IGNORED

New Berkeley DAC? This article implies as much but ... ?

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series

Talk about bad journalism....a picture, a totally vague statement, then a link to the Berkeley site that makes no mention of a new DAC....I would be keenly interested and have always wondered when these guys would jump into the newer DAC market having set the baseline for complete high fidelity digital for so many years.

Any one have any news?

Cheers,

WDW

From Wizard High-End Audio Blog: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference...

Alpha-DAC-Reference-Series-angle.jpg

$14000

Berkeley Audio Design is extremely pleased to announce the availability of the new Alpha DAC Reference Series.

The Alpha DAC Reference Series embodies everything we know about digital to analogue conversion taken to an unprecedented level – a level that requires new design concepts & new components at the edge of what is possible. The result is an immediacy and presence of music reproduction that is simply real.

We literally designed the Reference Series before is was possible to built it. Almost three years in development, the Alpha DAC Reference Series uses components designed to our specifications that were not commercially available. Several suppliers were not able to meet our requirements which delayed the release of the Reference Series by more than one year. But those obstacles were overcome and now the Alpha DAC Reference Series is a reality.

The presence & sonic reality of the Reference Series is the result of digital to analogue conversion at a new level of accuracy made possible by tremendous electrical & mechanical noise isolation coupled with extreme time domain stability. Ceramic circuit board materials are used in all critical areas and the enclosure is carefully engineered to minimize electrical noise while maximizing mechanical stability. The Reference Series weighs over 40 pounds and the entire enclosure is precision machined from a a solid billet of 6061 – T aluminum alloy.

A new high output, all metal IR remote control with direct input source selection is provided with the Reference Series.

Careful consideration was given to providing the highest possible reproduction of DSD files by the Alpha DAC Reference Series. 99% of modern DAC’s, including the Alpha Reference Series use mult-bit D/A converters because they provide better performance than 1-bit converters – even those who advertise “native” DSD compatibility. So, at some point, the 1-bit DSD stream must be converted to multi-bit for all of those DAC’s.

We could, like many other manufacturers, convert 1-bit DSD to multi-bit within the Alpha DAC Reference Series and show “DSD” in the front panel display. That would be the easiest approach from a marketing perspective. But that would also mean increasing the amount of processing in the DAC during playback which would degrade audio quality, and audio quality is the reason the Alpha Reference Series exists.

Fortunately, virtually all reproduction of DSD files using external DAC’s occurs with a computer based music server as the source. If the 1-bit DSD to multi-bit conversion is done first in the computer it can be performed with extremely high precision and superior filtering that preserves all of the content of the DSD file. Computer DSD to multi-bit conversion can be at least as good as that performed in a DAC and without adding processing noise near or in the D/A converter chip. Another advantage of computer based DSD to PCM conversion is that if higher performance DSD versions such as DSD 4x appear in the future they can easily be supported with a software upgrade.

For all of those reasons, DSD capability for the Alpha DAC Reference Series is provided by an included state of the art software application that provides either real time conversion of DSD 1x and DSD 2x to 176.4 kHz 24 bit PCM during playback or conversion to 176.4 kHz 24 bit AIFF or WAV files. The software application is included in the price of the Alpha DAC Reference Series and is compatible with either Windows OS or Mac OS based music servers.

The Alpha DAC Reference Series supports 32 kHz to 192 kHz 24-bit PCM through four input; Balanced AES, Coaxial SPDIF 1, Coaxial SPDIF 2 and Toslink Optical. Independent, single-ended and true balanced analogue outputs are provided. Dimensions are 17.5 inches Wide X 12.5 inches Deep X 3.5 inches High.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Interestingly they have stuck to their guns and not included USB nor DSD (except by providing software conversion).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series

Talk about bad journalism....a picture, a totally vague statement, then a link to the Berkeley site that makes no mention of a new DAC....I would be keenly interested and have always wondered when these guys would jump into the newer DAC market having set the baseline for complete high fidelity digital for so many years.

Any one have any news?

Cheers,

WDW

Yes, this has been in the works for a very long time. I can't wait to get the review sample.

image.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yes, this has been in the works for a very long time. I can't wait to get the review sample.

Chris,

I suspect you're within that small tier of reviewers that will, or certainly should, have one of the few first review samples.

Let us know,

Regards,

Warren

I am very interested in this and the new Weiss Medus

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Thanks for posting. Those guys are no joke! Watching this closely...

Looks like they are still keeping USB external.

