IGNORED

Lumin vs Linn Akurate DS

I'm looking at a streamer - either a Lumin or Linn Akurate DS. Does anyone here have experience with the Lumin? I have heard the Akurate several times and its terrific. But I'm curious how the Lumin would compare to it.

DSD is nice, but not critical since most of the DSD material right now is the SOS. I'm most interested in the SQ of redbook and high res PCM.

As a follow up, I had read that one of the negatives of the Lumin was that when you add new music, you had to reboot the NAS in order for it to show up in the music list. Is this still the case?

Rebooting the NAS would probably be more a issue with the UPnP software rather than the LUMIN device.

LUMIN recommend using MinimServer which does unfortunately have the limitation that it only re-reads the library for changes at boot. The workaround which is coming (hopefully) soon is a web interface for MinimServer which will allow a simple one click restart of the server prompting a re-read. Full (scheduled) re-reading of the library is something that is being worked on but apparently is more challenging and will take longer (if it ever comes).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rebooting the NAS would probably be more a issue with the UPnP software rather than the LUMIN device.

LUMIN recommend using MinimServer which does unfortunately have the limitation that it only re-reads the library for changes at boot. The workaround which is coming (hopefully) soon is a web interface for MinimServer which will allow a simple one click restart of the server prompting a re-read. Full (scheduled) re-reading of the library is something that is being worked on but apparently is more challenging and will take longer (if it ever comes).

Eloise

Thanks Eloise. I am assuming the Linn does not suffer this same fate?

Thanks Eloise. I am assuming the Linn does not suffer this same fate?

If you use MinimServer with the Linn then the problem will be the same.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As a follow up, I had read that one of the negatives of the Lumin was that when you add new music, you had to reboot the NAS in order for it to show up in the music list. Is this still the case?

Hello,

I'm using the Lumin with Minimserver and a Synology NAS.

I've installed Minimwatch on the computer.

Every-time I make a change on my library or add rips (CDs or downloaded files) to my NAS I just simply stop Minimwatch wait a few seconds and restart it.

After it's done, on the Lumin App, (Ipad) : Setup>Minimserver> Options I select "Update Music Library" and it updates my Library.

No need to reboot the NAS.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Pedro

Hello,

I'm using the Lumin with Minimserver and a Synology NAS.

I've installed Minimwatch on the computer.

Every-time I make a change on my library or add rips (CDs or downloaded files) to my NAS I just simply stop Minimwatch wait a few seconds and restart it.

After it's done, on the Lumin App, (Ipad) : Setup>Minimserver> Options I select "Update Music Library" and it updates my Library.

No need to reboot the NAS.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Pedro

Thanks Pedro. Lumin tech support has been terrific as well.

Hello mbovaird,

I used to own an Akurate DS0 modified by G.Volk and I am now using a Lumin with a K.Lau power supply.

The Lumin outclasses the Linn to me as it sounds more natural with a better resolution.

I also suggest you give a try to Jriver which features a powerful and reliable music server.