IGNORED

Finding Jimi Hendrix

The last time I purchased a CD player was in 1985. It still works swell but oh that internal dac. I broke down 2 days ago & acquired a very slightly used Marantz CD6004. (to those of you who upgrade ever time your deck gets a new release - thank you.)

Time to buy a CD.

I've never bought any Hendrix, but have always loved his music. "So... which Jimi Hendrix CD's should I start with?" I think to myself, as I type "amazon.com". 30 minutes later, I have yet to make a single choice because his collection is so carn-sarned over-saturated. It seems the Hendrix family long ago discovered there's a lot of money to be made in re-releasing the old recordings of their departed loved one. But these folks have taken it to a whole new level. The word "Shameless" doesn't begin to cover it.

What are your favorite CD versions of his work?

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

The last time I purchased a CD player was in 1985. It still works swell but oh that internal dac. I broke down 2 days ago & acquired a very slightly used Marantz CD6004. (to those of you who upgrade ever time your deck gets a new release - thank you.)

Time to buy a CD.

I've never bought any Hendrix, but have always loved his music. "So... which Jimi Hendrix CD's should I start with?" I think to myself, as I type "amazon.com". 30 minutes later, I have yet to make a single choice because his collection is so carn-sarned over-saturated. It seems the Hendrix family long ago discovered there's a lot of money to be made in re-releasing the old recordings of their departed loved one. But these folks have taken it to a whole new level. The word "Shameless" doesn't begin to cover it.

What are your favorite CD versions of his work?

Gary

For me, the essential albums to own are, "Are You Experienced", "Axis: Bold As Love", 'Electric Ladyland", and "The Cry of Love". For a discussion of which version of each to seek out, this discussion makes interesting reading:

CD_sound

I agree that Are You Experienced, Axis and Electric Ladyland are the 3 to own. Cry of Love, though excellent, is in the 2nd tier of Hendrix albums to own but the others mentioned are the essentials. Some people rate the one CD Band of Gypsys(as opposed to the double CD set) to also be high on the list(and essential to some). I don't agree but it is a choice for you to make based on your own taste. If I had to pick 5 Hendrix CD's they would be the essential 3 noted above plus Cry of Love and First Rays. Cry of Love, BTW, sells for a considerable amount of money these days as it is out of print. Also, there is a good discussion of which Hendrix CD versions to own on the Steve Hoffman Forum. I'm specifically endorsing that discussion and making a blanket endorsement of the otherwise controversial SH forum.

Esau

For me, the essential albums to own are, "Are You Experienced", "Axis: Bold As Love", 'Electric Ladyland", and "The Cry of Love". For a discussion of which version of each to seek out, this discussion makes interesting reading:

CD_sound

Thanks to you, robcentola, and wgscott for your input.

After reading over an hour of material on this subject, I've concluded life is too short. I'll place the above 5 recommended CD's on the Christmas list and let my mother-in-law or some other poor unsuspecting relative decide.

Until then, perhaps I'll try something from Diana Krall.

Have a great weekend.

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I agree that Are You Experienced, Axis and Electric Ladyland are the 3 to own. Cry of Love, though excellent, is in the 2nd tier of Hendrix albums to own but the others mentioned are the essentials. Some people rate the one CD Band of Gypsys(as opposed to the double CD set) to also be high on the list(and essential to some). I don't agree but it is a choice for you to make based on your own taste. If I had to pick 5 Hendrix CD's they would be the essential 3 noted above plus Cry of Love and First Rays. Cry of Love, BTW, sells for a considerable amount of money these days as it is out of print. Also, there is a good discussion of which Hendrix CD versions to own on the Steve Hoffman Forum. I'm specifically endorsing that discussion and making a blanket endorsement of the otherwise controversial SH forum.

Esau

Agree with the above. I'd rank the order Are You Experience, Electric Ladyland, and Axis.

As far as versions, it's not complicated - I strongly recommend to stick with the remasters done by the Hendrix Family trust since 1996. These are the best versions, IMO.

As far as too much material: Yes, the work of Jimi has been mined to death. But again, the relatively recent stuff done by his family trust is all pretty good and is worth hearing. Some of it is very good. Some of it is interesting, but only for completists and collectors. Before his family got control of his catalog, there was a lot of poor sounding and/or purely exploitative stuff put out.

If you missed the BBC/PBS docu (Hear My Train a Comin) on PBS last month either buy it or download it. It's really good and will give you a great intro/insight into Hendrix.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Agree in general with what's been posted above. I'm among those who very much like Cry of Love, so I'd include that. Band of Gypsys, being live, is probably worth it just for the sheer jaw-dropping "You mean he can actually do all that stuff live?" effect.

