IGNORED

UPNP Trouble with Verizon FIOS Actiontec router - Anyone else having issues?

Greetings,

I have an Actiontec router from Verizon Fios. It is very buggy with UPNP devices as well as other network devices.

Anyone else have issues, or is it just me?

I'm having trouble with my Sonore Rendu (just checked by them, and its working fine) as well as with printers and NAS drives. They work sometimes, but then I need to reboot, clear out the DNS table, etc etc to get them up again.

I'm about to go down the route of getting my own router, but its some extra work and cost I'd rather avoid.

Any hints, or should I just dump their router?

Many thanks,

Matt

Thanks Chris. I've already tried both adding a switch and resetting the router (firmware is up to date). I have a Cisco SG 300 Switch. Any settings on the switch which could further insulate the traffic from the router?

Some people online suggest turning off the IGMP proxy on the router, which I've tried. This helped for a bit, then stopped. I'd be less suspicious if I didn't have similar issues with my network printer and my Vortexbox falling off the network.

My other options are to ask Verizon to run my own router, for which I could use:

- my existing Airport Extreme. Any feedback on this as a router?

- a new router... Suggestions for a solid router? I don't need lots of ports or wireless.

Many thanks,

Matt

Just a few generic questions to better understand...

I tried just looking up an Actiontec router (Verizon FiOS Router - MI424WR for Verizon FiOS ), not sure what model you have, but in the manual there's a section about enabling UPnP settings- is there anything like that on your router? Can you provide the model number?

There's also some sort of security logging capability for many events crossing your network in the router, have you tried enabling those items and see if any particular "failures" or violations seem to come up? I saw something about that on page 90 of the manual linked above.

Theoretically, with the switch in the loop and assuming all of your devices are on the same IP subnet (same generic 192.168.x.x address), none of your traffic between your PC and the Rendu should even be hitting the router at all, as Chris suggested above. It might be worth it just to completely eliminate any of the "source devices" if you could disconnect the switch entirely from the router and see if you have normal operations just using the switch as a bridge between your devices.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

On further investigation, this seems to be caused by playing some particular files - it seems isolated to Janos Starker's Bach Cello Suites from HD Tracks and *all* of the LSO albums from B&W Society of Sound. The Starker is 176/24, but I have no trouble playing other hi res tracks.

Jesus is looking into it on the Rendu side, though he can play the Starker fine on his set up. I'm serving the files with a VortexBox using LMS as the UPNP server.

Anyone encountered this before? Its starting to feel like its the VortexBox / LMS

There are quite many routers on the market that have trouble forwarding multicast between WIFI and LAN. My AirportExpress is one example, and I know about cable modem routers that have similar issues...
Ironic that the AE has problems forwarding multicast, as I believe AirPlay also requires it via the Bonjour protocol!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks - glad I'm not alone. Verizon now has an option of using your own router, which I may still try. Though, I'm now wondering about my VortexBox hardware. I'm using a 2-3 year old "appliance" from Small Green Computer. I just got a stutter/skip today from another hi res track that's never given me any issues.

Ironic that the AE has problems forwarding multicast, as I believe AirPlay also requires it via the Bonjour protocol!

It's something funny, because the problem seems to apply mostly to just UPnP, but not all multicasts. Wireshark clearly shows that UPnP doesn't come through... Works wifi-to-wifi though and and also the internal AirPlay of course works fine from wifi. But I have not tried if it would work from wifi to another AirPlay located somewhere on the LAN side. I have another AP serving 5 GHz band and UPnP works just fine through that one.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

There is a simple way to isolate things with a Mac computer. I would not try this on a PC because it will take you an hour to figure out how to undo it....I just works on a Mac:)

Note: This post is not intended to substitute email tech support and is only intended as an example. Please continue to email me for tech support.

These steps will isolate playback from the network and send streams directly from a Mac computer running J River to the Rendu. I suggest starting with files stored on the Mac and then moving to files from local DLNA servers. If your Mac does not have an ethernet port you will need a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

Step 1 - Connect the Mac via WiFi to your wireless router. J River needs internet access or will crash on boot.

Step 2 - Connect the Rendu directly to the Mac via Ethernet cable.

Step 3 - Power up the Rendu.

Step 4 - Open J River and select the Rendu as usual under Playing Now.

Also, verify these settings match in J River:

Sonore-JRiver-Setup.png

Jesus R