IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Well, I can finally add my voice to the chorus of happy customers of AudioPhil's product. Honestly, I was nervous about making the changes at first as they seemed somewhat outside my comfort zone and I was happy with the sound I was getting before. But I was convinced by the things I'd read here and on other forums to give it a try. That turned out to be a very wise decision!

I'm now running a Dual PC setup, with WS2012 core & the Audiophile Optimizer on both. JRiver is on the ControlPC and Paul Pang's USB 3.0 card is in the AudioPC. I've taken a very slow, deliberate route to finally arriving at this point, making lots of incremental changes and getting acclimated to the sound at each step of way.

Because of how great the sound was in the previous iterations (Win7-JPlay, then single-WS2012-GUI-non-optimized, then dual-WS2012-GUI-non-optimzed), I wasn't prepared for the difference the Audiophile Optimizer would make. It's not the kind of improvement that you have to convince yourself you're hearing. I don't pretend to understand all of what AudioPhil has done here or what kind of effort it must have taken, but the sound is dramatically better. And the Audiophile Optimizer accounted for the largest leap of all my upgrades, by far. Better still, all of the changes it made were positive. I didn't gain in one area only to lose in another. I can't believe what I'm hearing from (lossless rips of) CD's I've been listening to for years.

WS2012 installs faster and just as easily as Win8. The optimizer itself is very quick easy to use, and I went through the advanced setup mode. It took many times longer to read the detailed manual than it did to actually use the Optimizer. Even using WS2012 in core mode without the GUI hasn't turned out to be difficult. JRiver & JPlay both run almost exactly the same as they do in GUI mode. My music is on networked drives and I use my laptop to remote control the ControlPC (with Remote Desktop) and for most of my library management.

One thing I found invaluable is the ability to perform "bare metal" backups of my OS with the free, open-source "Clonezilla" app. It quickly and easily backs up your entire system into a single, restorable file. I stored the backups on a USB flash drive. Having them gave me the freedom to try things out with the ability to go back to a previous, successful state if I made a mistake or forgot something that turned out to matter.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm very pleased with the Audiophile Optimizer. I didn't before, but I now see my server(s) as an audio component, and a high end audio component at that. To anyone wondering if optimized WS2012 is worth it, the sonic difference between it and a consumer OS is dramatic. Not running it just means that a significant amount of what you could be hearing is lost before the bits ever leave your computer.

Thanks to AudioPhil and all of the members here who helped me directly & indirectly with their posts and messages!!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Hello Folks

Thank you all very much for the positive compliments. I'm glad you do not regret your decision to try out my solution.

I am constantly working on further improvement. With version 1.23 of the AudiophileOptimizer (coming soon!) the new ServiceTool will make life even better. It has never been easier to switch from and to core, minimal-server and GUI mode. Take a look how it works here:

[video=youtube_share;_NmbXWWO_vI]

...or watch all new videos on my page -> http://www.highend-audiopc.com

Best wishes,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Well that's great news. I can now easily upgrade Jriver now. Do you know if the wireless feature will be automatically enabled when switching to Core mode? It seems Server disables it.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi

Yes, it makes the whole procedure much more comfortable and safe to use.

The ServiceTool is the replacemnt for the ServiceEnabler. If you have already

optimized your system with the Optimizer, the ServiceTool will need two runs.

The first run will do the same as the ServiceEnabler did, the second run will

show you the new options.

Core mode does not Support WLAN (Wireless-Network Feature gets deinstalled),

only GUI and minimal-server mode do.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Well that's great news. I can now easily upgrade Jriver now. Do you know if the wireless feature will be automatically enabled when switching to Core mode? It seems Server disables it.

Jriver cannot be upgraded in core mode?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Jriver cannot be upgraded in core mode?

No, the Installer of JRiver does not work in core mode unfortunately. If they would use a standard installer (MSI) then it would be no Problem, but they made their own installer...

Hi

Core mode does not Support WLAN (Wireless-Network Feature gets deinstalled),

only GUI and minimal-server mode do.

