IGNORED

Best new Hi-Rez Download 2013.

The end of the year is near.

What was your top 3 best Hi Rez Download purchases in 2013,and where did you buy/download them?

And why are those three your top picks.

My top 3:

1. Carmen Gomes Inc.''Thousand Shades of Blue''

Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

2. Doug Macleod.''There's a Time''

There's A Time | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

3.Keith Jarrett.''Somewhere''

Somewhere (Live In Lucerne / 2009) - Top 25 Jazz Albums | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

To my own surprise, after careful listening, I do place both the Carmen Gomes as well as the Dough Macleod album above the absolutely excellent Keith Jarrett ECM album.

Maybe it is the surprise that 2 relatively small labels,Reference Recordings and Sound Liaison, can produce such great albums,sound quality wise,that influence that decision.

Musically the albums are very different:

Macleod continuous the acoustic blues tradition with tales of modern life or life as he sees it.

Gomes mixes up Jazz and Pop tunes with beautiful originals in a surprisingly fresh and unique blend of the different genres: jazz,blues,pop and world music,and what a voice!

Jarrett's trio is in top form,keeping the Jazz piano trio alive,telepathic musical communication.

All of the musicians are masters in their own right,and that btw. is a big contribution to the excellent sound of these albums,we are talking real musical instruments here.

All three albums has sound wise a lot in common, in that they are all live or at least one room recordings with no possibility for overdubs.And they all have that ''gel'' to the sound that is missing from so many of the modern recordings.

The Jarrett album was recorded live in a concert hall in Lucerne,

the Macleod at the stage in George Lucas' studio with no bass,vocal or drum both,''just 3 musicians playing as if doing a gig.''

and Carmen Gomes in the legendary studio 11, in the Netherlands, in front of a small audience, no head phones, and the musicians playing very quiet in order to hear each other.

SSS1%20Milan%20300.pngHD00602527663708_185.jpgHX030911413026_185.jpg

The end of the year is near.

What was your top 3 best Hi Rez Download purchases in 2013,and where did you buy/download them?

And why are those three your top picks.

My top 3:

1. Carmen Gomes Inc.''Thousand Shades of Blue''

Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

2. Doug Macleod.''There's a Time''

There's A Time | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

3.Keith Jarrett.''Somewhere''

Somewhere (Live In Lucerne / 2009) - Top 25 Jazz Albums | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

To my own surprise, after careful listening, I do place both the Carmen Gomes as well as the Dough Macleod album above the absolutely excellent Keith Jarrett ECM album.

Maybe it is the surprise that 2 relatively small labels,Reference Recordings and Sound Liaison, can produce such great albums,sound quality wise,that influence that decision.

Musically the albums are very different:

Macleod continuous the acoustic blues tradition with tales of modern life or life as he sees it.

Gomes mixes up Jazz and Pop tunes with beautiful originals in a surprisingly fresh and unique blend of the different genres: jazz,blues,pop and world music,and what a voice!

Jarrett's trio is in top form,keeping the Jazz piano trio alive,telepathic musical communication.

All of the musicians are masters in their own right,and that btw. is a big contribution to the excellent sound of these albums,we are talking real musical instruments here.

All three albums has sound wise a lot in common, in that they are all live or at least one room recordings with no possibility for overdubs.And they all have that ''gel'' to the sound that is missing from so many of the modern recordings.

The Jarrett album was recorded live in a concert hall in Lucerne,

the Macleod at the stage in George Lucas' studio with no bass,vocal or drum both,''just 3 musicians playing as if doing a gig.''

and Carmen Gomes in the legendary studio 11, in the Netherlands, in front of a small audience, no head phones, and the musicians playing very quiet in order to hear each other.

SSS1%20Milan%20300.pngHD00602527663708_185.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]9011[/ATTACH]

Have to agree with you on Jarret and Carmen. I don't own the Dough one. The only issue with Sound Liaison is the WAV only thing and poor metadata and booklet information. I use Aiff, so converting wav to Aiff, is the same thing, same file size. They could offer at least an Aiff option. Anyway both great recordings.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

Hmmm. I really like the last three really well all from HD Tracks.

• Miles Davis Kind of Blue
  • Van Morrison Moondance
  • Muddy Waters Folksinger

But I have also had several others that intrigued me specifically the Chesky Binaural Plus from Wycliffe Gordon, Amber Rubarth and C.C. Colletti

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

But I have also had several others that intrigued me specifically the Chesky Binaural Plus from Wycliffe Gordon, Amber Rubarth and C.C. Colletti

I love all three of these. Well worth the money.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Have to agree with you on Jarret and Carmen. I don't own the Dough one. The only issue with Sound Liaison is the WAV only thing and poor metadata and booklet information. I use Aiff, so converting wav to Aiff, is the same thing, same file size. They could offer at least an Aiff option. Anyway both great recordings.

I don't mind the WAV only files from Sound Liaison.They seem to be a pretty idealistic company.They insist that their files are ''one to copies of the master file with no conversion of any kind''so that is the reason for the wav only.And to my knowledge you can't supply booklet info with Wav.But I agree superb sounding albums indeed.

I have made mp3 256 copies of my Sound Liaison files for my smart phone.Taken the covers from the website and got all the info I need of Carmen Gomes and Poul Berner via google.

But maybe since it seems that Sound Liaison is the newcomer of the year they could need some costumer feed back.

I for one should like to see an interview or such with Carmen on their site,and more pictures of the recording progress and of Carmen Gomes!!!

mw6g.pnghqdefault.jpg

I don't mind the WAV only files from Sound Liaison.They seem to be a pretty idealistic company.They insist that their files are ''one to copies of the master file with no conversion of any kind''so that is the reason for the wav only.And to my knowledge you can't supply booklet info with Wav.But I agree superb sounding albums indeed.

I have made mp3 256 copies of my Sound Liaison files for my smart phone.Taken the covers from the website and got all the info I need of Carmen Gomes and Poul Berner via google.

But maybe since it seems that Sound Liaison is the newcomer of the year they could need some costumer feed back.

I for one should like to see an interview or such with Carmen on their site,and more pictures of the recording progress and of Carmen Gomes!!!

mw6g.png[ATTACH=CONFIG]9098[/ATTACH]

Hi christian, sorry but when i said booklet i meant to say a pdf with the info you also would like to have like an interview, photos etc...

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.