IGNORED

Computer Audio Design OSX Audio Optimization Script

Oops, I guess I am a version behind, does 1.2 also restore access to network?

Barr

p.s. I might be willing to part with my Acoustic Revive if you want to try it for a week, PM me....it would be available after Xmas.

Hi Barr:

No, 1.2 does not restore network access, hence my recent posts to Scott. But it does leave Screen Sharing active.

I will PM you tomorrow as you loan offer is of great interest. I'm also wondering where in NorCal you are located.

Goodnight,

ALEX

Hi bplexico,

Check post #47 for mored details as...

There are two more daemons that seem to be related to Remote Desktop. Try turning those back on and see if that helps.

System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.RFBEventHelper.plist 2>/dev/null

System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy.plist 2>/dev/null

Traz: For me, 1.2 restored remote desktop (actually, for whatever reason, I use Remote Management instead of Screen Sharing, thought it is essentially the same thing and probably uses the same resources and code). I think bplexico's problem is that he was still on version 1.0 of the script.

Right now, I am just waiting for the edits to restore LAN volume access and local file write privileges. Please tell me if you know what script lines should be commented-out to restore those functions. I guess I am kind of surprised it works okay for you as-is, but given your knowledge level, I suspect you have edited it heavily anyway.

Regards,

ALEX

I cannot access friend's computers through iCloud. Back to my Mac doesn't work

Local write privileges doesn't work also.

Both of these are basic features that should work.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

I use scary nebulous unknown stuff in the terminal. Except I use iTerm, so I can customize what appears in the title bars and tabs. And if that isn't flat-earth enough, I use zsh instead of bash, and load about 2 MB worth of shell customizations upon startup, and I have about 5 GB worth of nebulous unix software ready to be activated with a few key strokes and tab completion

Sounds dangerous. That nebulous stuff may contain a black hole that will suck up and obliterate your computer, maybe even your whole neighborhood.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

If you want to see what the system is running and your own user account is running, you can do this:

sudo launchctl list

and this, respectively,

launchctl list

LaunchControl ($10, honor system) is nice GUI application to do the same thing:

soma-zone: LaunchControl

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks Bob! That's a very handy app. Bill may like typing terminal commands but I sure don't. Plus this app centralizes examination and control of daemons. Beats having to look at long lists or watch in Activity Monitor to see which are active--and then manually disabling and testing.

Best,

ALEX

Ran the script but said no to unloading daemons. This still stops Spotlight, Time Machine, etc., but doesn't cause the problems with running my RAMdisk script.

I really like the sound quality, and look forward to further iterations.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Do you use it? Works OK? Does it revert back to original settings when you reboot?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Do you use it? Works OK? Does it revert back to original settings when you reboot?

I've been playing with it for about an hour, and after carefully unloading a bunch of daemons, noting in Activity Monitor the reduction in active processes and threads, I rebooted--only to discover that the unloads are not permanent!

That's too bad, because I thought it was going to be a good tool to pick and choose as many as possible of the CAD Script daemon unloads as I could get away with without breaking functionality, since LaunchControl does allow for instant unload/load.

I still may sit with the CAD list and LaunchControl, and when I find the offending commands (which disable access to my network drives and also keep me from opening files on my boot volume), I'll make note and then comment out or delete those lines from the script.

Unless someone else has some better ideas. I know there are some UNIX and OS X experts out there.

Maybe I should just be patient and wait for Scott at CAD to release a new version. I certainly have other things to play with (and work I should be doing!).

Ciao,

Alex

Maybe I should just be patient and wait for Scott at CAD to release a new version. I certainly have other things to play with (and work I should be doing!).

Ciao,

Alex

We are working on it and the hope is to have something out later this week. Thanks for all the feedback. I did not know about LaunchControl, great app!

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

We are working on it and the hope is to have something out later this week. Thanks for all the feedback. I did not know about LaunchControl, great app!

Scott

thank you, I'm looking forward to using it. I used bits of your scripts (I'm down to 99 processes) as I could understand some lines (i.e., I use your gui optimisation but for the desktop since I like to monitor my login script (unmounts ssd, creates ram disks, opens A+ from 1...). BTW, applying your script retrieved the authorization to run mine. If I may ask for something personal : a y/n option to disable wifi. It's not just a matter of turning it back on manually : after running your script i lost access. BTW, I hear many things, endianness included, but I never heard an impact of turning off wifi on my MBPR nor the Time Capsule (and here I store my music, an option I highly recommend, so I rely on it...) Thanks

I've been playing with it for about an hour, and after carefully unloading a bunch of daemons, noting in Activity Monitor the reduction in active processes and threads, I rebooted--only to discover that the unloads are not permanent!

