IGNORED

Audiophile 2496 card not fully installing under XP (sp3)- ideas welcome?

For some reason this card will not fully install. I've used the card's original driver disk and also drivers downloaded from the M-Audio site (v5), but neither are successful. They 'install' but then request a reboot - at which point XP's driver locating dialogue pops up as the card is not recognised. (I've let the dialogue run for 20+mins but it freezes eventually and finds nothing online or on the driver disk which I'd left in the CD drive for it to access.)

I've moved the card between two PCI slots with the same result. My system is well in excess of the minimum spec and everything otherwise is working smoothly.

Any advice from fellow 2496 users would be much-appreciated as I'm keen to get the card up and running.

Many thanks.

I have one of the cards in a spare machine. Had similar issues. Mine would sometimes be recognized and then you might boot a half a dozen times before it would be seen again. This was 3 or more years ago.

I fixed it by putting Ubuntu Studio on that machine as it was used for testing and some audio playback uses. You can download an iso to burn to DVD-R or to a USB memory stick. This will let you try Ubuntu Studio running off the DVD or memory stick without making any alterations in your computer OS to see how it works for you.

Download Ubuntu Studio « Ubuntu Studio

And seriously, XP lived a good long life, please let it die. An update to Win7 or 8 might be useful. Or using some form of linux is another good option. Linux is a good option for older equipment or for things not worth spending money on for a new windows or because you simply don't have the money to spare for new windows. Linux is pretty easy to migrate to, and performs very well. There is a transition to it from Windows, but it isn't too terribly difficult most of the time.

XP isn't going to be supported by MS so it is a security risk unless you never ever have your machine connected to a network. Even beside that it is an old rickety OS which you benefit to migrate away from in some form.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Many thanks, esldude.

- am with you the need to upgrade OS and will be trying Win8 again before the April end of XP support (multiple crashes when first tired when it came out)

- have used this card with XP (sp3) twice before without a problem, so assumed a third time would also be successful, but am still at a loss as to why it's not recognised, though noted on your experience of this

- have also contacted M-Delta's support forum but have had no replies, which is disappointing

Thanks again for taking the time to post.