IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

On 24/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, Bob Stern said:

He consistently avoids big climaxes and grandeur.

Otherwise, he doesn’t seem to have a point of view, since his eccentricities vary within a single performance.  Sometimes his phrases are clipped (Sym 9: I) or spastic bursts (Sym 9: IV).  Other times he's simply dull with no phrasing at all (Sym 9: III; Sym 5).

For Sym 4, my notes are:  I. Sforzandi exaggerated but OK;  II. Graceless.

It is interesting and helpful that you've expressed this. I felt that quite a few things sounded strange, some perhaps wrong, but I don't have enough knowledge to identify those shortcomings. Your post clears things up a bit.

Thanks.

I think that my favourite 9th is probably Fricsay's old DG recording. Or is it Wand's for RCA?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

14 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

@Jud:  How are you enjoying your new house?  Have you finished moving your furniture and unpacking your tchochkes?

Our stuff arrived late (a week ago yesterday).  This postponed other things, like internet and TV service.

So we are unboxing the last of what my wife considers essential, which so far has not included the audio system. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

So we are unboxing the last of what my wife considers essential

Hopefully, that includes you!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Hopefully, that includes you!

She needs someone to do the grunt work!  :D

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This one is interesting, just out freshly. Not that I don't have enough versions of Rach 2&3, and recently there hasn't been a shortage of new recordings, but still:

http://www.eclassical.com/performers/sudbin-yevgeny/rachmaninov-piano-concertos-nos-2-3.html

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Holmboe 1/2 price today.

If you're interested in trying another of the Scandinavian composers BIS is known for, Holmboe's 8th symphony is a good place to start.  Similar to the more upbeat, energetic pieces of Shostakovich, but clearly Scandinavian.  (Although the 2nd movement seems pointlessly noisy.)  If you want to sample it before buying, I suggest the last two movements.

The 9th symphony, composed 18 years later, is OK but less inspired.  BIS allows you to buy individual tracks instead of the entire album.

My favorite Holmboe symphony is the 6th, which reminds me of Nielsen.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Prokofiev's Quintet, Op 39, for oboe, clarinet, violin, viola and double bass (1924) is a very nice 23-minute piece in the style of his ballet Romeo & Juliet.  Well worth $1.60!

(I'd skip the other pieces on the album.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, semente said:

I'm conflicted - love Fröst, not much on Mozart ( ? - I know, I know).

39 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm conflicted - love Fröst, not much on Mozart ( ? - I know, I know).

Don't feel bad, I also prefer the Romantic Period and Early 20th Century music but the Clarinet Concerto is a very beautiful piece.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 1 month later...

The Saint-Saens piano concerto called Africa is superb.  It's only one 11-minute movement.  80 cents today, although still a good deal for $1.60 if you miss the half price sale that ends in about 2 hours.

(The symphonies are nondescript; I only recommend the concerto.)

http://www.eclassical.com/saint-saens-camille-1/saint-saens-africa.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I just purchased the brand new release of the Death and the Maiden by the Chiaroscuro quartet for only $9, in 24/96. 

A true bargain.

OK, it's not that I'm lacking versions of Schubert's D810 (this will be number 9, with tough competition like the Takacs or Pavel Haas) but I just like Ibragimova very much, and the very particular sound of the Chiaroscuro, playing on gut strings.

I only listened to the first minute before clicking on buy, so you may want to make up your own mind, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5028030-origpic-83577d.jpg

http://www.eclassical.com/schubert-death-and-the-maiden.html

By the way, I love Robert von Bahr’s (BIS) quote introducing this album:

It sounds just like Schubert would have heard it, had he had such a good quartet at his disposal, which is very unlikely.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...