IGNORED

Best of 2013 tweaks

The most important ingredient: Well recorded and nice music...

HNY 2014,

Roch

HNY Roch,

I wish Furtwangler's and every Richter's recordings were as good as, say, Savall's ; but I have always refused to limit myself to audiophile grade recordings : music first.

But then I look for the best output. I commented in my Breaking Bad thread (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/breaking-bad-18774/#post285074) that, when you own a NM genuine mythical first pressing of DSOTM, trying any form of digital is engaging in a masochistic activity (especially when you have to convert)… (30th anniversary vinyl might appeal the heavy bass fan, offerss precise localizations, handles properly the bells at the beginning of Time but… does not have the immediacy and tonal richness of the real thing). On the other hand, sound wise, the HDtracks download of the 1st Velvet Underground is much better than an original pressing “Torso” cover (very first pressing)

and for a fraction of the cost…

I'm sure I won't help and get KOB by MFSL...

BTW, I add to my best of tweaks playing non dac upconverted or SR converted (especially if it's done on fly by A+ vs offline in RX3) files. For, as you said of EQing, that I still favor* : it destroys the music !

* : offline in RX3, until I'm rich enough to buy Cabasse La Sphere that DSPs at active filters level or simply adopt Amarra IRC (but that would not help for dsd nor vinyl)

^ But you can use Dirac *with* Audirvana Plus.... right? Their website says its independent of the media player.....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ But you can use Dirac *with* Audirvana Plus.... right? Their website says its independent of the media player.....

It works in stand-alone mode (if you turn off the "direct" and "hog" features, understandably), but doesn't seem to cope in iTunes-integrated mode. (Bitperfect does, so I think it is a peculiarity of audirvana.)

to have to turn off direct and hog features refrains me ; so does the 96 limitation. Otherwise, it's an excellent suggestion

I think they plan to remove the 96kHz limitation, and the whole point of "direct" is to bypass any processing, which by definition would include Dirac's DSP. The other option (which I would prefer) is to have an AU plugin that does the same thing as Dirac's processor, but based on their replies in the thread on that topic in the DSP forum, that isn't likely to happen.

That's why I balked. For > US$550, I prefer not to have to compromise.

I think they plan to remove the 96kHz limitation, and the whole point of "direct" is to bypass any processing, which by definition would include Dirac's DSP. The other option (which I would prefer) is to have an AU plugin that does the same thing as Dirac's processor, but based on their replies in the thread on that topic in the DSP forum, that isn't likely to happen.

That's why I balked. For > US$550, I prefer not to have to compromise.

thank you, I'll have a look at the DSP forum.

However, I found that Alloy (doing the same thing as Dirac's processor) as an AU in A+ does not perform as well as an offline AU in RX. And once I dropped SRC and on on fly eQing in A+ i.... returned to Amarra

HNY Roch,

I wish Furtwangler's and every Richter's recordings were as good as, say, Savall's ; but I have always refused to limit myself to audiophile grade recordings : music first.

Please, don't get me wrong. My favorite music is not "audiophile quality", just some plain, pop, jazz & world regular CD, or DL music. And, of course, some DSD rips or DLs.

Although I own a giant music library, the 1TB external Thunderbolt SSD would be hard to fill in several years from now...!

Roch

Are you back from Colorado or in Colorado at the moment ? ;-)

LOL.

'Rocky Mountain high' takes on a new meaning. I wonder what John Denver would think?

Returning to topic, I'd vote for the results of Superdad et al in improving the SQ of my computer audio setup. Bang for buck, the discovered tweaks were surprisingly cheap, if a little frustrating to impliment. Not for the impatient or faint-hearted though, with quite a steep learning curve for us less nerdy types. :P

Or maybe I've been in denial about my closet nerdiness, and I've just 'outed' myself? Oh well, I'm in good company at CA!

Synology NAS, Mac Mini 2011 (with SSD and 16GB RAM), Lampizator L4 Gen4 PCM DAC, Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 line pre-amp, SGR CX4F active speakers, Apple iPad (as remote).

Software: OS X Mavericks, Amarra Symphony 3.0 with iRC/Audirvana Plus 1.5.12/, Remoter VNC (on iPad). CAD OS X script v2.2 (to remove redundant processes).

OS X Mavericks running from SD card; 8 GB RAM disk for music files.

All connected via a snakes nest of various exotic cables! ;o)

guess those guys would not approve my choice of a simple certified 2.0 usb cable...

And I'm not quite sure that they make their cables a single wave function for ever !

this being said, i would not be surprised that after such a stress the cable's structure gets measurably modified, maybe even aligned.

wish they would show crystallography and transmissions tests just after the stress end then after increasing periods of pink noise (would expect the cable to relax and get back to initial state)

1) This tweek would be on my list of all time best, not just 2013 best:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/cheap-music-server-power-tweak-very-good-18057/

2) I wrapped my cheap standard sata cables in a few layers of tin foil and then black electrical tape for a noticeable improvement. And, no, I'm sorry to report, I didn't try this 100 times while having my local pastor randomly changing cables to ensure I was really hearing what I thought I heard.

3) Blu Tack. I've become a big believer in using Blu Tack on cable ends, various electronic components inside main audio components and on my ssd's, all with the idea of trying to dampen various vibrations.

All in all, well less than $75 total, and all very worthwhile imo (and "imo" is the only thing that matters to me).

Bill

You two, it is going to take more than a little dope to make me think there are quantum tunnels in my speaker wires...

If you want to know what, just ask the speaker wire manufacturers that claim it...

At the risk of injecting a semi-serious note, there's quantum tunneling going on all the time everywhere. It's the suggestion that the phenomenon can be abetted by zapping with a couple million volts of static, and that this would have any lasting effect that the continual quantum tunneling in all things does not, that is nonsensical.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1) This tweek would be on my list of all time best, not just 2013 best:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/cheap-music-server-power-tweak-very-good-18057/

2) I wrapped my cheap standard sata cables in a few layers of tin foil and then black electrical tape for a noticeable improvement. And, no, I'm sorry to report, I didn't try this 100 times while having my local pastor randomly changing cables to ensure I was really hearing what I thought I heard.

3) Blu Tack. I've become a big believer in using Blu Tack on cable ends, various electronic components inside main audio components and on my ssd's, all with the idea of trying to dampen various vibrations.

All in all, well less than $75 total, and all very worthwhile imo (and "imo" is the only thing that matters to me).

Bill

just applied tweek 2 to my diy silver aes/ebu cable and seems to work, taped to metal neutrik connectors at each end.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Ear cleaning kit. Definitely best tweak last year.

especially if it helps you setting the right Absolute Polarity and volume (btw : found out you can't set a general polarity inversion in A+ for dsd files. And as a guy who until recently converted dsd files to pcm for eqing, I have the strong suspicion that DoP fed files from A+ to TEAC 501 get polarity inverted in the process ; won't waste time investigating, and just mind AP on a record to record basis, but this might be a parameter to take into account when comparing dsd and pcm).

especially if it helps you setting the right Absolute Polarity and volume (btw : found out you can't set a general polarity inversion in A+ for dsd files. And as a guy who until recently converted dsd files to pcm for eqing, I have the strong suspicion that DoP fed files from A+ to TEAC 501 get polarity inverted in the process ; won't waste time investigating, and just mind AP on a record to record basis, but this might be a parameter to take into account when comparing dsd and pcm).

Yeah, I see what you mean.

David