IGNORED

Audrvana preferred audio device problem

Mark Pieron

Here a question from a newbie to Audirvana.

First my setup:

- Mac mini i7, 8gb RAM

- iTunes latest version

- Rega DAC

Mac mini is connected to the Rega DAC via toslink (Audioquest),

Rega DAC connected to the amp.

Normally I use Amarra, but I want to give Audirvana a try.

My problem is the following:

In preferences I have the preferred audio device set to 'Built-in Output' so the audio stream goes thru the toslink cable to my DAC.

But, in Audio Midi setup I can see that the HDMI output is active! If I change this manually to built-in output, there is no sound.

Another strange thing is that internet radio has no sound when Audio Midi is in HDMI, but when manually switched to built-in output there is sound for the internet radio (again, no sound from music in iTunes library).

See the screenshot. Active audio device in Audirvana is different than the actual audio device in Audio Midi setup.

Schermafbeelding 2013-12-29 om 17.51.11.png

How is this possible. If I can get this to work properly I want to buy the software. I see that Damien, the developer, is a member of this forum..

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Not sure what your problem is... Are you using iTunes Integrated mode?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Yes I'm using integrated mode.

The problem is that Audirvana is not controlling the audio output from my Mac mini the correct way.

It has to be via Built-in output. That is the optical out of the Mac mini, which is linked to my Rega DAC.

But when I select the Built-in output as preferred audio device in Audirvana, in audio midi setup (Mac OS) the HDMI output is active.

That means that the audio signal goes thru the HDMI cable, thru my tv to my amp. And that is not the correct way of course.

I hope this is a little more clear?

Ok, I understand.

You can’t get any sound from the Rega while A+ is running? Are you switching between Amarra and A+ without a restart? That always cause problems...

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Hmmz, I've found the cause..

When Exclusive access mode is switched to on, my problem occurs. When turned of, al works well!

Any idea how that is possible? Does that mean that other settings in my Mac mini are not correct?

As far as I can see this exclusive access mode is important for best quality..

Yet another question. In the volume settings, what is the best setting? DAC only, or software? Don't quite know what is does with my Rega DAC...

Thanks for the help!

Seems A+ thinks the built in output is used by another app. Again it’s best to do a restart when switching between audio apps. Amarra also exclusive access mode. Does a restart fix it?

Yes I did a restart, but no changes.

I've been playing around with the settings:

Switched the output for sound effects to digital output (Mac OS), but with exclusive access mode on A+ switches it back to the HDMI output. Not sure if this is correct. But when I than switch from internet radio to music from iTunes, A+ switches the audio out to HDMI as well.

Again, if I switch of the exclusive access mode I have no problems...

But I think it is not the way this should work?

I have no experience with optical out, but your situation seems strange.

What I would do:

1. After restart with no apps running, open Midi settings and select Built in output as sound out

2. Select Computer speakers for sound effects.

3. Quit Midi settings.

4. Open A+ and select Built in output as source.

Volume control: do you need it? Best option is to have the pre/amp take care of that.

Oke, I did exactly what you would do and I think it solved it.

Now when playing from the iTunes Library nothing is selected in audio midi setup. Is this how it's supposed to be?

When I switch to internet radio, the built-in output is selected. When I switch back, nothing selected in audio midi setup.

Screenshot:

Schermafbeelding 2013-12-30 om 11.11.51.png

I think this is oke now. If so, thanks!

I don't need the volume control, but you answered my question: let the amp take car of that :-)

Great!

A+ takes over quite a bit of the audio settings. With A+ running the Midi settings isn’t showing correct information.

Haha - yes. Haven’t been there for ages though.