Core mode does support wireless. The feature and service just needs to be enabled in Powershell. It wouldn't too hard to add a script or option in Optimizer to ask if wireless is needed would it? :)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

No, the Installer of JRiver does not work in core mode unfortunately. If they would use a standard installer (MSI) then it would be no Problem, but they made their own installer...

Gotcha. I haven't upgraded optimizer since my initial install of 1.21, I think.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

If you install the Wireless-Networking feature while being in core mode, you end up in minimal-server mode, this happens automatically. Go ahaed and see yourself :-) you can start sysdm.cpl for example, which is not available in core mode.

This weekend I switched the digital filter to D and I am really liking it. It has removed some of the harshness that I was hearing before.

Thanks Phil!

This weekend I switched the digital filter to D and I am really liking it. It has removed some of the harshness that I was hearing before.

Thanks Phil!

That's great to hear dminches.

I've recently installed the optimizer for the first time with the recommended options and it sounds excellent. I haven't even experimented with the other choices yet. Plus, I'm running on dual servers, so that means I have the 4 engine options in JPlay (x2) and all of the sound signature & digital filter options (x2) in the Audiophile Optimizer!!

What it boils down to is that there there's tremendous flexibility and therefore, there should be a setting to please every ear/system/room. And it's all "bit-perfect.." although that phrase means a lot less to me now than it used to!

Thanks again to Phil, ted_b and all of the other users for sharing their knowledge & experience.

Happy New Year to all!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I am noticing that the bass with digital filter D is deeper and tighter than with A or B. It is sounding closer to my analog bass response with my VPI TT.

I am noticing that the bass with digital filter D is deeper and tighter than with A or B. It is sounding closer to my analog bass response with my VPI TT.

I'm going to have to give that a try when I get home.

Hey

I like Digital-Filter D the most as well. it gives a nice tube like touch to the sound, more Body, more lifelike, more enjoyable.

Hey

I like Digital-Filter D the most as well. it gives a nice tube like touch to the sound, more Body, more lifelike, more enjoyable.

Which sound signature do you use most often?

Hey Folks

First of all, happy new year to all of you! Hope you had a great night and didn't drink way to much. :)

Yesterday version 1.23 of the AudiophileOptimizer was released, mainly introducing the new ServiceTool. The ServiceTool will simplify the procedure of switching between modes (GUI/minimal/core) and help to install Wireless-LAN Support if needed.

There are some small changes regarding Express Mode as well. HPET was disabled in Express Mode in 1.22, now HPET is enabled in Express Mode.

Take a look how easy it is to set Autologon, replace the shell with J River (for example). You will end up with a machine you only need to press the power button to get everything up and running (and press that button once again to shut everything down again):

Best,

Phil

Thank you Phil and happy new year!

Question for you...what does the shell_jriver registry file do? I currently have Jriver set to automatically start up when the PC restarts. Is this the same thing?

Other components:

Hi

What you do is something like putting a program in the "autostart" folder.

The registry file replaces the Shell. This means instead of starting the exploer Environment, or the commnd prompt, JRiver get's directly started after you log on.

BEst Phil

Hello Phil and Happy New Year

I take it that this feature is only for the GUI and not the Core mode?

Hi

The registry file replaces the Shell. This means instead of starting the exploer Environment, or the commnd prompt, JRiver get's directly started after you log on.

BEst Phil

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

Hi

BEst Phil

Phil, any benefit to doing it your way versus how I do it?

Other components:

I use the v1.23 optimizer some days back. It is a great job, Phil, thank you. A "must be step" if we want to walk into the light.

I tried the several sound and filters. Did not listen all of them but i feel now the 1D is the most relaxed, natural and neutral way. The 1B is a little more stiff and less fluent. These two presets is better than others in my system and by my ears.

Hey

I like D also. :) I still marvel at how good my system is with the Optimizer. You have truly done something special.

Often it seems people are not happy with their system and keep changing DACs looking for something... when actually the OS is the real culprit. Now I just sit back and enjoy...