IGNORED

The Plasmatron - interesting new product

kevalin

I came across this new product and thought I would post it here since it would apply to our digital front end. This has so far had really positive reviews and Chris VenHaus of vhaudio (v-caps capacitors) himself is very reputable in the audio community. The was used in at least one room of the RMAF, Vapor Audio.

More 3-D sound stage and analog sound has been consistently described. (I have no affiliation with the company)

VH Audio Plasmatron

CAS 2013: Loggie Audio presents YG Acoustics | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile

http://www.vhaudio.com/plasmatron.html

From the website:

First developed in the 1920's, Thyratron tubes are essentially gas controlled rectifiers. Different from typical vacuum tubes, gas-filled Thyratrons are capable of handling much higher current than their vacuum tube cousins, and this is one of the key attributes to their usage in the Plasmatron. The stunning blue plasma glow is created by ionized, xenon gas.

The Plasmatron provides a more linear voltage output by adding negative resistance to the power line source impedance. But that’s ‘EE-speak’... What that really means is: the voltage supplied by the Plasmatron won’t drop. In fact, it can actually go up, when the load is increased. Need more. Get more.

From Chris V:

There are numerous effects, some of which I cannot disclose, because there is ongoing R&D that may transfer to other applications/products. As stated in the product copy, one of these items is adding negative resistance to the power line source impedance. Each tube is responsible for ½ of the sine wave, with each Thyratron effectively acting as a ‘switch’ for each half of the sine wave (turning on/off 60 times per second). After extensive R&D, we’ve identified at least a half dozen distinct effects the Plasmatron is having on the output, relative to the input AC. I am not at liberty to disclose these other items, beyond what’s in the published product copy… At some point, more may be released, but for now- the company is happy to let the unit be judged on the performance in audiophiles’ systems, which will be obvious- as has been the case with all who have heard and A/B’d….

Plasmatron

Actual prices are significantly cheaper than listed on his website. This is what they were in the 'cart':

3A/330W 2 receptacle $2000

3A/330W 4 receptacle $2200

6A/660W 2 receptacle $3000

6A/660W 4 receptacle $3200

I am guessing good until the end of the year, or the pre-order batch is sold.

I ordered the 6A version since I will be running a 10 rail Paul Hynes linear PS, which can consume 40% over computer current draw plus 40 watts of house power. I will post my results when it is up and running. I doubt the current price will still be available after I review it, but I honestly do not know.

-j

From my corespondance from Chris...

"...once people get it into their system and listen, this will sell itself- and won’t care about the ‘how it works’. They only care that is DOES work. The negative resistance is solid science, and can be measured objectively in a lab.

As an aside, I’ve spent nearly a year studying this with one of my own engineers. This person is one of the world’s top experts in his field. His comment to me was that it could take one person a lifetime of dedication to fully understand/master the physics behind a single known behavior of a ‘gas filled tube’ (also known as arc lighting). The last person to have known the peculiarities behind these types of tubes (xenon thyratrons of this construction) has long since been retired or passed on. So it was up to my engineer to re-learn what many of the old-timers had known for some time… Very exciting stuff, and will no doubt be the subject of controversy, as people who’ve never heard the unit chime in with their ‘expert’ opinions ;-) I’m content with knowing there is ‘more’ to the story, and let the unit sink/float based on customer’s experience with the unit. "

Well they don't say what kind of gas they are using in the thyratrons. Could it be that mercury vapor, xenon, and neon all sound different? Or how about the ultra-rare hydrogen thyratron?

Also, are they using a triode, pentode, or tetrode? Inquiring minds want to know!

Generic xenon filled negative control triodes. The datasheets are available in various places online.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

A 'thyratron' is just a Silicon Controlled Rectifier that light's up a pretty color. Remember those old light dimmer's that made noise in your hi-fi?

Based on the specs, I suspect this device is a pair of thyratrons wired in series with the live side of the mains supply, like a pair of SCRs or a Triac would be in a dimmer. Each thyratron conducts on half of the AC cycle. They might control the duty cycle like a light dimmer, but I doubt it - it would inject a lot of noise into the mains supply, just like a dimmer. So they probably just bias them permanently on.

They make claims that the negative resistance characteristic of the tube can actually increase the output power as the load increases, but I think this is unlikely - once the tube is conducting, the voltage drop across it increases with anode current. Although it looks like a triode valve, it works like a SCR / triac - once it has been biased into conduction, it goes to full conduction and stays that way regardless of grid voltage until the anode current drops to effectively zero. So it's pretty, but I suspect the major improvement it will make is due to the likely inclusion of an effective line filter to keep the commutating noise out of the connected equipment.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Per the website, there is a 2 week return policy. Just cover shipping, insured.

I did make the observation that the website lists the introductory prices as:

3A/330W $3999 and list price afterward at $4999, when actually it is currently $1999 in the 'cart'

6A/660W $5999, $6999, and $2999 repectively.

This 50%+ price reduction is good for the pre-order batch only.

I honestly do not know what the real market price will be, but I am guessing by the time I write the review this price will nolonger be valid.

If you have interest, I would ask more details regarding if/when there is a price increase. Or, you could also consider purchasing one, trial it and see. This way, you can get in on the better price.

I was expecting to pay the higher price and was surprised, pleasantly, when the actual price was much less. I was debating if the 6A version was worth the extra 2K, yikes! (1K, price difference currently)

Again, I have no affiliation with this product.

I expect delivery the third week of January

-j

Wasn't the Plasmatron introduced in the Woody Allen movie "Sleeper"?

Exactly what I thought of when I read the title. :)

I think I might prefer the device in "Sleeper", though.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Too make matters worse for my posts above, I overlooked this small print:

I had not come across a 50% down deposit before in this hobby.

VH Audio is now accepting preorders for the Plasmatron, at introductory pricing. This exciting new AC power product is available online, exclusively at VH Audio. Preorders entered now are expected to ship worldwide, in January 2014. A 50% deposit is required to pre-order. Simply add a unit to your shopping cart, and the 50% deposit (+ shipping) is automatically calculated. The balance will be required when your Plasmatron is ready to ship. Introductory pricing is being offered for a limited time, and may change without notice.

So my previous posts above regarding price are in error. My apologies to Chris V and the community here for posting mis-information. This was not my intention.

I still think it will be a stellar product, given feedback from those who already have one. I will post my thoughts in late January, when mine is shipped.