IGNORED

Light Harmonic Geek Pulse DAC Campaign LIVE!

These cats from Light Harmonic are really cool! I love the crowd funding approach and the special pricing given to early adopters.

If the end product performs (and I have no doubts about that) I can see a large, rabid fan base coming together very quickly.

I am even more interested in future projects from LH, with Larry Ho's comment that even bigger surprises than the Geek Pulse are due to roll out next year. I am hoping for a fully-featured DAC with balanced outputs and AES/EBU input.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If I didn't already have a DSD DAC I'd be in on this. It's great how they are coming out with affordable audiophile devices.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Really anticipating getting both the portal ("Geek") and the desktop ("Pulse").

The desktop also apparently has a powerful headphone amp, which will be just the thing for my HE-500s :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes.. There are requests for the bigger es9018 chipset. We'll see, but in all honesty the 9018-2m is a good chip on its own right, only slightly less snr that the big brother and less power consumption. I'll still be happy if they stay with the small one

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Yes.. There are requests for the bigger es9018 chipset. We'll see, but in all honesty the 9018-2m is a good chip on its own right, only slightly less snr that the big brother and less power consumption. I'll still be happy if they stay with the small one

I beleive it would take the 8 channel 9018 to make it a balanced design for XLR outputs.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I beleive it would take the 8 channel 9018 to make it a balanced design for XLR outputs.

Not really... Each of the individual DACs inside the 9018 chip is balanced.. When used as a stereo DAC it is in Quad differential mode. If you look at the exaSound e28, there is an option where you get balanced out for each channel... Also, the balanced out from the Oppo bdp-105 is using only one dac for each balanced connector, the rest are used in parallel between the RCA and the headphone out.

- Unknown

Not really... Each of the individual DACs inside the 9018 chip is balanced.. When used as a stereo DAC it is in Quad differential mode. If you look at the exaSound e28, there is an option where you get balanced out for each channel... Also, the balanced out from the Oppo bdp-105 is using only one dac for each balanced connector, the rest are used in parallel between the RCA and the headphone out.

Some manufacturers claim that for a ESS9018, running 4 channels in parallel for the left and right channels each can improve the soncis significantly.

Some manufacturers claim that for a ESS9018, running 4 channels in parallel for the left and right channels each can improve the soncis significantly.

Yes, that is true.. I was just trying to clarify you don't need to run the chip with 4 DACs in parallel in order for it to be balanced. I am not sure if that is the case for the es9018k2m used in this early version of the Geek Pulse. The other DAC that uses that chip is the Concero HD/HP and those don't use balanced connectors, although Larry Ho from Light Harmonic commented on the design of the DAC having a balanced analog stage and there are talks of adding balanced connections for the rear as well as RCA, so it probably does.

- Unknown

Yes, that is true.. I was just trying to clarify you don't need to run the chip with 4 DACs in parallel in order for it to be balanced. I am not sure if that is the case for the es9018k2m used in this early version of the Geek Pulse. The other DAC that uses that chip is the Concero HD/HP and those don't use balanced connectors, although Larry Ho from Light Harmonic commented on the design of the DAC having a balanced analog stage and there are talks of adding balanced connections for the rear as well as RCA, so it probably does.

The Geek Pulse has been posted in Indiegogo for only 2 days and there are already around 300 of it sold!

We should continue to give Larry Ho our suggestions.

There is much room for him to use better components (ES9018 instead of ES9018-2M) and adopt better configurations such as balanced outputs on the finalized version.

x2. They can definitely do better than a Geek with a PS and RCA outputs in a cheaper case for $200 (67%) more. ;) Larry is the man!

The Geek Pulse has been posted in Indiegogo for only 2 days and there are already around 300 of it sold!

There is much room for him to use better components (ES9018 instead of ES9018-2M) and adopt better configurations such as balanced outputs on the finalized version.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

From the suggestions they have already gotten it sound like the are actively investigating implementing

Rotary volume control

Mini-XLR out and RCA version

Mute output with headphone jack insertion

Gain switch

Head-fi has a poll going to vote on the suggestions/additions, it would be interesting to do the same here as it is a different audience.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Yes.. I already got the Super Early Bird Pulse for $249.. I mean, think about it. For less than an a Meridian Explorer, you get up to 2xDSD and 384PCM with a capable headphone output, line outs and a proven DAC chip from a company that has made very well regarded products!! This crowdfunding thing for getting customer feedback is a great move from Gavin Fish and the rest of the team.

I'm excited at the possibility to have balanced outputs and also balanced headphone connection as well

- Unknown

From the suggestions they have already gotten it sound like the are actively investigating implementing

Rotary volume control

Mini-XLR out and RCA version

Mute output with headphone jack insertion

Gain switch

Head-fi has a poll going to vote on the suggestions/additions, it would be interesting to do the same here as it is a different audience.

Larry Ho already said that the next prototype will have the gain switch.

the Geek Pulse will also be expanded in the future, with another box looking the same that will work as a network streamer with AirPlay and also a linear Power supply is in the plans

- Unknown

What is sure for now are two things: gain switch and balanced out (mini xlr).

In development: Rotary volume control, Informative display, Mute output with headphone jack insertion.

On gain switch:

Larry Ho said 1 day ago

HI, Marcelo

My plan for gain switch, will be either on PCB board or some DIP switch on the back. But no matter how, it will be there.

And Geek Pulse will take 12V DC input.

Larry

On balanced out:

Larry Ho said 22 hours ago

Hi, all

Balance output, we hear you. Actually our internal circuit is fully balance from beginning all the way before headphone driver. So line out could have balance output for sure.

So my plan for now is two configuration. One RCA version, one mini XLR version…

Give us few days. We will work it out. ;-)

Larry

What is sure for now are two things: gain switch and balanced out (mini xlr).

In development: Rotary volume control, Informative display, Mute output with headphone jack insertion.

On gain switch:

Larry Ho said 1 day ago

HI, Marcelo

My plan for gain switch, will be either on PCB board or some DIP switch on the back. But no matter how, it will be there.

And Geek Pulse will take 12V DC input.

Larry

On balanced out:

Larry Ho said 22 hours ago

Hi, all

Balance output, we hear you. Actually our internal circuit is fully balance from beginning all the way before headphone driver. So line out could have balance output for sure.

So my plan for now is two configuration. One RCA version, one mini XLR version…

Give us few days. We will work it out. ;-)

Larry

Hey mickey,

Do you think the mini-xlr version will only be mini-xlr or will it include both? When I read that post I wasnt really sure what he meant

- Unknown

Just to clarify: is the volume control designed to work on both headphone and line level output or purely headphone?

If it works at live level too is there a option to fix the output for line level?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm really concerned about the mobile ESS - I know Resonessence has not been able to make it stable at 384k (and I was unable to get it to synch at 356k, either, with my ConceroHP), though I must admit it sounded fantastic when it worked, esp. with DSD :) Can't wait to hear my Geek *and* my Pulse!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Just to clarify: is the volume control designed to work on both headphone and line level output or purely headphone?

I think its for headphone out only...

20120727183604-idgg.jpg?1343439369Gavin Fishsaid 22 hours ago

@Larry B – I think we can make the volume knob request happen.

@emoralesramos – Volume control will only effect the headphone out.

They have adopted ES9018K2M for Geek Out and there were praises already with their RC1.

For me I rather hear a ES9018 mobile done right rather than a ES9018 desktop version gone wrong.