IGNORED

Streamer or DAC that is controlled by my smartphone?

xyzzy

Hi All, Though I am a long time audiophile I am only just getting into digital audio and have a bit to learn. Wanted to get feedback on what is available for devices or software that can stream digital content and be controlled from my smartphone (iPhone). What I would like is local storage on the device (hard disk / flash drive) and an app on my smartphone that allows me to browse the content on the device and select and stream it to a dac. The device can be a computer (mac or PC) or a standalone device. Want support for all bit rates (at least up to 192K/24bit). Its OK if the dac is built in but prefer separate since dac quality is improving every year. Suggestions? Thanks!!!

Both Itunes (recommended for Mac only) and Jriver Media Center (for PC and Mac) have excellent remote apps for Iphone and Ipad.

Apple - Apps - Remote

JRemote – The iOS remote for JRiver Media Center

Just pick which OS you are more comfortable with, and get it with an on-board SSD (although if you have a large music collection you may prefer an larger external spinning drive) .

If you prefer a streamer like a Linn Sneaky, there's a whole lot of apps out there based on several standards including DNLA, the best one seems to be Linn's Kinsky app:

Linn

Your desires pretty much mirror mine BUT...as far as I know the only way to wirelessly send music from a phone is through Blue Tooth and that is limited to CD quality or worse. I can, on my phone (Sony Xperia Z) by wired connection, send a high rez file to an outboard DAC (I use a Fiio E7K) using the USB Audio Recorder Pro (UARP) app and send that signal to my audio setup. As far as I know no phone comes with a High Rez DAC.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Your desires pretty much mirror mine BUT...as far as I know the only way to wirelessly send music from a phone is through Blue Tooth and that is limited to CD quality or worse. I can, on my phone (Sony Xperia Z) by wired connection, send a high rez file to an outboard DAC (I use a Fiio E7K) using the USB Audio Recorder Pro (UARP) app and send that signal to my audio setup. As far as I know no phone comes with a High Rez DAC.
Thanks, my requirement isn't that the phone send the bits. I only want the phone to browse and to select files on the streamer. My high bit rate music files will be stored on the streamer (or network drive) and want the streamer to send the high rez file to the DAC (or DAC is built in). I expect to use mostly high-bit rate files around music with 96K/24 or 192k/24 being the area of most interest.

I think you need to run a server software somewhere, either on an NAS or PC. For example, I use a SBT but need LMS running on the PC (or NAS). I can control with my Android phone or my iPad. Some devices can bypass the PC/NAS such as Naim Uniti or Linn's or others (Olive, etc).

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Both Itunes (recommended for Mac only) and Jriver Media Center (for PC and Mac) have excellent remote apps for Iphone and Ipad.

Apple - Apps - Remote

JRemote – The iOS remote for JRiver Media Center

Just pick which OS you are more comfortable with, and get it with an on-board SSD (although if you have a large music collection you may prefer an larger external spinning drive) .

If you prefer a streamer like a Linn Sneaky, there's a whole lot of apps out there based on several standards including DNLA, the best one seems to be Linn's Kinsky app:

Linn

Hi, thanks! iTunes limits me on high-res files. I have heard plug-ins are available but no experience with them. I'm checking out JRMC!

I think you need to run a server software somewhere, either on an NAS or PC. For example, I use a SBT but need LMS running on the PC (or NAS). I can control with my Android phone or my iPad. Some devices can bypass the PC/NAS such as Naim Uniti or Linn's or others (Olive, etc).

I have a NAS (synology 212j). What is SBT and LMS? Thanks!

Hi, thanks! iTunes limits me on high-res files. I have heard plug-ins are available but no experience with them. I'm checking out JMRC!

No iTunes doesn't limit. I play 192/24 all day long in iTunes, using Remote app on iPhone/iPad to control and use Up Next. No plug in. I'm on Mac. Totally awesome. My non-tech wife can even do it.

Airplay has a 44.1 limit, but you said you don't want to send bits from the phone.

I have a NAS (synology 212j). What is SBT and LMS? Thanks!

SBT: Squeezebox Touch (discontinued)

LMS: Logitech Media Server - used by other hardware such as Sonore

Many alternatives to LMS; DLNA servers (google is your friend), Twonky, JRiver etc..

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Wanted to get feedback on what is available for devices or software that can stream digital content and be controlled from my smartphone (iPhone). What I would like is local storage on the device (hard disk / flash drive) and an app on my smartphone that allows me to browse the content on the device and select and stream it to a dac.

Quite a few music players on all major operating systems can be controlled from a remote device. As a generic solution you can find DLNA, even if it has its limitations (I think gapless play is still an issue, also compatibility between devices). There are commercial solutions available, e.g. the Linn product line. If you want to use a computer, maybe you should first pick your favourite operating system, and then search for applications.

