IGNORED

Upgrade suggestions

Hi,

I'm looking to do some upgrading and looking for some suggestions...

I have a living room 11' x 11' and I do 60% movies 40% music.

I have the following components:

L & R: B&W CM8

Center: B&W CM Center

Surround: B&W CM1

Pre-Pro: Integra DHC-80.3

AMP: Emotiva XPA5

Computer (Windows 8) - DVI to HDMI cable to DHC-80.3 (I have NVIDIA GTX 680 video card)

Blu Ray Player - Oppo 93

Note: For movies, I rip my movies and watch them in my PC with XBMC.

In particular, I'm looking to improve the sound of music from computer.

I have been hesitant in buying music... but i have only a few music CD's and 1 album from hd tracks. I use foobar to play music in PC... but I suppose due to convenience... I find myself playing music with Spotify.

I do have an audio calibration blu-ray disc from AIX where it has a music video sampler. I play this from OPPO 93 player and the sound is night and day that I am getting from audio from my PC... whether it is playing from Spotify, audio CD's or HD Tracks...

Wanted to get suggestions on what improvements I can do...

What software should I use in Windows ?

Should I be getting a separate DAC ?

I noticed Blu-Ray audio discs... should I get these ? If not... what audio format ?

Upgrade speakers ? I probably can improve on speakers... but maybe there are other things I should upgrade first ?

Thanks in advance.

What shortcomings do you perceive? If the answer is none, then you should obtain a Bowers and Wilkins PV1D subwoofer.

I forgot to mention that I have 2 JL Audio F112 subs... I think its a bit overkill to have 2 subs...

When I play an AIX blu-ray sampler disc from my OPPO 93... There is a night & day difference in audio quality compared to audio play in PC... Hence, I figure maybe there are things I can do to improve on PC side...

What is the difference between using a PC vs Mac mini ?

BTW, I do have an apple TV, but mainly use it for watching HBO GO.

You can get great sound from either, set up correctly. I prefer a windows based system, having just moved from a Mac Mini but that is preference. I think my windows machine sound better than my Mini.

If you're not liking the sound of your system, there are probably bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

You can get great sound from either, set up correctly. I prefer a windows based system, having just moved from a Mac Mini but that is preference. I think my windows machine sound better than my Mini.

If you're not liking the sound of your system, there are probably bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

Since I already have a windows 8 PC... I would prefer to stay with this unless there is a night and day difference....

Not that I don't like the sound... but feel that it can be improved... So, yes... what I'm looking for... Is how I should be setting up my system properly....

For music... should I be getting a separate DAC and then connect it to analog input on my pre-pro ?

HDMI 1.3 and 1.4a can pass the high def audio codecs but i believe the the DVI initial connection limits that. Also, what's your display for movies?......and does your MOBO have an optical audio output?

When watching movies I do get dts hd master audio & true HD... So I don't think ther are limitations there.....

I have a 60 inch 1080p Plasma TV... Yes, my MOBO does have an optical out.

I forgot to mention that I have 2 JL Audio F112 subs... I think its a bit overkill to have 2 subs...

When I play an AIX blu-ray sampler disc from my OPPO 93... There is a night & day difference in audio quality compared to audio play in PC... Hence, I figure maybe there are things I can do to improve on PC side...

Can you just use the Oppo as a DAC?

You might want to try hooking up the subs so that each plays only one channel (left or right). This is what Jim Smith recommends, and it is what I would do if I did not have a wife.

From all I've heard and read and from personal experience, computer audio should sound as good if not better than audio from a cd player--if the computer is set up well. I mention this just to say that it's very likely that you'll be able to significantly improve your pc sound with some of the suggestions you get here.

My guess is that your pc sound problems relate to how you're connecting your pc to your Integra. As I think Mayhem and others mentioned, try the hdmi and the optical out for stereo. BTW, Foobar should be fine for software.

I would rip a cd that you know well, to flac or wav, and play it through your pc and compare it to the Oppo sound while using the different pc connections. If you can use the Oppo dac, it would be an interesting way to exactly compare your Oppo cd sound vs. the pc sound. But even if you play it through the Integra the sound should be similar if not better than the through the Oppo's dac.

Chris

Can you just use the Oppo as a DAC?

You might want to try hooking up the subs so that each plays only one channel (left or right). This is what Jim Smith recommends, and it is what I would do if I did not have a wife.

I have OPPO 93.... I don't think I can put PC as an input on OPPO 93 unless I upgrade to the 103 or 105 ?

With my subs... Not sure how to play subs on one channel.... I'm not understanding on how to play only on one channel. My integra (DHC-80.3) has 2 inputs for subs... So i connect each sub to each input.

My guess is that your pc sound problems relate to how you're connecting your pc to your Integra. As I think Mayhem and others mentioned, try the hdmi and the optical out for stereo. BTW, Foobar should be fine for software.

I would rip a cd that you know well, to flac or wav, and play it through your pc and compare it to the Oppo sound while using the different pc connections. If you can use the Oppo dac, it would be an interesting way to exactly compare your Oppo cd sound vs. the pc sound. But even if you play it through the Integra the sound should be similar if not better than the through the Oppo's dac.