Agree that the PBS docu-film was very good. One thing the doc couldn't convey is just how revolutionary Hendrix's sound was at the time. We were all used to Beatles, Stones, Who, etc., where even with great players (Keith Richard, Charlie Watts, Pete Townshend, Keith Moon) the vocals were way out front in the mix. Jimi's albums were the first with the instruments and vocals on an equal basis, or even instruments out front. They set the pattern for rock recordings from then on (Cream, Zeppelin, and everyone who followed). Rock (as opposed to pop) records have never gone back to the vocal-dominated mixes of the pre-Hendrix era.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Agree in general with what's been posted above. I'm among those who very much like Cry of Love, so I'd include that. Band of Gypsys, being live, is probably worth it just for the sheer jaw-dropping "You mean he can actually do all that stuff live?" effect.

Agree that the PBS docu-film was very good. One thing the doc couldn't convey is just how revolutionary Hendrix's sound was at the time. We were all used to Beatles, Stones, Who, etc., where even with great players (Keith Richard, Charlie Watts, Pete Townshend, Keith Moon) the vocals were way out front in the mix. Jimi's albums were the first with the instruments and vocals on an equal basis, or even instruments out front. They set the pattern for rock recordings from then on (Cream, Zeppelin, and everyone who followed). Rock (as opposed to pop) records have never gone back to the vocal-dominated mixes of the pre-Hendrix era.

Thanks for your comments, Jud. I'll check those out.

Speaking of revolutionary... With the exception of Rap & Hip Hop, I've always had tremendous respect and appreciation for revolutionary musicians & music. The creation of something from literally NOTHING is, imho, art in its very highest form. "There's nothing new under the sun" is 99.99999% true. The few who accomplish it have done the "almost impossible", and the fewer who actually do it "well" are a miraculous gift to us all. This is what made The Beatles' "Abbey Road" one of my all-time favorite records, and Zeppelin and Radiohead among my all-time favorite bands.

Btw, I would have had some appreciation for Rap if it didn't kill off almost all Motown-type music. Back in the 60 & 70's, black musicians were GODS. They created some of the greatest music on the planet, and their singing was crazy good to boot. In stark contrast, Rap artists didn't sing at all, but worse, they appeared to be quasi gansters & pimps which eventually became practically a prerequisite to be considered legitimate. Could there have been a WORSE example for our kids? I really miss the great music of our black brothers & sisters.

Gary

Band of Gypsy's. It has "Machine Gun" which is the master class in whammy bar. One of the best live albums ever.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I agree with most of what has been posted here, but will add a few thoughts anyway.

His first three albums, with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, are absolute must haves. To me, they get closer to what Jimi wanted to do with each album. I think Are You Experienced? is the most even song collection, and it absolutely has great songs on it, but I think it is also his most commercially aimed album. This of course makes sense, as he was a brand new artist and his label wanted him to get maximum exposure. But I believe there are interviews out there where Jimi himself later expressed dissatisfaction with some of that album. BTW, you might as well get the release that features all of both the US and UK releases, plus I think some B sides.

Axis is a little more experimental, and to me a bit of a mixed bag. It has some of my absolute favorite songs, including Little Wing, which I think is certainly his best ballad.

Electric Ladyland is definitely a mixed bag. 1983 and Moon Turn the Tides, which is basically one long song, has some nice licks but is pretty darn noodly. The Noel Redding song is a throwaway to me, but whatever. The REST of that album is ungodly. I think it's a close to Jimi getting exactly what he wanted on tape in the studio. When he brings that Muddy Waters riff crashing straight down from Venus after singing "I have a hummingbird and it hums so loud..." well, you would "think you were losing your mind." That album is probably truest to Jimi's roots in blues, soul and R&B.

Cry of Love, I think you have to have for Angel, if nothing else, but I like a lot of that album. Perhaps my favorite, other than Angel, is the lazy blues with wah-wah picking on Belly Button Window. Jimi having a relaxed conversation with his guitar.

Band of Gypsies is as essential as the studio albums for Machine Gun.

There is a very mixed tribute CD called Searching for Jimi Hendrix, that I recommend for Cassandra Wilson's cover of Angel and The Blind Boys of Alabama doing Drifting acapella.

Both are posthumous albums.

