motherboard USB power, but just not as good as when driven externally. It's hard to know why you are getting the sibilant exaggeration. It's not an issue I have heard of with the Puc2.

Sorry not to be of any real help...

Thank you very much Germay 0653 and Kelly,

My PUC 2 is powered by the Aurality with the standard USB-cable. A separate PSU is on my short list, but I believe the improvement will be of a more subtle kind.

Previous my system worked flawlessly with a Sonos, Cullen mod.

I will try to look somewhere else (cabling, wi-fi etc.)

I have now tried changing almost everything. But still the same result. Ended up replacing my Aurality PK90-USB with an old labtop playing a CD via Windows Media Player, and viola! All the harshness disappeared, and it was obvious, that PUC 2 is not the problem.

The labtop was connected in exactly the same way as the PK90, but with a much better result.

I have only read positive things about the PK90, so I think it must be the coorporation between the two.

But the PUC 2 is "off the hook"

• 1 year later...
Sorry to dig up this post but would it be a significant loss if I simply power the PUC2 Lite with a powerblock such as this one, delivering 5V 2A: New IT Micro USB International Power Adapter Kit for Raspberry Pi Model B: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Yes the puc2 can be powered by any 5v/1amp supply with the correct dc plug or by a USB Y cable, looks like your suggested USB power adaptor may need a bit of work on the plugs.

However mine is giving me start up problems when working with external 5v.

The computer will only recognise the puc2 if the puc2 is powered up after the computer.

If the puc2 is left permanently powered by the external 5v supply (which would be my preference) when the computer is turned on it doesn't recognise the puc2 and no green ready light and no music.

Various reviewers seem to have used the puc2 with external power and not reported problems as have people on this site so I don't know what's wrong with mine.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks stewart

Yes the puc2 can be powered by any 5v/1amp supply with the correct dc plug or by a USB Y cable, looks like your suggested USB power adaptor may need a bit of work on the plugs.

However mine is giving me start up problems when working with external 5v.

The computer will only recognise the puc2 if the puc2 is powered up after the computer.

If the puc2 is left permanently powered by the external 5v supply (which would be my preference) when the computer is turned on it doesn't recognise the puc2 and no green ready light and no music.

Various reviewers seem to have used the puc2 with external power and not reported problems as have people on this site so I don't know what's wrong with mine.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks stewart

Thanks stewart, this powerblock takes USB so the Y cable that comes with the PUC Lite should work. Can't comment on the problems with booting but I read elsewhere that there have been some driver issues - do you have the latest drivers?

I think the idea of using external power is mostly to get a cleaner 5v supply but also to be able to use a better USB cable, the standard one is ok but it does send the 5v down the same cable as the data. Separate data and supply cables seem to be flavour of the month either only joined at the USB b plug or not at all if your puc has a separate 5v socket. Mine has so I assume it's the latest version and earlier ones didn't have a separate 5v socket. As far as drivers go the puc when used with a Mac uses the computers own driver and doesn't need its own downloaded one.

I think the idea of using external power is mostly to get a cleaner 5v supply but also to be able to use a better USB cable, the standard one is ok but it does send the 5v down the same cable as the data. Separate data and supply cables seem to be flavour of the month either only joined at the USB b plug or not at all if your puc has a separate 5v socket. Mine has so I assume it's the latest version and earlier ones didn't have a separate 5v socket. As far as drivers go the puc when used with a Mac uses the computers own driver and doesn't need its own downloaded one.

I've got the PUC2 lite now but unfortunately once I start playing music I get a lot of constant white noise/hiss from my monitors. The noise isn't there when the device is on and everything is connected, but the laptop is not playing music.

- laptop: win 7, 64bit, using foobar/vlc/wmp, all same problem. Tried reinstalling drivers and firmware update several times.

- PUC: connection with Y cable. Tried powering from USB and external 5a power block, no difference

- speakers: genelec 8351a, active studio monitors

I suspect it's something to do with the PUC or firmware/drivers and so reached out to their support team. If anyone has any thoughts in the meantime, they'd be most welcome of course.. :)