IGNORED

Should I buy a Musical Fidelity V-link 192 now that it is discontinued?

I am looking for a good asynchronous USB To SPDIF Converter up to 24/192

As I was looking at the manufacturers site for Musical Fidelity V-link 192 I found that it is discontinued.

It is still for sale by Amazon for around $200,-

Three questions:

1.: is the technology in this converter outdated or not very good?

2.: Will it be wise to buy it now that it is cheap or shall I look further?

3.: is there a XMOS chip inside? ( I have read good reviews of this chip)

I am looking for a good asynchronous USB To SPDIF Converter up to 24/192

As I was looking at the manufacturers site for Musical Fidelity V-link 192 I found that it is discontinued.

It is still for sale by Amazon for around $200,-

Three questions:

1.: is the technology in this converter outdated or not very good?

2.: Will it be wise to buy it now that it is cheap or shall I look further?

3.: is there a XMOS chip inside? ( I have read good reviews of this chip)

I suspect that these are discontinued simply because the newer DACs all support USB 2.0/192kHz, making this device pretty much redundant.

I own one, and it was a worthwhile addition to my system. You could spend more, but, for the price, I think it was money well spent.

A good digital coax cable will help it perform at its best. I was using a Canare LV-77S (about $35), and upgraded to a Black Cat Silverstar 75 ($150), which made a noticeable improvement.

Thank you for your advice.

I have just bought one from Amazon.

It had very good reviews and it may not be the top of the bill but for this price I think it is a very good deal.

It will be well after Christmas before I can install it. I hope that the difference in sound will be well noticeable.

I have no information; but I suspect it has been discontinued as part of Musical Fidelity's ending of the V series line in favour of the V90 series...

I suspect that these are discontinued simply because the newer DACs all support USB 2.0/192kHz, making this device pretty much redundant.

I own one, and it was a worthwhile addition to my system. You could spend more, but, for the price, I think it was money well spent.

A good digital coax cable will help it perform at its best. I was using a Canare LV-77S (about $35), and upgraded to a Black Cat Silverstar 75 ($150), which made a noticeable improvement.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Before you pull the trigger recommend looking at the Bel Canto MLink currently on sale for 188 dollars at Dedicated Audio. I just ordered one. Dedicated Audio - Bel Canto mLink - USB to SPIDF BNC/RCA Converter

Ismael

As you can see, I have already made a decision.

All these choices are too hard for a non-technician to make. I have not found one conclusive comparison between these converters. So it all comes to what you can hear. I am not in a position to compare at least two before I buy.

So I rely on the reviews and they all seem to make a difference. That must be enough for me then.

I expect to be happy with my purchase.

Thanks again for your advice Mealob. I appriciate it.