I'd just rock this thing with the Schiit Loki for DSD. Done.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

From Wizard High-End Audio Blog: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9183[/ATTACH]

We could, like many other manufacturers, convert 1-bit DSD to multi-bit within the Alpha DAC Reference Series and show “DSD” in the front panel display. That would be the easiest approach from a marketing perspective. But that would also mean increasing the amount of processing in the DAC during playback which would degrade audio quality, and audio quality is the reason the Alpha Reference Series exists.

Fortunately, virtually all reproduction of DSD files using external DAC’s occurs with a computer based music server as the source. If the 1-bit DSD to multi-bit conversion is done first in the computer it can be performed with extremely high precision and superior filtering that preserves all of the content of the DSD file. Computer DSD to multi-bit conversion can be at least as good as that performed in a DAC and without adding processing noise near or in the D/A converter chip. Another advantage of computer based DSD to PCM conversion is that if higher performance DSD versions such as DSD 4x appear in the future they can easily be supported with a software upgrade.

They pretty clearly took a page from Peter St's book in coupling the DAC to software specially designed for it. As with XX High End software and the Phasure NOS1 DAC, Berkeley is having the software take on a significant amount of the processing that is usually reserved for the DAC.

They pretty clearly took a page from Peter St's book in coupling the DAC to software specially designed for it. As with XX High End software and the Phasure NOS1 DAC, Berkeley is having the software take on a significant amount of the processing that is usually reserved for the DAC.

It may appear that way but that's not the case. Berkeley simply believes in converting DSD in a PC rather than in the DAC. They also prefer this takes place off line, not while listening.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Good job guys...but hoping it includes a reference USB module - need it to really do 95% of what we do, and to do the DSD. Would love to see the back and know if the USB converter is included for $14k...

Interesting that is comes has the ceramic circuit board, and comes in a bit under the EMM.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Why not let the player software do the DSD to PCM conversion by itself and avoid the extra step of the provided software. Jriver and A+ are well capable of such situations which are routine. Extra steps just get in the way and generate extra processing, along with increased ground plane activity, plus goodness knows what compatibility issues with OS updates.

PeterST is quite capable of tuning his software to his NOS DAC, could BADA offer the same ability?

DSD has demonstrated a clear ability to sound "as good as the master tapes get", conversion to PCM to comply with the philosophy of the 'Waldrep Foundation' is a commercial choice that BADA has made, surprisingly with doubling the asking price to an existing similar (on paper) design.

Plus, you need to buy a separate USB to SPDIF converter ~~~ another $2k-$10k(?) and from whom?

Expectation bias is wound up to power 11 for this one, it had better sound good, darn good.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Why not let the player software do the DSD to PCM conversion by itself and avoid the extra step of the provided software. Jriver and A+ are well capable of such situations which are routine. Extra steps just get in the way and generate extra processing, along with increased ground plane activity, plus goodness knows what compatibility issues with OS updates.

PeterST is quite capable of tuning his software to his NOS DAC, could BADA offer the same ability?

DSD has demonstrated a clear ability to sound "as good as the master tapes get", conversion to PCM to comply with the philosophy of the 'Waldrep Foundation' is a commercial choice that BADA has made, surprisingly with doubling the asking price to an existing similar (on paper) design.

Plus, you need to buy a separate USB to SPDIF converter ~~~ another $2k-$10k(?) and from whom?

Expectation bias is wound up to power 11 for this one, it had better sound good, darn good.

The player such as JRMC or A+ can convert on the fly no problem. Berkeley is just a proponent of offline processing to PCM. This means do it once and be done with it as well. Berkeley isn't going down the Peter St. Path of tuning software for its DACs. Berkeley is more in the straight up PCM but perfect clean signal camp.

Hi Chris, thanks for clearing up the conversion to PCM. Right now I am using my Mac Mini and A+ to play DSD files that I have ripped from my SACD's. They go into my BADA2 through the Berkeley USB already converted to 176/24. Sounds pretty good, but I don't have a true DSD player to compare.

If I understand correctly, the new Berkeley DAC comes with software one installs in their PC or Mac which converts the DSD files (stereo ones only I assume) to 176/24 PCM files. The new Berkeley DAC then plays those converted files. If so, if one has the software and converts the files, then one should be able to play them through a BADA2 with similar results to the new Berkeley DAC. Or am I missing something important here?

Also if the files are preconverted offline - say if I have 1TB of DSD files, looks like I will be generating another 1TB or so of 176/24 PCM files from the software. Again, am I missing something?

