IGNORED

Best SPDIF Converter/Music Server for Audio Research DAC8

If the AES input is the best one on the DAC8 then the Yellowtec Puc2 Lite is an AES only option. You would need to pair it with a good USB power source like the iUSB. It hasn't gotten a lot of press, but from what I've read/heard it stands up well to other more expensive options. Most likely not as good as the Berkeley Alpha USB but definitely cheaper.

a very good combination I've seen used by people in the industry is the Weiss INT202/203 and the DAC8. FireWire to AES is how they do it.

I have the Berkeley Audio Design ALpha USB. Going USB to AES into the DAC8 this way is the best I've heard the DAC8.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Hi Christopher,

Is a possible option.

Alpha USB works great with Macs?

Works well with Macs and no driver needed, of course.

A little more expensive but an excellent unit.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Hi all. I am new here on the forum (don't know why the hell I didn't use this site before) and I am also shopping for a good usb/spdif converter. A friend of mine advised the Wired4sound Ulink. It might not be as good as the Audiophilleo or Ciunas (JKSPDIF), and for shure it is not as good as the Alpha, but look at the price tag. 300 dollars is a very nice price, and it is well reviewed - there is also an upgrade path through power supply.

I'm a bit confused!

Today I went back to DAC8 USB input and..

The soundstage focus is a little worse (10% maybe), but sound is much more organic and real.

So... If a SPDIF converter will can better my dac, Wavelink seems not be the right way.

Uoww... Too many reports! Thank you!!!

So... AES is the best way for my DAC. Good to know!

I'm listenig Wavelink HS right now (with Nordsot RCA digital cable). Better soundstage, timing and focus.

And about AES digital cable... Recomendations for Alpha USB + DAC8?

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

My best experience, is to use a MAC Mini as server, connected to a Yellowtec PUC2 via USB and then, to DAC8 via XLR digital. The PUC2 USB input, goes with an AQVOX power supply. I prefer sonically this setup, than the Audiophilleo 1+Pure Power. I didn't test the Berkeley Aipha USB converter yet.

• 2 years later...
I'm a bit confused! Today I went back to DAC8 USB input and..

The soundstage focus is a little worse (10% maybe), but sound is much more organic and real ...

Hi are you using any usb device before the dac like usb isolators/reclockers ?

maybe that could give you the remaining 10%

regards, gino

I am astounded how much musical life is suppressed with just a Usb cable to a DAC. Re-clocking is a great technique that cleans up USB and with the right gear can convert to AES3.

Please research Mutec MC-3+USB and MC-3+. The USB version provides for 4kV galvanic isolation, so the crud created by the Usb transmission is sent back to the source and not to the DAC, converts DSD to PCM very well indeed as a bonus. They are also cheaper than a Berkeley Design USB (and look a lot better).

Well worth the research especially right here at CA.

The best thing about AES3 is it's always on, if the link breaks for some reason, it restarts fine when restored.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I am astounded how much musical life is suppressed with just a Usb cable to a DAC. Re-clocking is a great technique that cleans up USB and with the right gear can convert to AES3.

Hi ! sorry if i jump in with some questions.

i wonder about the reasons why usb connection have a negative impact on the signal.

About reclocking, i guess it should address the jitter. If I understand correctly the usb receiver (i.e. XMOS chip) reclocks the signal anyway.

Maybe a reclocker before the XMOS can provided a stronger/better signal and make the job for the XMOS easier ?

Please research Mutec MC-3+USB and MC-3+. Well worth the research especially right here at CA.

Great units indeed ! Right now I am looking at a Yellowtec PUC2 … but I have the feeling that the Mutec units are on a higher level.

The USB version provides for 4kV galvanic isolation, so the crud created by the Usb transmission is sent back to the source and not to the DAC, converts DSD to PCM very well indeed as a bonus. They are also cheaper than a Berkeley Design USB (and look a lot better).

IMHO galvanic isolation is a must and I really do not understand why it is not the norm. Any serious usb dac or converter should provide that. I will try one cheap as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of the Berkeley i do not understand why the isolation is performed after the XMOS chip. I would start with isolator and then the usb receiver. Are you aware of a comparison Mutec vs. Berkeley ?

The best thing about AES3 is it's always on, if the link breaks for some reason, it restarts fine when restored

I have already read great opinions about AES/EBU connection. Also the fact that is balanced can give some “immunity” against noise? I tried it and liked it a lot. The sound had a very relaxed nature while keeping all the detail. Very very musical.

