IGNORED

Good EQ for foobar?

Any suggestions of a good parametric equalizer DSP component for foobar for free?

Looking for one that allows adding as many bands as I want, with different EQ curves options (high pass, low pass, high shelf, low shelf, peak), Q setting, etc.

Thanks.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Any suggestions of a good parametric equalizer DSP component for foobar for free?

Looking for one that allows adding as many bands as I want, with different EQ curves options (high pass, low pass, high shelf, low shelf, peak), Q setting, etc.

Thanks.

Hi Matias,

it depends on the purpose you are looking an equalizer for...

if you are thinking about speaker correction you may use a VST plugin by previously installing a VST adapter:

Foobar2000:Components/VST adapter - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

you can then find a VST parametric equalizer plugin

if you are thinking about room correction the results will not be always satisfactory 'cause minimum-phase (and linear-phase) equalizers operate in the frequency AND time domains so that they may worsen the impulse response while applying their frequency response correction.

the limitations of traditional equalizers are explained here:

Why%20Can%27t%20I%20Fix%20All%20my%20Acoustic%20Problems%20with%20EQ?]Home Theater Forum - Home Theater Systems - HomeTheaterShack

because room behaviour is generally not minimum-phase it cannot successfully be corrected by minimum-phase (or linear-phase) filters... you need a so called mixed-phase solution

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hi Flavio,

The purpose is a free DSP for foobar for room correction.

Are there any free parametric EQ VSTs that would work with the VST adapter?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 1 month later...

Before I went down the path of using Acourate, the free solutions I tried with foobar2000 were UMM-6 mic/MathAudio RoomEQ (easy to use, works well, but refinement of results limited by controls and unknown assumptions of how it does what it does), and UMM-6/REW 5.01/foo_dsp_convolver (huge amount of controls, fantastic for identifying room issues, significant learning curve, great online support via hometheatershack.com).

For zero cost other than your time and if you really like fiddling with individual parameters, I recommend REW to either generate EQ settings you can set manually with foobar2000's equalizer(s), or generate EQ filters that foobar2000's convolver can use. I'd also recommend using the MathAudio component as a "sanity check" for whatever you manually configure via REW.

If your time has significant (monetary) value to you, I really like Acourate for its macros and support, but I'm just beginning to learn what it does and how to use it appropriately.

A simple, effective and graphical PEQ, is EasyQ. It has quite a few parameters and it's free. Here's a link.

What I particularly like about it is how you can graphically change it in real time (by dragging a node which signifies the high or low point of the curve you're dealing with) and therefore you hear exactly what's changing as you see it changing.

Chris