IGNORED

Mac mini dies on me

I performed a transplant on my mac mini 2009 - the taller white top one.

Removed all antennas, and ran some of the terminal scripts posted on this site. AND removed power to the fan.

Woow that gave a mayor boost in dimension and soundstage depth.

BUT then after 45mins it died on me, I guessed properly due to overheating, it was a little more than hand worm on the outside, nothing wild.

The day after I fired it up again, an now it ran for only 20mins and died, being a lot colder on the outside.

Can we say something about what that is? Overheating, or did I fry some vital organs in my strive for perfection?

Plug the fan back in dude. Sounds like something is triggering the over-temperature protection causing the machine to shut down, most likely the cpu. It will fry eventually, and the cooler you can keep your components the longer they will last.

I will I will, and let you know, if it fixes it.

But how about passive cooling, anyone?

Several people have tried ... and failed!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Get a free temperature gauge software, which I would recommend not running in the background for serious listening, just to check if your solution will melt your CPU or not, is the following:

• smcFanControl (can download it from cnet)

I have the fan powered by a cheap bench linear PSU and had to play with the speed a little to keep the temp around 45C. The lowering of noise floor was surprising to me too, but it no longer draws that constantly changing current from the mobo.

But you need a cooling solution!

I did not go passive as you need a lot more space and tinkering. Do a search and you will find a few that have done so on a pc.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a dashboard widget called "i-stat" which, along with a great amount of other useful geeky information, will show you the current temperature at various points and of various chips in your Mac. WELL worth investigating.

The Mini runs significantly hotter than other Macs. 30-50 degrees hotter when compared to corresponding points in my MacPro (Nehalem chipset). Once you see how warm your Mini is WITH the fans.....you'll rethink removing them.

....sT