Hi,

New here, based in the UK. My old CD player packed up and a friend of mine who is a serious hi-end HiFi enthusiast kindly bought me a Schiit Modi. Since I have so much music on my Macbook now, and have stopped buying CDs, he said it would be a convenient way of listening to my collection.

It arrived yesterday, with leads supplied. I plugged the leads into the back of the Modi and my amp (an old Rotel) and plugged the USB lead into the Modi and my Macbook and... Nothing... Zilch... Nada. The power light on the Modi stays off and nothing happens on the Macbook. I spent the morning using the Schiit troubleshooting guide, changed the leads, USB ports, input to amp and still nothing.

Any suggestions? Sort of tricky, because I don't want to contact my friend (it seems a little ungenerous since he was kind enough to buy it for me) and i don't know where he bought it. Of course, if I have to, I will, but would rather not.

On a relatively new Macbook (OS 10.7.5).

Tim

If you look under "Applications -- Utilities" find the "Audio MIDI" application.

In the list of audio devices list does the Schiit show up? If so you need to select it as the default audio device.

If there is no device shown in Audio MIDI then check under " -> About This Mac -> More Info... -> System Report..." and see if the Schiit is listed here.

If it doesn't show up, then try the Schiit on the other USB port of the Mac. Also try using a USB cable from a printer or external drive you know is working.

If none of these work; find out from your friend where the DAC was purchased and contact the dealer.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Many thanks. Tried all that to no avail. Reckon it's going back.

I assume you don't have a second computer you can try it on? It does sound broken though.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.