IGNORED

ISO: $1k turnkey music server

jdjaye

Friends, Geeks, Audiophiles, lend me your expertise!

Specifically, what do you think the best options are for a $1k music server?

Preferences:

1. No need to crack the box.

2. Don't need to install more than 3 software products.

3. Supports 24/192 and DSD formats

4. iPad playback control

5. Expandable USB drive storage

Does anyone all something like this, or is a Mac mini the best option?

Many thanks, and happy holidays!

Ps. I'm sure there will be many different opinions, but please, let's disagree without being disagreeable-:)

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Ideally no software needing to be installed, but is it is a repurposed PC or Mac, then you might need to install something... Any suggestions ?

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

You could look at the Auraliti players though they may be trickier to set up than a MacMini.

But a MacMini may be best ... out of the box, install BitPerfect or Audirvana and bobs your uncle.

You can tweak it stopping spotlight, and similar: but I would question "One and a Half's" assertion that you need to.

A MacMini with 256GB SSD is $999 or if you are happy with a little noise then the the 1TB HDD version can be had for just $599.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sorry duplicate post.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.