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

This is very interesting. They are basically saying, we don't do true 1-bit DSD, never have and never will, and 99% of manufacturers claiming they do, don't really do native DSD because they convert to multi-bit, which sounds better anyway. I guess the "1%" That does true native 1-bit DSD would be likes of EMM Labs. This must sound like a bit of heresy in the rapidly growing church of DSD converts......

It also appears they are suggesting for the 99% of multi bit DACs parading as DSD dacs (which would include my MSB), you are better off converting offline to High Rez PCM, because it offloads processing duties from the DAC. This would make eminent sense to me, and would be consistent with my experience that (on my MSB DAC anyway) DSD buys you absolutely nothing high rez PCM cannot deliver.

Not sure how much their off-line DSD to PCM converter improves over the (expensive) pro audio top dogs like Weiss Saracon, or the (near) freebees like Jriver.

I posted about this over on WB, and initially thought it to be a weird stance. But after sleeping on it...their stance is quite transparent and refreshing. I'm not sure where they get off completely discounting the 1-bit guys, but oh well. :) And like Erik, I too have had great luck lately doing DSD-to-PCM conversion for those DACs that have PCM sweetspots.

The rumor is that Berkeley's software is an included copy of JRiver. However, JRIver currently only does DSD-to-PCM offline into 24/352.8K.

Hi Chris, thanks for clearing up the conversion to PCM. Right now I am using my Mac Mini and A+ to play DSD files that I have ripped from my SACD's. They go into my BADA2 through the Berkeley USB already converted to 176/24. Sounds pretty good, but I don't have a true DSD player to compare.

If I understand correctly, the new Berkeley DAC comes with software one installs in their PC or Mac which converts the DSD files (stereo ones only I assume) to 176/24 PCM files. The new Berkeley DAC then plays those converted files. If so, if one has the software and converts the files, then one should be able to play them through a BADA2 with similar results to the new Berkeley DAC. Or am I missing something important here?

Also if the files are preconverted offline - say if I have 1TB of DSD files, looks like I will be generating another 1TB or so of 176/24 PCM files from the software. Again, am I missing something?

Thanks, Larry

HI Larry - Good questions. You and most people are over thinking this one. Berkeley simply recommends converting DSD to PCM offline. To do this Berkeley is including software that will do the conversion just so its customers can convert if needed. The converted files won't be anything special, but may sound different based on the math used by the conversion app.

What you are doing now, DSD to PCM with A+, will work identically on the Alpha Reference Series.

People will need to do some offline conversion and some real time conversion to see if they hear a difference or to see if the like the sound of one over the other. Also, the software converters will be different.

This would make eminent sense to me, and would be consistent with my experience that (on my MSB DAC anyway) DSD buys you absolutely nothing high rez PCM cannot deliver.

I don't know (never listened) to MSB, but please try Playback Designs and the 'deliver' could change your mind, or even the Lampizator DSD only (at a lesser price).

I believe Berkeley is a good company, but a PCM company too, since their famous ADC converter & recordings.

Asking you to convert by software DSD to PCM is, to me, some kind of joke, if they merchandise his new product as a DSD capable DAC.

If I like blondes, I would like a real, not a brunette with dyed hair.

Just my opinion,

Roch

I don't know (never listened) to MSB, but please try Playback Designs and the 'deliver' could change your mind, or even the Lampizator DSD only (at a lesser price).

I believe Berkeley is a good company, but a PCM company too, since their famous ADC converter & recordings.

Asking you to convert by software DSD to PCM is, to me, some kind of joke, if they merchandise his new product as a DSD capable DAC.

If I like blondes, I would like a real, not a brunette with dyed hair.

Just my opinion,

Roch

I suspect the Playback Designs along with EMM labs is part of the 1% DACs with true 1 bit architectures, and 1% should really be 5% (BADA marketing getting carried away a bit).

Hi Roch - There will never be a consensus on the best way to play DSD, that's for sure. However, the engineering and technical reasons for converting to PCM outside the DAC have a lot of merit.

John Stronczer of Bel Canto has some solid reasoning for converting to PCM outside the DAC as well. Here is a link to his PDF - > http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/Optimal_DSD_Playback.pdf

I still haven't selected a side yet and don't know if I will. Every DAC may be different.

I suspect the Playback Designs along with EMM labs is part of the 1% DACs with true 1 bit architectures, and 1% should really be 5% (BADA marketing getting carried away a bit).

I'm interested in the correct percentage. I'm willing to bet it's closer to 0.05% of DACs have a true 1 bit architecture. Maybe a thread discussing true 1 bit DACs is in order?