As I said at present I am targeting a Yellowtec PUC2 but I do not know what to do.

Thanks a lot again, gino

The subject of USB convertors is always a bit baffling for me. Personally I would have thought that modern USB DACs would not need them. But from what I've heard some DACs still perform better with AES/ebu or BNC input.

Some people with high end DACs still use the Hydra Z or Berkly etc.

So would a Hydra Z powered by a Schiit Wyrd by a better upgrade compared to a DAC upgrade. My current DAC is the ancient Wadia 12. I'm looking at the Moon 280D, Metrum, or Schiit Gumby.

[br]

I have owned the Audiophillio 1 with battery , have tried the Berkeley and have hung my hat on the Audiobyte Hydra Z with the Audiobyte ZPM . This is USB to AES feeding my Calyx Femto DAC ....

Subjectively I thought the HydraZ alone was equivalent to the Audiophillio 1 with the battery and of coarse not quite equal to the Berkeley... Once I add the ZPM to the mix I felt it bested the other pair in only depth of sound field ... Again subjectively all three performed excellent generally .

I will say that the Calyx Femto seemed to respond to the use of a D-D converter more so than my W4S DAC2 DSDse.... Or, should I say it was easier to tell the difference in depth of the stage with the Calyx than the W4S... Take from that what you will.

again, all subjective , all compared at the same time and not a level matched A/B test ..

Hi Mordante,

Check out some of the LAN Input or Streamer DAC discussions out there.

I will never go back to USB ear/headache. And more options are slowly becoming available.

+1. But I've headed in another direction, wireless streaming.

Devices like Devialet Phantom and Naim Mu-so are in fact even more convincing about the viability and the future of wireless even for the audiophile.

2 Phantoms or Silver Phantoms pretty much take the cake, especially for what it costs and for what it entails to build a "separates system" for similar performance.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Hi ! sorry if i jump in with some questions.

i wonder about the reasons why usb connection have a negative impact on the signal.

About reclocking, i guess it should address the jitter. If I understand correctly the usb receiver (i.e. XMOS chip) reclocks the signal anyway.

Maybe a reclocker before the XMOS can provided a stronger/better signal and make the job for the XMOS easier ?

Great units indeed ! Right now I am looking at a Yellowtec PUC2 … but I have the feeling that the Mutec units are on a higher level.

IMHO galvanic isolation is a must and I really do not understand why it is not the norm. Any serious usb dac or converter should provide that. I will try one cheap as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of the Berkeley i do not understand why the isolation is performed after the XMOS chip. I would start with isolator and then the usb receiver. Are you aware of a comparison Mutec vs. Berkeley ?

I have already read great opinions about AES/EBU connection. Also the fact that is balanced can give some “immunity” against noise? I tried it and liked it a lot. The sound had a very relaxed nature while keeping all the detail. Very very musical.

As I said at present I am targeting a Yellowtec PUC2 but I do not know what to do.

Thanks a lot again, gino

If you wish to read about USB, here is an excellent page that explains quite a lot, John Swenson is quite detailed but written in a logical manner (you will need to know the basics).

Galvanic isolation is not so easy to implement. For audio, the signal needs to be isolated, but also has to hand shake USB Audio class 2.0 devices as a minimum. Isolation is best at the I2S level, since this is differential simple pulses.

I haven't seen any written comparisons from reviewers between the Mutec and Berkerley USB, but a few people have piped up and liked the Mutec better.

From what I can see in the Yellowtec, it does not have galvanic isolation and only a fraction of inputs of what the Mutec's offer. But you pay more of course.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I have owned the Audiophillio 1 with battery , have tried the Berkeley and have hung my hat on the Audiobyte Hydra Z with the Audiobyte ZPM . This is USB to AES feeding my Calyx Femto DAC ....

Subjectively I thought the HydraZ alone was equivalent to the Audiophillio 1 with the battery and of coarse not quite equal to the Berkeley... Once I add the ZPM to the mix I felt it bested the other pair in only depth of sound field ... Again subjectively all three performed excellent generally .

I will say that the Calyx Femto seemed to respond to the use of a D-D converter more so than my W4S DAC2 DSDse.... Or, should I say it was easier to tell the difference in depth of the stage with the Calyx than the W4S... Take from that what you will.

again, all subjective , all compared at the same time and not a level matched A/B test ..

Thank you for your reply.

Right now I'm using a Aries LE it is connected to my Wadia 12 by AES/ebu.

[br]