IGNORED

Expectation

Created an Unraid NAS with 4 tb drive. Will add two more drives in near future one for data and one as a parity disc.

Music streams fine to a caps 1 music server. No stops, clicks or pauses, etc. Can do 2 zones simultaneously. No issues

I tried streaming a movie to a pc with VLC as movie player and this was a total no go. Pauses, delays, pixelization, etc.

This is not a big issue for me as I did not intend to put videos on this server.

But, just out of interest, would others have expected this to work with movies or not?

Thanks and have a nice day

I don’t know VLC but one place to look for problems would be to look at your network infrastructure. Wireless can cause problems. If you are crossing a wireless network try with a cat5 or cat6 instead see if it makes a difference. If wire works better then you need a better wireless plan.

Another question is how is your NAS connected? Are you using an Ethernet connection or USB? You might want to test through put on your NAS to see if it is fast enough.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I would have expected it to work easily ... but what format is the movie?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The screenshots and details are for VLC v2.0.5 on Mac.

Step one: Bring up the VLC preferences dialog, it will look like this:

VLCprefs1.jpg

Choose "Show All" at the bottom left.

The dialog will change to this:

VLCprefs.jpg

With "Input / Codecs" selected, scroll down until you see "Network caching (ms)"

Increase the value - as you can see mine is set to 1000, but there is plenty of leeway for a higher number.

Try playing the video again. The Network caching determines the preload delay before playback starts. Higher number means a longer delay but will reduce stuttering. If you still get stuttering, rinse and repeat.

Are you running VLC on the UnaRaid server or on the Caps V1.

I do not believe the Unraid server or the CapsV1 have the cpu power to act as a video player

I was able to stream 1080P HD Blu Ray rips with DTS-HD Master audio from a HP Media Smart Server to JRiver on a Toshiba laptop without any problems. I know Unraid is faster than the WHS.

Are you running VLC on the UnaRaid server or on the Caps V1.

I do not believe the Unraid server or the CapsV1 have the cpu power to act as a video player

I was able to stream 1080P HD Blu Ray rips with DTS-HD Master audio from a HP Media Smart Server to JRiver on a Toshiba laptop without any problems. I know Unraid is faster than the WHS.

I missed that the OP was using the CAPS V1. I wouldn't expect the old Atom processor to have the power for most video without a good graphics solution (Crystal HD Mini-PCIe card or an Atom/ION board).

I think you may have hit the nail on the head - the issue is the CAPS not the network.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I missed that the OP was using the CAPS V1. I wouldn't expect the old Atom processor to have the power for most video without a good graphics solution (Crystal HD Mini-PCIe card or an Atom/ION board).

I think you may have hit the nail on the head - the issue is the CAPS not the network.

Eloise

Actually VLC was on a Macbook 2008, made into a Windows machine, 4 GB memory, Win 7 - not the CAPS1 machine

Not really sure what I am measuring (saw this on the UNRAID web site), but pinging the NAS device from the Macbook as a Windows machine gave a time of < 1ms and Approx round time of 0ms

Copying data is typically at about 10MB/sec (on the website I see speeds of 40-50)

Easy to do, pretty cheap particularly if have one has an old pc doorstop about. (Used a Dell Vostro 220 with 4 gb memory. ) Pretty easy to configure. Have added a second 4tb drive and will add a 4 tb parity drive. Friend built similar machine without issues( so far anyway)

Movies are problematic so far but this is music only server. I am mainly irritated re movies not working.

Total cost is that of 3 drives plus a 4 gb USB drive for the os for 8tb data storage total

Currently listening to high Rez music and copying data to device simultaneously - no issues, hiccoughs or delays.

My error...

PC I was using for VLC to play was a year old dell. I suspect it is problem as

Using my Western Digital Media players, I am able to

stream same movies from server without issue

While copying gigabytes of data to server

And playing high resolution music simultaneously

So, issue seems to be old pc as player, not NAS Device