I wasn't sure whether to post this in the networking or music server section, as it involves both, but I am looking for a solution to allow me to:

• Store music files on a network, to be managed by an iMac that will not be in the audio chain.
    • Media management preference is iTunes+Audirvana or JRiver for mac
      • I would like to keep multiple libraries (one for me, one for my wife, maybe one that includes holiday songs)

[*]If management is by JRiver, I want libraries to sync between JRiver and iTunes, so I can still add music to iDevices using iTunes

[*]Storage can be by NAS or PC server + external attached storage

[*]Files must be able to be accessed by at least one main room media renderer of some sort (either a custom PC, Mac Mini, or audio company built network streamer) - perhaps more rooms later.

• I do not want to have to turn on the media management computer.

[*] Files also need to be accessed over network by an iphone to pass along to portable DAC/headphone amp(s).

• in hi res formats

[*]Control of playback should be easy through iPhone and/or iPad.

Any advice? Soundwise, I am unsure of whether to money is better invested in a network streamer with built-in DAC, or a cheaper network streamer (or perhaps a Mac Mini) and a higher end DAC. Setup wise, I am lost. Thanks!

Edit: To aid in any device recommendations, I am using a Prima Luna Dialogue Two integrated AMP and will likely be upgrading my NHT Classic Three speakers to Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PSB Imagine T2, GoldenEar Triton Two, or Nola Contenders pending demos next weekend. For my digital source, I am currently using a Wadia 170i iDevice Transport and Cambridge DacMagic DAC, which doesn't sound that good and is not convenient - hence this thread!

• 2 months later...
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the networking or music server section, as it involves both, but I am looking for a solution to allow me to:

• Store music files on a network, to be managed by an iMac that will not be in the audio chain.
    • Media management preference is iTunes+Audirvana or JRiver for mac
      • I would like to keep multiple libraries (one for me, one for my wife, maybe one that includes holiday songs)

[*]If management is by JRiver, I want libraries to sync between JRiver and iTunes, so I can still add music to iDevices using iTunes

[*]Storage can be by NAS or PC server + external attached storage

[*]Files must be able to be accessed by at least one main room media renderer of some sort (either a custom PC, Mac Mini, or audio company built network streamer) - perhaps more rooms later.

• I do not want to have to turn on the media management computer.

[*] Files also need to be accessed over network by an iphone to pass along to portable DAC/headphone amp(s).

• in hi res formats

[*]Control of playback should be easy through iPhone and/or iPad.

Any advice? Soundwise, I am unsure of whether to money is better invested in a network streamer with built-in DAC, or a cheaper network streamer (or perhaps a Mac Mini) and a higher end DAC. Setup wise, I am lost. Thanks!

Edit: To aid in any device recommendations, I am using a Prima Luna Dialogue Two integrated AMP and will likely be upgrading my NHT Classic Three speakers to Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PSB Imagine T2, GoldenEar Triton Two, or Nola Contenders pending demos next weekend. For my digital source, I am currently using a Wadia 170i iDevice Transport and Cambridge DacMagic DAC, which doesn't sound that good and is not convenient - hence this thread!

Did you ever get your system set up? You are in a similar situation that I am currently in. I am using a Mac mini direct connected to a Stello U3 to a Bryston DAC (soon to be replaced). All my music is currently stored on my Mac mini and I use Audirvana Plus as my interface with iTunes running in the background. I am looking to move to a NAS server system where my music will be readily available on all my devices and perhaps getting something like Simaudio's MIND 180 streamer or equivalent. It was suggested to me to use a QNAP NAS RAID 5 server and change my router out to a Linksys Smart AC1600 Router, but that is about all I know so far. I could use advice on what NAS to use (is above one necessary), but I also require assistance with setup.

My other gear in this system consists of a Simaudio Supernova CDP, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo sub amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers and DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 processor.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.