That's too bad, because I thought it was going to be a good tool to pick and choose as many as possible of the CAD Script daemon unloads as I could get away with without breaking functionality, since LaunchControl does allow for instant unload/load.

I still may sit with the CAD list and LaunchControl, and when I find the offending commands (which disable access to my network drives and also keep me from opening files on my boot volume), I'll make note and then comment out or delete those lines from the script.

Unless someone else has some better ideas. I know there are some UNIX and OS X experts out there.

Ciao,

Alex

A+ triggers the spinning wheel a lot since I trimmed os x... I had an idea : uncheck all optimizations for A+ that has become redundant (i don't have iTunes on the sd card, spotlight has been termina(l)ted...). I got an awful dirty sound and then wondered if A+ hand checks or what have you some processes we are terminating and if it was all so good... SuperDad : have you checked with Damien P or encountered the same phenomena ? it might be specific but...

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your feedback. We have today made available v1.2.1 of the script which addresses the following issues:

- prompt for wifi to be turned off

- disk journaling turns off in the correct place, then back on again

- fixed issue where bluetooth keyboard/mouse would stop working

- fixed issue where applications wouldn't launch

- fixed issue where you could browse your network but not connect to devices

- fixed permission problem copying files over network

- fixed jittery bluetooth trackpad problem

- bluetooth no longer switches off at all.

There is still much to be added to the script and it's still very early days. Please let us know how you get on.

** Please note. If your system is currently in a state whereby you have run the Optimize script but not the Reset script, please run the Reset script for that version of the script BEFORE running the new 1.2.1 version. **

The reason for this is just that the latest reset script has some commands removed from it.

The same warning as before obviously still applies - please backup your system before running these scripts.

The script is available from the Computer Audio Design website and can be downloaded here: Computer Audio Design » OSX Audio Optimization

Best Sound of Show winner – 2013 Bristol, UK Sound & Vision Show

CAD USB Cable, 30 day trial - Available NOW

Come see us at the Munich High End Show, Atrium 4, F215

May I repeat a suggestion? READ the shell script. Don't run stuff blindly, especially if it is stuff that requires "admin" priviledges to access the system files. Use google or something to find out what each command does, and then decide whether to run that command or not. You can cut and paste each line you want and run it in Terminal.app, or you can comment out the lines you don't want by putting a # in the very first column of the line.

thank you CAD ; i have reached all time lows without drawbacks : 96 processes (vs 85 but with drawbacks with the preceding iteration of your script) 390 threads and 99.82 cpu idling percent.

My slightly optimized ssd scores about 150 processes, trimming osx on a sd card + mojo audio optimizations led to a score of 110, my adaptation of your previous script brought the score to 99. Hence I can't say I hear a better SQ (actually I slightly preferred the tracks i listened to tonight this morning ; but it's well in my physiological state variations range). I kept some options for confort (i.e. monitor shutdown and mission control for i like to pad click and push the arrow in one corner to turn my screen all black) : some might report better scores.

For anyone who will go from 150+ processes to 96, this script should bring a substantial sq improvement ; thanks again

May I repeat a suggestion? READ the shell script. Don't run stuff blindly, especially if it is stuff that requires "admin" priviledges to access the system files. Use google or something to find out what each command does, and then decide whether to run that command or not. You can cut and paste each line you want and run it in Terminal.app, or you can comment out the lines you don't want by putting a # in the very first column of the line.

That sounds like work.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That sounds like work.

For some of us, LITERALLY sounds like work LOL

I don't want to think about code or programming after hours ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

None of the problems I experienced with the prior script, and liking the sound I'm getting from my system. On "Rich Woman," the first track from Raising Sand, there's a sequence of three loud tom strikes near the beginning that was just scary real and good.

Exciting prospect - thanks so much for bringing this to us - for free, no less :-)

I tried the latest version today, but limitations meant I couldn't test it. With audiop. It did reduce processes from about 129 down to 106.

Even keeping launch daemons and wifi on, I was not able to use it. Is there a way I can regain control of these two apps?

- Splashtop

- SSD Fan Control

if not, might it be possible to make it possible to use these apps in the next version?

I'd be most obliged! :-)

it would be cool if Damien was able to integrate these into A+'s optimisations.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Could you please make iCloud (i.e. Back to My Mac) an Option. I maintain a bunch of computers for people in the local club and this is the only way I can do t.

Thanks,

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

None of the problems I experienced with the prior script, and liking the sound I'm getting from my system. On "Rich Woman," the first track from Raising Sand, there's a sequence of three loud tom strikes near the beginning that was just scary real and good.

Great glad to hear it!

Scott

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production