IGNORED

A brief poll question about sex

What sex are you?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well?

(Notice that the poll does not ask about gender. In puritan America, it seems like people use the word "gender" when they mean "sex." A eukaryotic organism may be male or female, or perhaps some intermediate sex form, but does not have a "gender," which is a linguistic term, i.e., grammar : one of the categories (masculine, feminine, and neuter) into which words (such as nouns, adjectives, and pronouns) are divided in many languages).

Well?

(Notice that the poll does not ask about gender. In puritan America, it seems like people use the word "gender" when they mean "sex." A eukaryotic organism may be male or female, or perhaps some intermediate sex form, but does not have a "gender," which is a linguistic term, i.e., grammar : one of the categories (masculine, feminine, and neuter) into which words (such as nouns, adjectives, and pronouns) are divided in many languages).

Ha, ha, ha... I guess you read some posts in the thread The Death of the Home Stereo System.

But is not only "puritan America", but "puritan World"!

Roch

Hermaphrodites are shunned?

Yes, in order to be fully inclusive, poll might need additional options. Not sure what the most appropriate wording would be, but from a simple logical perspective one could obviously add "both A + B" and "neither A nor B". Then after these one would be left to contemplate the possible meaning of "none of the above", which could be simply an illogical option, or it could be construed as an affirmation of gender nihilism (or should I say "sex" or "sexual" nihilism?) or a critique of any form of essentialism....

And I wanted to reply "Yes please!" :-)

PS. Female but also a small furry creature from Alpha Centuri.

PPS. But from the time of REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

And here I thought the brief poll question was going to be something about "What music do you listen to while doing it?".

Yes, I am that shallow.

Bridge of Sighs ~ Robin Trower

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

And I wanted to reply "Yes please!" :-)

Must be British humour or something - I had the same thought. Can't speak for America, but over here in the civilizzzzed UK the main reason for replacing 'sex' with 'gender' on a form wouldn't be puritanical, it would be to avoid puerile replies :)

Meanwhile across Channel and the North Sea, our ultra sophisticated European neighbours probably have so many different words for describing their adventurous and impressive sex lives that the problem doesn't arise.

Meanwhile across Channel and the North Sea, our ultra sophisticated European neighbours probably have so many different words for describing their adventurous and impressive sex lives that the problem doesn't arise.

I'm sorry Mr Souptin... But even I draw the line at describing my adventurous and impressive sex life here!!

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hmmmm... Okay naughty response...

Has anyone done a double blind test to check (their gender)

PS OED of gender states:

1 [mass noun] the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones):

traditional concepts of gender

[count noun] the members of one or other sex:

differences between the genders are encouraged from an early age

Eloise

---

The Danish reply would be along the lines:

Slightly dominant with a kind but firm grip and preference for very linear (canes & riding whips)

Oh, and I'm a Hooloovoo, also known as a super-intelligent shade of the colour blue.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I'm not sure this poll went the way you hoped... Actually maybe it did :-)

Eloise

---

And here I thought the brief poll question was going to be something about "What music do you listen to while doing it?".

Yes, I am that shallow.

Well, Jimi Hendrix doing Dylan songs worked pretty well for me in those circumstances. Seemed wrong at first suggestion, but she always did dig it. Worked with 8-track, worked with cassette, even with FM, worked with CD, and CA too!

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

PS OED of gender states:

Does blind drunk count? If it does, I can report positive correlations. Along with a couple of other drugged states.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It is nice to see the words "sex" and "gender" used properly, for once. Many thanks.

It is nice to see the words "sex" and "gender" used properly, for once. Many thanks.

I would question the term "properly" here. Language is a constantly evolving thing - what is important is not how a word was originally defined, but how it is commonly used. Even the Oxford English Dictionary - the guardians of proper English (as opposed to that fake American English) recognise that!

Eloise

Eloise

---

Hi All,

In Dutch (my native language) the question:

Gender (male / female):

would be translated as:

Geslacht (man / vrouw):

The word "geslacht" can also be translated as "butchered" or "slaughtered".

So, some people would, on paper forms and when the question was not really relevant, write "nog niet" (= not yet) :)

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

PS OED of gender states:

Hi Eloise,

In The Netherlands this is a standard test that, at least by males, is performed multiple times a day. We use the expression "I am going to check if I am still a boy" to indicate the need to urinate.

However, I am quite sure this test is a single-blind as it is quite uncommon for males, unlike females, to join each other when going to the bathroom. Unless, of course, you consider having both eyes closed during the "test".

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)