IGNORED

Searching for Gapless Surround Solution

I am pleased with the proliferation of surround downloads from Channel Classics, Chandos (theclassicalshop), and hopefully soon BIS (eClassical), but I don't have the a solution for playback in place. I would settle for the OPPO 103 with a USB stick, but I don't believe that would perform gaplessly. I don't mind streaming, but I question whether that is ideal for these huge files. What gapless solutions for surround files (up to 24/192 PCM and DSD) would forum members recommend?

Searching for Gapless Surround Solution

What gapless solutions for surround files (up to 24/192 PCM and DSD) would forum members recommend?

I have no problems with gapless surround.

Decibel or Audirvana+ on my MacBook Pro plays absolutely gapless even +500MB files.

Example: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V" plays gapless into "Welcome to the Machine" (420MB FLAC) on

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here from the Immersion Bluray (5.1 24/96).

Equipment:

Promise Pegasus R6 RAID5 -> thunderbolt ->

MacBook Pro, 120GB SSD, 16GB RAM -> Firewire ->

Weiss AFI-1

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I think any software player that plays gapless stereo, should play gapless surround (if it plays surround at all). For instance JRiver MC plays surround and as far as I know plays it gapless. And you're right about the Oppo not playing gapless from usb--unless it's been upgraded.

Chris

Yes. The Oppo will not do gapless. Well natively anyway: There is a work around though - put everything in a cue sheet set up, which is a bit of a PITA. The Oppo will also not support DSD via uPnp. Or play DSD via that USB port. I've recently had great gapless surround experience: both PCM and DSD with the e28 and A+. There will shortly be an upgraded A+ library solution I'm lead to believe which can only be a bonus for this great software. Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yes. The Oppo will not do gapless. Well natively anyway: There is a work around though - put everything in a cue sheet set up, which is a bit of a PITA. The Oppo will also not support DSD via uPnp. Or play DSD via that USB port. I've recently had great gapless surround experience: both PCM and DSD with the e28 and A+. There will shortly be an upgraded A+ library solution I'm lead to believe which can only be a bonus for this great software. Wap.

I assume you are referring to the exaSound e28. This looks like a nice unit, albeit quite pricey at over $3000. It appears the e28 may be the only product of its kind on the market (the e18 at $2000 appears to handle surround PCM, but only stereo DSD). Perhaps Oppo's successor to the 105 will handle DSD/PCM multichannel via asynchronous USB (or gapless via USB stick). Are there any less expensive alternatives to the e28?

^Not that I know of. You can do multichannel up to 24/192 PCM via progear such as the Metric Halo: but these options don't do DSD. There is TedB's 3xMytek option and the exasound e28. And the Oppo. That's it as far as I know. The Oppo does stream DSD and PCM multichannel files no problem, but not gaplessly. It does PCM via uPnp and both via SMB. It won't do DSD via uPnp which means you can't store and play all your files on the one uPnp server (like Minimserver) it also means you can't use uPnp control programs. The gapless workaround involves saving all the files in a queue sheet file then mounting that file as an SMB share: which though works becomes time consuming: particularly if you have a large library. Oppo knows about these issues and the USB one as well. It's not certain whether these are hardware or software limitations. The internal DAC of course is similar...? The same Sabre as the e28. There are rumours the next (upgraded) "105" will fix these known issues...well maybee the USB one...but I'm suspicious you will need to trade the 105 for new hardware. Whether the uPnp issue is fixed even after that is not certain either. You see mounting a file via SMB or USB stick works because the queue sheet file appears to the player like an actual SACD disk. Where as streaming uPnp is different. So is asych USB playback as well. So the issue is embedded as a problem because the current Oppo is at the end of the day a disc player that's been "adapted" as a streamer: rather than a streamer or USB DAC that's been designed as such from scratch. There may also be legal reasons involved. All this of course is my understanding of the state of play as an owner of the device and IMHO. I'm not an audioengineer or work for Oppo. I've tried asking them as a customer, but have not managed to get any solid answers about the current issues or future directions for the product.

But yes. The exasound e28 will do what you want gaplessly with either JRiver or Audirvana plus. See my other posts on which software is best right now. Each have there strengths and weaknesses. Search out TedB's excellent review of the e28, here on CA as well. It's a great review of the e28 and state of play of multichannel playback.

Hope this helps. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

. . . It appears the e28 may be the only product of its kind on the market (the e18 at $2000 appears to handle surround PCM, but only stereo DSD). . . .

DAD (Digital Audio Denmark) has the AX24, so there are more solutions available.

AX24 plays up to 24 bit 384kHz PCM and DSD 64 + 128.

Now, if you have to ask for the price . . . .

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”