IGNORED

Transfer iTunes ratings to JRMC

barito7

To the best of my knowledge play counts and ratings cannot be transferred from iTunes to JMRC as this information is not embedded in the files being transferred. I have not read or heard of anyone doing this with a third party software.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm not really interested in getting my ratings into Jriver, but in the first potential step of such a transition, as I still prefer the sound of Audirvana and Amarra over JRiver.

How about hard coding the rating into an unused tag, which could then be read by Jriver?

Personally I'm just a bit weary that my close to 10,000 tags are only stored in the ITL file, and not hard coded. I'll probably just use a workaround with smart playlists for each rating, and then enter the corresponding star rating as a "1" to "5" in an unused field like one of the "video" tags. So at least the information is hardcoded somewhere in the file and doesn't get lost if the Itunes library crashes.

• 2 years later...

I found this thread almost by accident and thought I'd give it a bump as it's over two years old and things move on. The thing is, I have thousands of tracks that have been rated in iTunes over the years. This is precious data to me and I would dearly love to keep this data both preserved and useful outside of iTunes. Any ideas?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1. sort your music by rating.

2. select all tracks of same rating.

3. do a "get info".

4. change a blank field (I use "grouping") to the correct rating.

5. save and repeat until finished.

I did this for 3000 albums rated by 1/2 stars in about 10 minutes.

Greg

This looks like a great idea. It at least gives you some kind of back up of your ratings, outside of whatever plans Apple might have for track ratings. I presume this then stores the 'rating' data in the individual music files, rather than in the iTunes .itl file?

As an aside, I have done something similar to the above within Roon. In this case, create playlists in iTunes for rated 5, rated 4 etc. Roon can then pick up these playlists, you can group in Roon and then 'Tag' the tracks, as rated 5, rated 4 etc. Of course this does not embed the rating metadata in the music file itself, but at least it does give a separate version of your ratings outside of the iTunes ecosystem. For me, I do like the idea of the ratings being part of the actual music file. After all, Roon could revise how they work, Roon could go bust, who knows? So embedding this precious data in the music file itself has to be the way to go I think.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

AFAIK this is true. At least when I transfer files to my off-line hard drive, this data goes with it, where the "real" ratings do not.

Greg

This indeed looks like the most workable solution.

I wonder if there is any kind of semi-official tag within an ALAC file that could best be used (I use grouping already for the classical "oeuvre".