IGNORED

The best sounding/recorded ECM label albums

Hello,

I'd like to ask you if you know any the best recorded/sounding ECM releases like Anat Fort "Long Story" or Mick Goodrick "In Pas(s)ing" or Bobo Stenson "Cantando" or at least Kenny Wheeler "The Widow in the Window" and Dono Saluzzi "Responsorium"? These ones are that I consider amazingly recorded and sounded. Do you have more such like these?

Especially, Anat Fort's "Long Story" is my recent the best - during the mastering/mixing Manfred was also involved and the album sound is stunning - just listen to bass section or feel the space and air between instruments!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Nobody? I know that's a matter of the taste, but maybe you have some CD's which for you sound exceptional?

Yes, my preference is for many of Keith Jarrett, with a special place for the last hi-rez (Somewhere) that ticks all my favourite boxes in sound and musicianship...

BUT my favorite from ECM is the lovely "Duas Vozes" by Egberto Gismonti and Nana Vasconcelos.

There is a innate sense of balance in those compositions that makes them never seem "too much" beautiful, so, never dull or too tender...

Only 2 musicians, playing lot's of instruments, so even if the stage is somewhat artificial as a result of the mix...it's huge and very entertaining.

Some of the sounds made by Nana, I guess you will find difficult to ear somewhere else.

If you don't know already this gem, you should run to it....

Edit:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/duas-vozes-mw0000196496

Fully agree on this review that the Bianca and Don Quixote are the gems. The gems of the gem!

Yes, my preference is for many of Keith Jarrett, with a special place for the last hi-rez (Somewhere) that ticks all my favourite boxes in sound and musicianship...

BUT my favorite from ECM is the lovely "Duas Vozes" by Egberto Gismonti and Nana Vasconcelos.

There is a innate sense of balance in those compositions that makes them never seem "too much" beautiful, so, never dull or too tender...

Only 2 musicians, playing lot's of instruments, so even if the stage is somewhat artificial as a result of the mix...it's huge and very entertaining.

Some of the sounds made by Nana, I guess you will find difficult to ear somewhere else.

If you don't know already this gem, you should run to it....

Edit:

Duas Vozes - Egberto Gismonti,Naná Vasconcelos | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Fully agree on this review that the Bianca and Don Quixote are the gems. The gems of the gem!

Fully agree about Somewhere in High Resolution - sound very, very good to me as well. For Egberto, I have double ECM album recently re-released Magica/Carta de Amor and I enjoying it much. I will try to listen carefully to that one you mentioned here.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Fully agree about Somewhere in High Resolution - sound very, very good to me as well. For Egberto, I have double ECM album recently re-released Magica/Carta de Amor and I enjoying it much. I will try to listen carefully to that one you mentioned here.

Yesterday I moved my loudspeakers to a impossible place, with 157cm to the back wall.

Like I have experienced with other speakers in the past...there is the "disappearing act" of the speakers themselves, lots of depth, with the music coming in layers...

In this setup, I even get more pleasure from "Somewhere", with more space around the piano and with more decay on the wonderful DeJohnette's cymbals...

It seems this placement allows for more detail to be easily perceived and a more balanced output of the several instruments...

This led me to a comparison, listening to "Somewhere" in both the native wav bought and the flac (converted on JRMC). I listen both in sequence...but not very concentrated as I am working at the same time. From time to time I am pushed into the music that regains my attention. Funny, when I checked at those occasions is the wav playing....

Subjectivity is driving me mad, as I am feeling more connected to the wav than to the flac version. Is there some kind of expectation bias playing here?

I don't know, but what is again clear, is that the system is only playing close to it's full potential, when the speakers are in the non-waf place...

Knowing that I cannot keep them so much apart from the rear wall, I will enjoy this for the remaining of the day.

I will check "Magica/Carta de Amor" thanks for bringing it to attention!

By the way, does anyone have a view on Keith Jarrett's forays into Bach? I am tempted to try and listen to his Goldberg variations. ECM engineering must do wonders for the sound of harpsichord, but it is difficult for me to make sense of the comments on Amazon, which are extremely mixed.

