IGNORED

RIP Lou Reed

Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71 | Music News | Rolling Stone

A loss to the world of music ... He never stopped experimenting.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

From the article:

"One chord is fine," he once said, alluding to his bare-bones guitar style. "Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

Damn straight!

I thought Lou would go on for ever. In fact not entirely sure this isn't the build up to his next comeback tour.

RIP Lou

Of course when I watched him performing with Metallica I wasn't entirely sure he hadn't already left us :-) :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Eloise

---

Of course when I watched him performing with Metallica I wasn't entirely sure he hadn't already left us :-) :-)

Eloise

Lou-Reed-lou-reed-22266286-317-195_zpsb882fa36.jpg

FYI the images are bit-perfect matches. If you can't spot the difference it means your screen is not resolving enough and you aren't looking properly.

ps: Please to forgive the snark, huge Velvets and Reed fan here. Wonder how the choir of angels will cope with 'Sister Ray'

RIP Lou

You will be missed. Say Hi to Andy for us.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

"New York" was one of those coming of age albums for me. It smacked me up the side of the head and said "there's more to life than small town drama."

Ended up moving to Manhattan. One day, almost fell out of my chair when I realized Lou and Laurie were sitting across the hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant.

"Guitar, bass, drums. That's all you need"

I saw him once somewhere near Boston in 1986 I think. It was so bad, I walked out on it.

FWIW his wife has far more ability, talent and creativity.

I saw him in London at about the same time, most likely on the same tour. I enjoyed it, though my main memory is that it was by far the most expensive gig I'd even been to, and remained so for several years after. At the time the joke (made in the gig review) was that when he finished the first song and thanked the audience, half of them walked out in disgust at being treated so politely.

Which makes this just about perfect :D :

A word from the man himself... ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8580[/ATTACH]

My partner and I have been to several Laurie Anderson concerts here in Dallas. On two occasions, we wound up sitting right next to Lou Reed - interesting coincidence, and nice to see him supporting Laurie. Sending her good vibes this evening :(

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A little DIY Lou Reed tribute concert, with help from youtube

First up, Lou himself with the Velvet Underground, doing I'm Waiting for the Man. Gotta love the little girl playing the maracas in the film. So sweet and innocent! What's that you say? The song's about buying drugs? No way!

Satellite of Love performed by U2, from the ZOO TV tour. Halfway through they're joined by a spooky Lou on the Zoo TV channel.

[video=youtube;-OUE0vMblBE]

Who's up for a Walk on the Wild Side with Vanessa Paradis? Hell yeah. "My white boys sing do di do..." :D

From the Trinity Sessions album, the Cowboy Junkies totally own Sweet Jane. Awesome. I could listen to Margo Timmins' voice all day.

And finally to round things off, back to Lou with John Cale: Hello it's me - the last song on Songs for Drella.

In that case...

Go for it Lou ... rock on and never let the angel's rest!!

Eloise

---

In that case, I'll retract my "Rest in Peace"

and change it to (from "Magic and Loss":

As you pass through fire as you pass through fire

trying to remember its name

When you pass through fire licking at your lips

you cannot remain the same

And if the building' burning

move towards that door

but don't put the flames out

There's a bit of magic in everything

and then some loss to even things out

• 3 weeks later...

Just found a link to Lou Reed's last conversation about the sounds that moved him to tears. "Ordered sound is music," he said. "My life is music."

Lou Reed's Last Words: Velvet Underground Leader's Final Video Interview - Video | Rolling Stone

(Sorry can't embed it)

Eloise

---