IGNORED

Show us your Foobar2000 layout

alehel

I started using Foobar2000 for the first time today after having purchased a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus. At first I was utterfly confused by the program, but after some messing around I started to understand how it works. I spent a few hours creating my own layout, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I then became interested in knowing how everyone here has set up their Foobar2000 layout and thought people might be interested in sharing.

Here is my current layout

Untitled.jpg

I didn't know you could measure DR with Foobar2000. Is that a plugin you downloaded?
I got the DR plugin for foobar2000 from the link at the top right here: DR Database

After installing it, configure it to "Write DR meta data tags":

DR-meter-config.png

Then after analyzing tracks you should see the <DYNAMIC RANGE> tag set to the DR value:

track-metadata.png

Finally, configure the columns with shorter names so they don't take up so much space:

custom-columns.png

I'm using Foobar since about three years now, and it has been taken its place as my main music serving "system" in the meantime.

To reflect my needs/wishes in terms of usability (I do suffer from a heafty limited vision), and to be able to incorporate some (maybe quite special !?) read-outs from my costumized tags, I took a pre-configured - and very well documented! - "Skin" *) and developed my own one out of it.

There was quite some work - and experimentation - involved, but in the end (if there is omething like "an end" in costumizing Foobar ...) I'm quite happy with what I have achieved (so far).

Some of the featured I had to get working are:

- it shows a (red) "HDCD" tag in the main display, if HDCD encoded tracks are played (replacing the tagged "Source" information)

- it has a different information-setting in the playlist for pop/jazz ... and classical music, which is triggered by a costum tag ("swith") to display the conductor and the orchestra instead of the used "Info" tag.

- it displays wordlenght, samplerates, used codec, MD5 info, Bitrate, Channel-Info, ... partly from costum tags, partly from file-properties, ...

- it incorporates DR-Range information for tracks and for album

DarkOne01.jpg

DarkOne02.jpg

As said, there is still some work to be done/finished - mainly some optical/cosmetical changes, but ... ;-)

The skin I used as a basis for my work can be found here:

DarkOne v3.1 by tedgo on deviantART

but beware, it has been developed to a much higher standard since I've started using it ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Henry66,

I will take a look into the settings of the playlist in TedGo's DarkOne V.4, but this might take some time ... ;-)

As I said above, I used DarkOne as a starting point, and ripped out (almost) anything to get to what I have now.

I also incorporated some ideas (scripts) from later DarkOne versions (2.x, 3.x and even 4.x) into my own layout.

So please stay tuned, I will try ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Henry66,

as promised, here ya go:

01.jpg

If you PM me your email adress, I will send you the needed script for the ELPlaylist, which could be imported into your DarkOne V.4.x settings ...

• 3 months later...

Hi

There has been quite some interest in my Foobar skin, and I got a lot of PMs asking about to share my skin too.

The main "problem" would be that i won't be able to guide all through the needed extra steps in setting up Foobar to make use of some of the needed extras I've implemented - i.e. some costum tags to show up correctly.

I think my current setup is quite ready, and (almost) all of the quirks that surfaced over the time have been ironed out, I will share what I have on a "use as is" basis for those interested.

To keep the housework to a minimum, I will try to upload a portable setup/installation, which then can be used instantly, and without additional major tweaks or (re-)programming. One would only have to set the path(s) to their library, and their audio setup accordingly.

I will give some further screenshots here as well, to document some of my special features, to give some hints on how - and why - these are implemented.

So please stay tuned and be a little patient - this may take some time ...

Cheers

Harald

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

There has been quite some interest in my Foobar skin, and I got a lot of PMs asking about to share my skin too.

The main "problem" would be that i won't be able to guide all through the needed extra steps in setting up Foobar to make use of some of the needed extras I've implemented - i.e. some costum tags to show up correctly.

I think my current setup is quite ready, and (almost) all of the quirks that surfaced over the time have been ironed out, I will share what I have on a "use as is" basis for those interested.

To keep the housework to a minimum, I will try to upload a portable setup/installation, which then can be used instantly, and without additional major tweaks or (re-)programming. One would only have to set the path(s) to their library, and their audio setup accordingly.

I will give some further screenshots here as well, to document some of my special features, to give some hints on how - and why - these are implemented.

So please stay tuned and be a little patient - this may take some time ...

Cheers

Harald

Thank you very much Harald, for your response on your post about your nice foobar layout.

I can imagine that a lot of requests is difficult to handle, especial if there will be a need of explaining a lot of things. Personaly I am not completely a null in programming and reading of the code in Darkone 4.x by tedgo I made some small changements in it as well. I hope you progress a bit and I will look back if there is already some news in this post...........

many thanks anyway

Joop

Here is mine, simple layout, but effective: search box, album cover display,track/album info display, bitrate display, highlights track playing:

foobar.png

There are thousands of UI's out there for free on the net, almost anyone can find what they want if they are willing to put some time in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)