Note this from the positive review to Cry of Love from allmusic.com

Cry of Love as an album has been rendered as a footnote, since the Hendrix estate has recompiled, to Hendrix's specifications, First Rays of the New Rising Sun. This (originally) double-album set contains not only the entire Cry of Love LP, but the best studio tracks from Rainbow Bridge, War Heroes, and Crash Landing, presented in drastically improved sound.

First Rays of the New Rising Sun - Jimi Hendrix | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I must say that I have a particular fondness for Jimi as some parts out of Electric Lady Studio are in my stereo.

Don't forget Woodstock, the Star Spangled Banner has never been the same for me LOL...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

as some parts out of Electric Lady Studio are in my stereo.

Can you elaborate?

By the way, see: Amazon.com: Are You Experienced: Music

You can get the expanded version (bonus tracks - the tracks from the UK version different from the US Version and singles) plus the other 2 main studio albums for a package price. I'm not sure what the differences between the 1997, 2010, and 2013 versions of Are You Experienced are. I think they are all from the same remaster. Someone else chime in if you know.

UTC HA-100X Input Transformer LA2A LA-2A HA100X Vintage | Vintage Transformer

Microphone transformers used in my moving coil step up, and lately another pair on my DAC. They make a very nice I/V with my SABRE- taking away some of the mechanical/clunkiness. Still on trial, but particularly nice with strings- fancy that!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

While released well after his passing, I really like First Rays of the New Rising Sun recording Firedog suggests. I have had it since it shortly after it was released. The recording is pretty good, the songs not your usual fare, but all very good and sound good to Hendrix fans.

Another which I am not sure is still available is Live at Winterland. Now the sound quality is mediocre for the most part. But it is one of his finest performances in my opinion.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Agree with the above. I'd rank the order Are You Experience, Electric Ladyland, and Axis.

As far as versions, it's not complicated - I strongly recommend to stick with the remasters done by the Hendrix Family trust since 1996.

Not complicated if you don't mind a fair bit of digital compression. I would advise to seek out earlier pressings. ELL isn't too bad in its latest form.

Not complicated if you don't mind a fair bit of digital compression. I would advise to seek out earlier pressings. ELL isn't too bad in its latest form.

Yes, they have some compression. To my ear, with the compression I find them better sounding remasters. The compression isn't to a level I find bothersome.

Yes, they have some compression. To my ear, with the compression I find them better sounding remasters. The compression isn't to a level I find bothersome.

I don't know if you have had an opportunity to hear the early Reprise for the first two, but I would expect that you would approve, based on comments that I have seen you post on other masters. Must avoid the no-noise versions though.

I don't know if you have had an opportunity to hear the early Reprise for the first two, but I would expect that you would approve, based on comments that I have seen you post on other masters. Must avoid the no-noise versions though.

These 1980's CD releases have the best dynamic range, no noise reduction, and sound most like the original Hendrix LP's from 1967-1970.

Are You Experienced (US) Reprise 6261

Axis: Bold As Love Reprise 6281-2

Electric Ladyland (2-CD set) Reprise 6307-2

The Cry of Love Reprise 2034-2

Band of Gypsys Polydor 821 933-2

• 2 months later...
Very nice set indeed ; and since we're talking vinyl, get Classic records' MONO version of Axis ; it beats the original stereo LPS I own (3 colors Reprise and UK Track with the poster)

I have all three of those versions of Axis too. And Track version of Electric Ladyland (I think that's pretty rare). Bought them all new in mid-1970s at infamous L.A. record stores/head shops. Crazy to remember at 12 years old I holding out for British and German import LPs. My first turntable was a Dual 601 belt drive. Cartridges were Micro Acoustics and Grado. I even was into cleaning. So all the LPs from my childhood are in fantastic shape. I still use my late-1970's Zerostat!

• 1 year later...

Necrobump but after just spending the better part of the past day or two sorting through endless versions, and going to much to much internet debate on this issue, the previously posted list below is definitely what you want to have. The only trade-off is a bit of tape noise but everything else is clear the best even compared to the vaunted Japanese P20P versions which appear to have about 2 DR units of compression across the board. You can't go wrong with these. Search high and low for them and you will be rewarded. As mentioned they are purported to be from the master tapes (at least the 1st 3 from the Experience), are not de-hissed, and have the best dynamic range.

These 1980's CD releases have the best dynamic range, no noise reduction, and sound most like the original Hendrix LP's from 1967-1970.

Are You Experienced (US) Reprise 6261

Axis: Bold As Love Reprise 6281-2

Electric Ladyland (2-CD set) Reprise 6307-2

The Cry of Love Reprise 2034-2

Band of Gypsys Polydor 821 933-2

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future