Chris

This is a good suggestion... Play the same song from CD disc in OPPO vs playing ripped song on PC....

I have OPPO 93.... I don't think I can put PC as an input on OPPO 93 unless I upgrade to the 103 or 105 ?

With my subs... Not sure how to play subs on one channel.... I'm not understanding on how to play only on one channel. My integra (DHC-80.3) has 2 inputs for subs... So i connect each sub to each input.

Re your subs, you're already doing what he suggests, so you're fine as you are.

Chris

This is a good suggestion... Play the same song from CD disc in OPPO vs playing ripped song on PC....

OK... So I played around a bit... When connecting HDMI to video card.... It wasn't recognizing (play back devices still display "Not plugged in")... tried plugging digital out but it was inconvenient... because to work... I had to unplug HDMI so that audio came from optical but then I had no video.... I'm sure I'm missing something.... In any case I decided to compare DVI out from video card against OPPO and played same song.... Surprisingly.... I couldn't hear a difference... and if there was a difference... I couldn't tell...

I think my issue was comparing apples vs oranges... I was comparing the blu-ray video sampler to audio CD....

I had called my B&W dealer and the first thing they recommended was getting an external DAC (Meridian DAC - Director)... and I was assuming I was going to get a DAC recommendation... :)

I suppose my issue is really the audio quality I am playing...

In any case I decided to compare DVI out from video card against OPPO and played same song.... Surprisingly.... I couldn't hear a difference... and if there was a difference... I couldn't tell...

I think my issue was comparing apples vs oranges... I was comparing the blu-ray video sampler to audio CD....

I had called my B&W dealer and the first thing they recommended was getting an external DAC (Meridian DAC - Director)... and I was assuming I was going to get a DAC recommendation... :)

I suppose my issue is really the audio quality I am playing...

I'm glad you tried the options. Now you should probably try the same test with the best sounding cd that you have, or something you know really well. If you don't find a difference that matters to you, you should be set, at least for awhile.

Chris

Hi spike9876,

Hi,

I'm looking to do some upgrading and looking for some suggestions...

I have a living room 11' x 11' and I do 60% movies 40% music.

I have the following components:

L & R: B&W CM8

Center: B&W CM Center

Surround: B&W CM1

Pre-Pro: Integra DHC-80.3

AMP: Emotiva XPA5

Computer (Windows 8) - DVI to HDMI cable to DHC-80.3 (I have NVIDIA GTX 680 video card)

Blu Ray Player - Oppo 93

Note: For movies, I rip my movies and watch them in my PC with XBMC.

In particular, I'm looking to improve the sound of music from computer.

I have been hesitant in buying music... but i have only a few music CD's and 1 album from hd tracks. I use foobar to play music in PC... but I suppose due to convenience... I find myself playing music with Spotify.

I do have an audio calibration blu-ray disc from AIX where it has a music video sampler. I play this from OPPO 93 player and the sound is night and day that I am getting from audio from my PC... whether it is playing from Spotify, audio CD's or HD Tracks...

Wanted to get suggestions on what improvements I can do...

What software should I use in Windows ?

Should I be getting a separate DAC ?

I noticed Blu-Ray audio discs... should I get these ? If not... what audio format ?

Upgrade speakers ? I probably can improve on speakers... but maybe there are other things I should upgrade first ?

Thanks in advance.

You don't mention the height of the room but with the length and width making an 11 foot square, I would think there is some pretty serious boom in the bass, with the room "ringing" at ~102 Hz and its first few multiples.

Such a room would make it difficult to hear low level detail in both music and movies, as the room is still ringing after a sound ends, in effect, filling in the spaces between sounds. Bass "punch" is actually diminished in this type of situation.

So, my first suggestion would be to address the room. This can take the form of a commercial solution (such as ACS's wonderful Tube Traps) or a DIY (do it yourself) solution, using one of the recipes for building your own cylindrical traps that can be found on the Web. As an ultra-econo means of getting a glimpse of what this will do the the sound, you can try the following:

1. Gather a bunch of brown cardboard boxes, like the kind in which items are delivered to supermarkets. Ideally, something like 16" x 16" x 24" but anything close will do. You need enough of these to stack the long way into columns that will be at least 6 feet fall. (In the example size I mention, that would be three to a column.)

2. Gather enough newspapers to crumple individual sheets and fill all of the boxes with them. Stuff the boxes as tightly as you can with the crumpled sheets of newspaper. Then tape the boxes closed and stack them to create the columns.

3. Start with a column in each of the room's four corners. Ideally, add another column at the mid-point along each wall.

4. If possible, cover each column with soft, absorbent fabric.

Now listen to music you are very familiar with. Note that even with the system off, conversation in the room is now easier to understand.

For more, similar info, see Setting up your monitoring environment.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

P.S. There are plenty of good reasons to use two subs, by the way. For one, room response in the bass will be more even than with a single sub. Another reason is that you maintain stereo all the way down. If the quantity of low bass is too much, a simple level adjustment can fix it.