I had XBMC (OpenELEC) running for a while, currently I'm using voyage mpd.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

James

Have you tried the BubbleUPnP app on your Android phone?

Not only is it one of the few UPnP/DLNA control points available that supports gapless playback, it also comes with a built in UPnP/DLNA renderer (to convert the phone into a streamer) and (more relevant to the discussion) a UPnP/DLNA server, which allows any music files stored on the phone to be streamed to any UPnP/DLNA supporting player on the network!

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Quite a few music players on all major operating systems can be controlled from a remote device. As a generic solution you can find DLNA, even if it has its limitations (I think gapless play is still an issue, also compatibility between devices).
Gapless playback is now supported in the vast majority of the DLNA network audio players. So they will support gapless when controlling the playback from them, often when using the supplied proprietary iOS or Android app (though not older Denon & Marantz models) and certainly when using the remote control. However the issue of gapless being unsupported still remains for most when it's used as a DLNA renderer, ie when a UPnP/DLNA controller is used to select the tracks & 'push' them to the streamer.

Ironically, the latest offerings from Denon & Marantz do support gapless 'fully', ie, as both DLNA players & renderers. Let's hope this trend continues.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi, thanks! iTunes limits me on high-res files. I have heard plug-ins are available but no experience with them. I'm checking out JRMC!

ITunes (Mac) sounds best indeed in combination with an external player like Audirvana+ (Computer Audiophile's readers choice product of the year 2012, and for a good reason) and Amarra.

But indeed, JRiver is a good all in one alternative.

I can't believe no one suggested Foobar2000. It's a great player for PCs with both Android and iPhone controller apps available. Foobar also has UPnP capability, so you can use it as a server to stream to other computers and devices on your network (and over the internet to your phone, if you're so inclined). It'll play virtually any music file at any resolution (including DSD with a plugin). Keep your music files on the HD in the PC and it meets all your requirements at no cost (although donating to the open source creators is a nice idea).

I use Foobar at home and at work - it's great.

Hi All, Though I am a long time audiophile I am only just getting into digital audio and have a bit to learn. Wanted to get feedback on what is available for devices or software that can stream digital content and be controlled from my smartphone (iPhone). What I would like is local storage on the device (hard disk / flash drive) and an app on my smartphone that allows me to browse the content on the device and select and stream it to a dac. The device can be a computer (mac or PC) or a standalone device. Want support for all bit rates (at least up to 192K/24bit). Its OK if the dac is built in but prefer separate since dac quality is improving every year. Suggestions? Thanks!!!

Vortexbox

Jesus R

I can't believe no one suggested Foobar2000. It's a great player for PCs with both Android and iPhone controller apps available. Foobar also has UPnP capability, so you can use it as a server to stream to other computers and devices on your network (and over the internet to your phone, if you're so inclined). It'll play virtually any music file at any resolution (including DSD with a plugin). Keep your music files on the HD in the PC and it meets all your requirements at no cost (although donating to the open source creators is a nice idea).

I use Foobar at home and at work - it's great.

I like Foobar, but it's kind of "roll your own", if you know what I mean ;)

You get *very* bare bones setup, you have to add various decoders and processors to get it to work with all the various file types, etc. It's a fun project to set it up (and cool that it's free), but not really for the faint of heart (or the beginner), IMO.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

James

Have you tried the BubbleUPnP app on your Android phone?

Not only is it one of the few UPnP/DLNA control points available that supports gapless playback, it also comes with a built in UPnP/DLNA renderer (to convert the phone into a streamer) and (more relevant to the discussion) a UPnP/DLNA server, which allows any music files stored on the phone to be streamed to any UPnP/DLNA supporting player on the network!

John

Now I get to demonstrate my ignorance...I have no idea what UPnP/DLNA means or does. My current set up lets me send a 24/96 file from my phone to a 24/96 capable DAC via a cable. From the DAC I can send the music via cable to any existing audio gear I own. I can also send a CD quality wireless signal via blue tooth to any blue tooth capable device. For me a big change would be to send a wireless 24/96 file to a wireless capable DAC. I do not use my how wireless network to play music as all my audio and computer gear is simply too old to do that without a lot of new expensive receivers and transmitters.

That last sentence might be inaccurate as I do play Pandora on my video setup though I do not have any Hi-Rez capable devices in that equipment chain.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Now I get to demonstrate my ignorance...I have no idea what UPnP/DLNA means or does.
Here's a good place to start. Local too, thanks to Chris:

Computer Audiophile - The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

You never know, might have you network streaming within a week, may be even with that old computer kit of yours!

-- Jo Cox