This is my next buy in fact ;-)

I already have Juni and As It Is seems to be better recorded IMHO. In the stores where I leave it is impossible now to buy physical CD, so I will go for download version in CD quality - shame that we cannot get HiRez version for such good albums. ECM, do you hear?

--

Krzysztof Maj

I would say that the Dave Holland Quintet recordings are excellent.

There's a lot of ECM recordings from the 70's that have a unique sound that may not be fully transparent but have a wonderful character that I enjoy. Something like Ralph Towner's Solstice for example.

By the way, does anyone have a view on Keith Jarrett's forays into Bach? I am tempted to try and listen to his Goldberg variations. ECM engineering must do wonders for the sound of harpsichord, but it is difficult for me to make sense of the comments on Amazon, which are extremely mixed.

Personally, I feel Jarrett's Bach is very sterile sounding; i.e., he plays the right notes, but without any real sense of the music and in a very mechanical fashion. I'd look on it as more of a novelty ("jazz musician plays Bach!) than as a viable choice for these works.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Personally, I feel Jarrett's Bach is very sterile sounding; i.e., he plays the right notes, but without any real sense of the music and in a very mechanical fashion. I'd look on it as more of a novelty ("jazz musician plays Bach!) than as a viable choice for these works.

Agree, Jarrett's Bach is decent at best, both in the Goldberg and in the Well Tempered Clavier. Go for Perahia, Schiff, or Hentaï instead.

However, he's done a very nice job on this one, which by the way is also well recorded:

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Preludes-Fugues-op-Jarrett/dp/B000006MTX

I would say that the Dave Holland Quintet recordings are excellent.

There's a lot of ECM recordings from the 70's that have a unique sound that may not be fully transparent but have a wonderful character that I enjoy. Something like Ralph Towner's Solstice for example.

Not all Dave Holland's albums are so well recorded IMHO. Late 70s recording indeed some are really nice with specific sound signature however. For me more recent ones spund better. Latest James Farber mastering works are pretty good.

--

Krzysztof Maj

• 3 weeks later...
I already have Juni and As It Is seems to be better recorded IMHO. In the stores where I leave it is impossible now to buy physical CD, so I will go for download version in CD quality - shame that we cannot get HiRez version for such good albums. ECM, do you hear?

Yes I think so too.

It is indeed too bad that they are not available as Hi-Rez downloads,but probably they were recorded in 16/44,and I personally do not like upsampled albums.

For Hi Rez downloads with an ECM type sound(I actually dare to suggests that they are a notch above ECM in Sound Stage and placement)I recommend the Sound Liaison Studio Masters,especially the Paul Berner album;Road to Memphis has that ECM type sound.

on the sound Liaison site it is possible to hear the tracks before downloading(Paul Berner Band - SSS no.2),very sympatic small company.

Paul%20Band%20Milan%20300.png

I have it.I must admit I was a bit disappointed.I am a very big Jarrett and ECM fan but this album did not live up to my expectations,music and sound wise.I still prefer my Glenn Gould version.

Gould-K13-4.jpg1Y

@John, Musicophile and Christian U: many thanks for your valuable advice. I'll skip Keith Jarrett's Bach and, for the Goldbergs, stick to G. Gould, A. Staier and N. Angelich. That will save me quite some money: thank you again.

Just a quick pointer: the Open Goldberg Variations project (pianist: Kimiko Ishizaka) has produced a lovely recording that's available for free download here:

The Open Goldberg Variations, by Kimiko Ishizaka | Open Goldberg Variations

Grab the 24/96 FLACs - very well engineered recording, lovely performance, as well.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

@John, Musicophile and Christian U: many thanks for your valuable advice. I'll skip Keith Jarrett's Bach and, for the Goldbergs, stick to G. Gould, A. Staier and N. Angelich. That will save me quite some money: thank you again.

You may also want to check out, if you don't have then yet, the ECM Schiff recording for modern piano and and either of the two Pierre Hantaï recordings for cembalo.