IGNORED

Recommendations for Small and Inexpensive Laptop

Peter_S

Hi Folks, I'm helping a friend set up a PC audio system - mid fi style. We need to find a small laptop (preferably 12" screen or better yet smaller) to use as a music server, likely running Jriver Media Center. Small and CHEAP. Anyone have any recommendations? I know we need 4gb memory as a minimum. Plan on using an external HD for music (already have), although could go internal.

Wondering about Chromebooks, but I don't know anything about them. I assume they have their own OS, which probably wouldn't work here.

Thanks for your input. Peter

• 2 weeks later...

That laptop featured in the above blog post isn't really available anymore. Plus it is much bigger than the OP wants. That Acer Aspire looks neat. Is the HDD in that Acer replaceable?

I, too, am looking for a 10"-11" laptop for a music server. I already have a SSD ready to go in the machine. Currently I have a Dell Mini 10 running Jriver and am not liking the performance too well. All I use it for is playback and it freezes and pauses both my programs and music. And yes, I have stripped the Win7 pro OS to the minimum for smoothest operation.

BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Hi Folks, I'm helping a friend set up a PC audio system - mid fi style. We need to find a small laptop (preferably 12" screen or better yet smaller) to use as a music server, likely running Jriver Media Center. Small and CHEAP. Anyone have any recommendations? I know we need 4gb memory as a minimum. Plan on using an external HD for music (already have), although could go internal.

Wondering about Chromebooks, but I don't know anything about them. I assume they have their own OS, which probably wouldn't work here.

Thanks for your input. Peter

My only advice is to stay away from those small Intel Atom powered "net-books". They are uselessly slow, and you cannot add memory to most of them (they come with only 1 Gig, no expansion). They are cheap and small, but other than as an internet appliance, they are practically useless. I have a recent Toshiba Celeron-based laptop. It has a 320 Gig HDD, 4 Gigs of DRAM, includes Win7 and cost me $225 factory refurbished from Micro-center. It works fine as a music server, but it is not small (It has a 16" screen and a full-sized keyboard), so I don't know if one like this would suit your needs. It was cheap, though.

George

My only advice is to stay away from those small Intel Atom powered "net-books". They are uselessly slow, and you cannot add memory to most of them (they come with only 1 Gig, no expansion). They are cheap and small, but other than as an internet appliance, they are practically useless. I have a recent Toshiba Celeron-based laptop. It has a 320 Gig HDD, 4 Gigs of DRAM, includes Win7 and cost me $225 factory refurbished from Micro-center. It works fine as a music server, but it is not small (It has a 16" screen and a full-sized keyboard), so I don't know if one like this would suit your needs. It was cheap, though.

I really wished I received this advice before I purchased my used Dell Mini 10. It is everything you just described. That is why I am looking for a same sized alternative. My audio shelf is built in and I have hardly any room for a laptop. A 10"-11" fits perfectly.

I really wished I received this advice before I purchased my used Dell Mini 10. It is everything you just described. That is why I am looking for a same sized alternative. My audio shelf is built in and I have hardly any room for a laptop. A 10"-11" fits perfectly.

The only thing that I can recommend that's on the smallish size and has decent performance (to use as a music server) is one of these:

Apple MacBook 13 3" A1181 Intel Pentium Dual Core 1 8GHz 1g RAM 120GB HDD | eBay

George

The only thing that I can recommend that's on the smallish size and has decent performance (to use as a music server) is one of these:

Apple MacBook 13 3" A1181 Intel Pentium Dual Core 1 8GHz 1g RAM 120GB HDD | eBay

Of course depends on what you want to do with it. For DSP things I would recommend looking for something that has support for AVX instructions.

And for me, touch screen is important. It makes many things more convenient on music playback use.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I would be interested in that if I wasn't so anti-apple. Don't ask. However, I too, am interested in a touch screen mini laptop for music playback using Jriver.