There is not a lot of options with XLRs that are on the inexpensive side.

Schiit Gungir - $850USD

Teac UD501 - $850

Geek Pulse X - $439 and no delivery till May/June

I am unfamiliar with the Audio-GD line up but they may have something less expensive too.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

HRT Music Streamer HD would be another option - I believe Stereophile has reviewed it.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

The Genelec 8030 have XLR and 1/8" inputs, correct?

If so, yes this would be a much less expensive option. You could try it out with your Meridian and see what you think.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Just get a dac with TRS jacks and use TRS to XLR cables. The TRS is very common, small footprint.

The pro dacs are almost all balanced output.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Hello All,

I am going to buy some Genelec 8030 speakers for home. What DACs should I consider. At work I have the Meridian Explorer, which sounds fine to me, and I'd like not to spend more than about the same amount.

But I need a DAC with XLR outputs.

Ideas?!

Thanks!

Michael

If you don't care for DSD, one of the better values is the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC.

Review here from audioholics: Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC/Preamp Review | Audioholics

If you would like to have DSD and higher rate PCM, the best deal right now is the indiegogo campaign for the Light Harmonic Geek Pulse plus the Geek PulseX upgrade for XLR outputs. The Pulse X will also have balanced and unbalanced headphone out. There are optional additional upgrades one can choose like linear power supply, and a femto clock. but the price will go up as you get the upgrades. Could get closer to $800 when all is said and done and the DAC with all upgrades will retail closer to $1,300.00. You would have to wait until May or June for delivery though, as it is a crowdfunding campaign and it still have 10 days to go.

Both the Emotiva and the PulseX are dual mono differential designs with Pre-Amp functionality.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Musical Fidelity M1DAC:Musical Fidelity | M1DAC DAC

I got the TEAC UD 501. Sounds great but no volume control.

The M1DAC doesn't have volume either.

Not much XLR choices at less that $500.

Perhaps the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus or Audiolab M-DAC - not sure of the US prices for these.

The Matrix Mini-I DAC looks to have a new 2014 version which look interesting and the old version always got good reviews.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You certainly *do not* want an analog volume control on the DAC, the Genelecs have one--never stack analog potentiometers, even when your components are buffered, bad for sound. Unless it only adjusts gain without attenuation ($$$). Another choice is the $475US

Parasound - Zdac - Digital to Analog Converter-Audio Advisor

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

You certainly *do not* want an analog volume control on the DAC, the Genelecs have one--never stack analog potentiometers, even when your components are buffered, bad for sound. Unless it only adjusts gain without attenuation ($$$).

That may be true in theory, in practice you probably want some form of volume on the DAC for convinience (especially if you are using it for devices other than a computer) as adjusting the volume on the back of your active speakers every time you need to alter the volume just isn't practical.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I am going to buy some Genelec 8030 speakers for home.

Hi Michael

I'm the resident Genelec fanboy ;-)

I love the Genelec take on things, and the fantastic sound you get from it.

May I be of some assistance?

Genelc Consumer lines

Genelec now have consumer lines (F/G and M) that offer RCA as well as XLR.

G Three is the new consumer equivalent of the 8030

The F Two Active Subwoofer would be a fitting upgrade for the G Three.

It extends down to 27hz, not bad for a small price competitive setup.

M030 is a new take on the monitor size, it has both XLR + ¼" plug + RCA

Less costly setup w/sub

Combine G Two active loudspeaker with F One Active Subwoofer still reaching 35hz.

DSP and sub - The ultimate solution.

8130 is Genelecs digital input equivalent of the 8030.

It takes PCM up to 24/192, has DSP in the SE7261A sub and superb room correction and sub integration.

You will need a AES/EBU (AES3) digital input for the sub + GLM-SE to calibrate and control the rig.

April Stello U3 is a fine USB -> AES3 DDC if you only expect to do a stereo setup.

Check Vintage King Audio for good price references.

And good luck

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

...never stack analog potentiometers, even when your components are buffered, bad for sound. Unless it only adjusts gain without attenuation...

That may be true in theory, in practice you probably want some form of volume on the DAC for convinience (especially if you are using it for devices other than a computer) as adjusting the volume on the back of your active speakers every time you need to alter the volume just isn't practical.

Eloise

That's a good point. I was assuming, with no evidence, that the OP was going to use these as computer monitors and be very close to them. I remembered that the 80x0 series had front volume controls, since they are typically nearfield, console-mounted monitors: the 8030s are quite small. (EDIT: the 8030s have front VCs, the bigger ones don't.)

You brought up the matter of quality vs. convenience and got me thinking about ways of addressing that. Some really good active speakers probably enable you to defeat the volume control, doubtful but possible with the Genelecs. They might also have remote volume control--again doubtful with this range, but maybe. And finally with the new 32 bit DACs it is trivial to make volume control switchable and sometimes with great quality, as I understand.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

That's a good point. I was assuming, with no evidence, that the OP was going to use these as computer monitors and be very close to them. I remembered that the 80x0 series had front volume controls, since they are typically nearfield, console-mounted monitors: the 8030s are quite small. (EDIT: the 8030s have front VCs, the bigger ones don't.)

Even with front mounted VC surely there is still a large inconvenience factor in that each time you adjust the volume you have to adjust left and right separately and ensure everything is balanced.

As I say not the end of the worlds but ideally you want to set the volume on the monitors and forget them.

And finally with the new 32 bit DACs it is trivial to make volume control switchable and sometimes with great quality, as I understand.

Well as I commented a lot (okay perhaps I only thought it) of the suggested DACs which do have a volume utilise a digital volume control.

Eloise

---

Eloise,

Oops, I forgot about that category of monitors... (includes the 8030s). Thanks.

Sam

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, for desktop computer use with an iMac as source.

I think I'll get the 8030 speakers with the DacMagic. There do seem to be better DACs, but it's hard to get them locally, and I can get a DacMagic here from a solid company. From what I understand it has a digital volume control, and I think it will be fine for the use (listening with scrutiny to recordings, but not mixing).

Thank you!