IGNORED

Ayre QA-9 DSD Pro.. How do you connect it to a Mac Mini?

TRTim

First of all I must say I love DSD. I have over 200 albums in DSD on my computer, so I am committed (in more ways the one) to the format. Currently I use a Korg MR-2000 to record DSD from my LPs. It is good, but I think the Ayre recording DAC would be an improvement. My question is how do you get the BNC s/pdif connectors from the Ayre QA-9 pro recording DSD into the computer to record it. It seems all the computer interfaces max out at 192 and don't support DSD. I also know the interface would need to support an external word clock. I am using a new Mac Mini to capture the music. Thanks.

First of all I must say I love DSD. I have over 200 albums in DSD on my computer, so I am committed (in more ways the one) to the format. Currently I use a Korg MR-2000 to record DSD from my LPs. It is good, but I think the Ayre recording DAC would be an improvement. My question is how do you get the BNC s/pdif connectors from the Ayre QA-9 pro recording DSD into the computer to record it. It seems all the computer interfaces max out at 192 and don't support DSD. I also know the interface would need to support an external word clock. I am using a new Mac Mini to capture the music. Thanks.

Trust the KORG and copy the DSDs to the computer for playback. Adjust the metadata with Audiogate. The A/D in the Korg is very good.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

If I recall correctly: to output DSD from the QA-9 currently requires the use of the DSD output board using SDIF-2 (not SPDIF). This would need a profession audio card such as Merging or connection to a recorder such as Tascam (I don't think the MR2000 has a SDIF-2 input).

I believe Charles Hansen has commented they plan to implement DSD over PCM in the future to allow DSD to be easily recorded to a computer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

So could I use a TASCAM DA 3000 as the recorder through the SDIF-3 input using an external word clock?

I believe so yes. Connect the QA-9 to the SDIF-3 plus Word Clock inputs of the TASCAM. Then transfer from the TASCAM to your Mac via USB.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I must be missing something! Why wouldn't you just record direct to the Tascam in the first place?

(Incidentally, does anyone know how good the DA3000 is?)

Edit: To answer my own question, I suppose because you want the AD conversion process done by the QA-9, not the DA3000.

Korg discontinued, I'm told, so I guess AD options for vinyl are now QA-9, DA3000 and the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter. i would love to try all three to compare!

I must be missing something! Why wouldn't you just record direct to the Tascam in the first place?

(Incidentally, does anyone know how good the DA3000 is?)

Edit: To answer my own question, I suppose because you want the AD conversion process done by the QA-9, not the DA3000.

Korg discontinued, I'm told, so I guess AD options for vinyl are now QA-9, DA3000 and the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter. i would love to try all three to compare!

I believe Korg still do the MR2 portable option...

Eloise

---

• 3 months later...

I've been researching the QA-9 for doing DSD recordings of vinyl LPs, as well. According to the Ayre website, the QA-9 firmware upgrade will permit DSD recording over USB using a specific software package on the PC called Vinyl Studio. This is a quote from the Ayre website.

Since 2012 the QA-9 has been making amazing 24/192 PCM recordings over USB. Now for the first time you can also make DSD recordings using the USB interface of the QA-9!

We have updated the firmware of the QA-9 to work with the latest recording software Vinyl Studio which is produced by redarrowrt_sm.pngAlpine Soft of the UK. Record LPs and Tapes to CD and MP3 on your PC or Macintosh

I have the software loaded and a QA-9 inbound this week but still need to get the firmware upgrade before I can test this. Will do my own A/B comparison of PCM vs DSD.

Karl